• ...and so much more!
  • MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Nice idea, but that looks like a pretty light duty aluminium piece.

If so, even a slightly off angle pull could damage it, if not cause it to fail, and sent it flying.

I've thought of that, too. BMW has two tow points on the front and back, but provides only the one aluminum hook. I've thought about getting a couple of something like this, and there's plenty of storage down by the spare tire:

https://www.amazon.com/DEWHEL-Alumi...ocphy=9016087&hvtargid=pla-571647253835&psc=1

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    BMW also includes the threaded point and a tow hook in the tool kit.

BMW_tow.JPG

Thats interesting that BMW supplys that in todays world. I believe I would add a few threaded machinery eye bolts to your spare tire kit.

View attachment 74580

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Thats interesting that BMW supplys that in todays world. I believe I would add a few threaded machinery eye bolts to your spare tire kit.

View attachment 74580

Those look like they'd be much stronger than the aluminum BMW-supplied pieces.

On the other hand, maybe the manufacturer wanted something that would break if over-stressed, in a misguided attempt to limit the impact of ill thought out and implemented recovery efforts, like the guy who tore his hood off in the video, upthread?

I learned a lot of how to (and now not to) recover vehicles when the Fort Campbell mud swallowed up a 15,750 pound M198 howitzer and its 5-ton prime mover.

kramer5702

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 16, 2015
    Modoc
    I personally love seeing some trucks after theyve pulled someone out with the tow strap wrapped around their own axle...nothing like watching a dog legged truck try to drive straight down the road!

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I carried a strap in case I got stuck in the snow. I figure I'd hook up one end to my truck, and hold the other end out by the road. Couldn't be more than a couple minutes before someone in a truck would come pull me out. Never got to test my hypothesis, but it seems like solid theory.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Not sure that looks rugged enough for the work. What is the load rating on those machined ears.

Probably not. I just don't see many old school eyebolts these days.

We use the swivel ones lift large injection molds. And they are sized properly for the weight of the mold.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Probably not. I just don't see many old school eyebolts these days.

We use the swivel ones lift large injection molds. And they are sized properly for the weight of the mold.

Makes sense. Thing to be wary of is the initial impact on the rings you use to do the task. I can see the ears getting snatched right off that nicely made swivel.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Makes sense. Thing to be wary of is the initial impact on the rings you use to do the task. I can see the ears getting snatched right off that nicely made swivel.

We have some around here that we use the overhead crane to pick up, just to screw them into the mold.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    The problems with using synthetic winch line is heat ( 150* ) if the winch has a internal brake or rubbing a simple burr anywhere from the winch drum, fare lead, mounting plate to what you are winching out or connected to will cause rope failure. Chain and steel cable are dirt and mud compatible and will give advance warning before failure.
    Synthetic rope doesn't get along with anything abrasive at all.
    I'm a sailboat guy, lots of catastrophic failures in recent decades with folks using dyneema or spectra ropes. Nothing quite like a burr on a piece of rigging to cut synthetic rope and the end result is a demasting.
    I get it that its easier and lighter to use, but dont kid yourself that its a better product than wire rope or chain..

You make some valid points, but if you maintain your winch and equipment like you're supposed to there is no comparison in safety.
    Go watch some of the YouTube videos of what happens when a steel cable winch line breaks as opposed to a synthetic line.

99% of the time you aren't having to rig in the sense you're thinking while wheeling or off roading. Most of the time you're throwing a tree saver around a tree, a soft shackle through it and hooking up your winch and dragging out, very seldom do you ever use blocks and do a double line pull or similar to have to worry about burrs, and if your winch drum has burrs, well...you should have already replaced it.

After seeing first hand steel cable snap I will never use it, it turns D-rings into projectiles.

But just like firearms this could turn into a 1911 vs Glock debate- to each their own.

Top Bottom