• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    I keep trying to get my wife to find a good light compact handgun to carry in her purse. She refuses to even entertain the offer.

It just makes sense - she carries books, bricks (if I didn't know any better) and god knows what else in her huge purses but just won't try. Suggestions?

Sweet talking was a non-success...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ever heard the saying "you can't push a rope"?

Well... You're trying, in vain, to push a rope.

It MUST be her choice or you won't gain any traction at all.

-J-

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    It took me close to 4 years, but it finally paid off a few years ago. A few things helped:

• Getting her LTCH - I was able to convince her to get hers based on the scneario that "What if I left my gun in the truck, and you are driving it and get pulled over..."
    • Once she got her LTCH, we had several Honest discussion of the benefits of carrying, most of which were me telling her why I carry, and how often I carry (everywhere legal to do so)
    • Show her some POSITIVE examples of other women carrying and using the gun to defend themselves
    • Take her to a training course about using a pistol for self defense. Most instructors spend a fair amount of time going over the case for having armed citizens ready to defend themselves, which seems to help convince them. (They are hearing the same message from an "expert" that their husband "the idiot ;)" has been telling them)
    Sometimes they just won't carry though. Often it is about the concern of "what if I lose my purse" or "what if I drop my purse" etc.

Good luck!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Do you have kids?

My wife isn't worried about her own safety, but would kill a whole army of zombies to protect the kiddos.

She also can't imagine the kids growing up without mom, so she's much more interested in doing what it takes to keep herself alive, for the sake of the kids.

If you don't have kids, it would still be traumatic for you to go through life if you lost her.

Most people don't think about the effect their death will have on the people around them, but once they do tend to change their tune about taking care of themselves.

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It is really her choice, I mean I've been with some girls that hated guns and some that loved them. My current girlfriend wasn't to happy about guns until I started to teach her gun safety, and taking her out to the a private range every weekend for the summer. Now she loves guns. Hell I just picked up a PX4 Storm Sub-Compact this past weekend, and I think she might just "steal" it from me ;-) and about a year and a half ago she wouldn't even touch my guns. If after all the time you put into trying to get them to carry and they won't don't push it...though atleast try to see if she'd be willing to carry a stun gun or mace, something is always better then NOTHING.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    My wife carries and I'm thankful. At the time she got her LTCH, she was driving home from work at 2am down Hwy 67.

You have received some good advice friend.

Getting her LTCH - I was able to convince her to get hers based on the scneario that "What if I left my gun in the truck, and you are driving it and get pulled over..."
    Once she got her LTCH, we had several Honest discussion of the benefits of carrying, most of which were me telling her why I carry, and how often I carry (everywhere legal to do so)
    Show her some POSITIVE examples of other women carrying and using the gun to defend themselves
    Take her to a training course about using a pistol for self defense. Most instructors spend a fair amount of time going over the case for having armed citizens ready to defend themselves, which seems to help convince them. (They are hearing the same message from an "expert" that their husband "the idiot ;)" has been telling them)

+1 to jblom

Then there is my favorite saying, "Chicks with guns is sexy."

Good luck in your efforts. Until she is comfortable doing it, it's not safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Walled Lake, MI
    Mine started carrying after trying to deposit a large sum of money at a atm when some jerk came too close. Nothing happen I was in the car with a gun I explained to the it is a good way to get shot. The ATM was in the foyer of the bank and you need to swipe ATM to get in. You need to stay out side till the person was done with their transaction.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I keep trying to get my wife to find a good light compact handgun to carry in her purse. She refuses to even entertain the offer.

It just makes sense - she carries books, bricks (if I didn't know any better) and god knows what else in her huge purses but just won't try. Suggestions?

Sweet talking was a non-success...

Have you tried the puppy dog eyes... works on me every time.

In all seriousness, the above posts have been very good, especially jbloomenberg's.

Is your wife against purse carrying or just any type of carrying? Is she against shooting too?

There is some free training coming up in June with HandK that is not too far from you. Check out the thread in the women's forum. Taking training with a bunch of ladies only might help if she's at all intersted.

If she is just dead set against a gun, the other post that said you can't push a rope is the truth.

Also have her get on here and read the Cornered Kitty thread that's in the women's forum. Some really good information there.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have the same issue. My wife has her LTCH and we hit the range once a week. BUT she won't carry cause she is afraid the kids will get into her purse. Its a legit concern. Especially since she loses her cell phone like once a quarter.... She says when the kids get older she will carry. Makes me nervous when she goes to evening events with the girls. what can ya do? pray and leave the lights on, I guess.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have the same issue. My wife has her LTCH and we hit the range once a week. BUT she won't carry cause she is afraid the kids will get into her purse. Its a legit concern. Especially since she loses her cell phone like once a quarter.... She says when the kids get older she will carry. Makes me nervous when she goes to evening events with the girls. what can ya do? pray and leave the lights on, I guess.

My wife decided she wants and IWB holster so they kids won't be able to get ahold of her pistol without her knowing.

decal1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Jamestown, Indiana
    I am pretty sure I have my wife talked into getting her LTCH. She uses the excuse we don't have the money. So I am getting ready to go get the money orders and hand them to her. So much for that excuse.:):

I know she is interested in getting a handgun and carrying, but she's being a little timid about it. I just keep nudging her gently along. The other day she was online looking at purses with the concealment compartment when I walked in on her, so I know we're making progress in the right direction.

I guess you just have to use whatever method works best for your wife. Mine you can't push hard or she will resist like a mule.

My 2 cents worth anyway.:)

Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    I'm in the "process" of slowly trying to show mine the benefits. It will take time, but I think she is starting to come around. Good luck.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    A friend got his wife to carry by taking her purse shopping, He popped for the real nice purses that have the Carry slot in them.

She was pro carry but not willing to put up with a heavy pocket or holster BUT as soon as she got a purse of her choice she got serious about carry

Then he took her and let her pick out the gun she wanted to carry, while the gun she picked is one that me and my buddy would never carry she was happy with it.

She picked out a Taurus Millinum Pro in 380,

nothing wrong with the gun just the caliber but she felt comfortable with it and she will carry it

Good luck

kamum76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    I got my LTCH permit because crime is high and I want to protect myself and my 2 daughters if I had too.
    Take her shooting, maybe it might make her comfortable?

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    It took me close to 4 years, but it finally paid off a few years ago. A few things helped:

• Getting her LTCH - I was able to convince her to get hers based on the scneario that "What if I left my gun in the truck, and you are driving it and get pulled over..."
    • Once she got her LTCH, we had several Honest discussion of the benefits of carrying, most of which were me telling her why I carry, and how often I carry (everywhere legal to do so)
    • Show her some POSITIVE examples of other women carrying and using the gun to defend themselves
    • Take her to a training course about using a pistol for self defense. Most instructors spend a fair amount of time going over the case for having armed citizens ready to defend themselves, which seems to help convince them. (They are hearing the same message from an "expert" that their husband "the idiot ;)" has been telling them)
    Sometimes they just won't carry though. Often it is about the concern of "what if I lose my purse" or "what if I drop my purse" etc.

Good luck!
    ^^^^This^^^^^ plus a little;

I am currently at step one in his list my wife is applying for her LTCH. Then we will get her "her own" 22 to plink with and once whe is comfortable we will look at getting her a full time carry pistol. Be patient and be kind or else she will never do it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I dont think you can push someone to carry.
    If she is not comfortable with the idea its a good thing that she doesnt carry.
    Forcing someone to carry when they are not ready could lead to accidents.
    Also I think that purse carry is a very bad idea for a woman.If she's ever going to carry she needs to have her gun on her person and not in a bag that will be left away from her or that will be the first thing an attacker will grab in the street.
    Then you have a criminal with your purse, your ID and adress in it AND your own gun in case he was not armed already.

It depends how comfortable she is with guns.You need to be really comfortable with a gun in order to carry it.Take her to the range as much as you can.
    Just let her have fun and dont rush her to carry right away.

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    When I first met my wife she wasn't a fan of handguns. The first time she shot one at the range I loaded her a mag and she fired one shot and handed it back to me. She even seemed morally conflicted. I didn't push her and just kept her involved in my hobby at whatever level she chose. It took a couple years but she came around. Now she carries a Sig p250 in .357 sig in her purse. :-) Be patient my friend.

Top Bottom