How would you like to be treated by law-enforcement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delta3Two

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    The issue of the .gov "issuing" permissions to "allow" citizens the right to "Keep & Bear Arms" is a violation of the US Constitution. What part of "shall not be infringed" does one not understand ?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    what i ment was skew the jury pool ????
    and if you think it's never happend your lying to your self.

2. If asked a ? here and was truely interested in i would not wait over 3 days to cheack and thank members for takeing there time to comment
    and its 4days now
    Go back and look at the original post. It was updated after the thread went south. He was watching the answers, not arguing them. When someone asks a question, they tend to listen to the answers given if they really intended to get them in the first place.

sgtonory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Carmel
    I would like to be completely ignored unless you have suspicion that I am breaking a law. That goes for OC also, leave the person alone for exercising their rights. MWAG calls should result in the caller being informed of the law.

See post #3 for how to do a license check.

Don't touch my gun, ever.
    Well said. And unless you suspect someone of a real crime as in there is a victim not some bull crap you are breaking some statue witch is not "law'. You have no right to stop them!

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Doesn't happen that way. We receive complaints from all over the city. We read them as "extra patrols" in roll calls and then give them to their respctive "beat officers". As far as missing children, we pull out the stops for missing children from 12 on down. We actively look for these children until they are found. Not by 1 or 2 officers but all available units no matter what type of child it is. Detectives are called in to assist and County helps when they can.

In other words "rich and influential people" don't really get special treatment here. I can't and won't jeopardize my job because some special person turns up driving drunk and we fail to do something.

Granted it probably doesn't happen a lot at your level in Evansville and not knowing you it is hard for me to say how much you would buck the system, or not, to jeopardize your job or pension.

As far as missing persons goes. I doubt that you guys drop everything to "actively" hunt for these kids. That's just not possible. You have other calls to do and patrols to make.

What in my experience actually happens is you take the report, a bolo goes out, amber alert, and you spend as much time as you can on it until you get another call. At that point it you try to work it in between calls or a detective picks it up.

After that it's business as usual whether they are found or not. It's not worked by the patrol officer day in and day out until they are found and by the sheer number of missing kids from lower middle to poor class families I don't think the detectives are doing a bang up job of finding them.

Interesting info on missing kids:
    FAQ: Missing Children

But wait, it says something entirely different on the internet!

Actually practice and history says differently.

It is a fact that certain members of society receive their own version of "justice".

Poor minority kid goes missing, you may never hear about it (unless some advocacy group gets a hold of it). Rich or upper middle class white girl goes missing - national news, for years.

The average citizen gets screwed over by the IRS - nothing. Some politician gets screwed by accident by them and it's congressional hearings.

Poor average joe gets harassed and possibly falsely charged by police. Lucky if he gets a plea deal if not thrown in jail till years later dna evidence (if he's lucky) gets him out.

Try that crap with Bill Gates and you'll be lucky to even have a job.

Fact of life.

Last edited:

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Well said. And unless you suspect someone of a real crime as in there is a victim not some bull crap you are breaking some statue witch is not "law'. You have no right to stop them!

The law is the law. While a police officer has the option to not stopping and detaining an open carrier they certainly have every "right" under the current situation. You can work to change it, and you can ask the cops to ignore it, but they don't have listen to you (or me.)

brian.derby

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    This may well have already been said, but here goes anyway. I treat EVERY LEO the way I would like to be treated, with respect. I have never been unduly harassed, and most encounters ended with mutual respect. I open carry a lot lately, and have approached LEO to inquire about incidents or other such non-sense for personal reasons, and have again hardly had one even look cross eyed at me, let alone inquire about my LTCH. I even had one who did notice my weapon while talking about a burglary attempt at my house let me know that in his mind had a shooting occurred his report would note my fear for my safety as well as my families.

Not to say I don't have issue with the actions of some LEO's, but the better majority I have encounters with are very professional and even helpful.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Granted it probably doesn't happen a lot at your level in Evansville and not knowing you it is hard for me to say how much you would buck the system, or not, to jeopardize your job or pension.

As far as missing persons goes. I doubt that you guys drop everything to "actively" hunt for these kids. That's just not possible. You have other calls to do and patrols to make.

What in my experience actually happens is you take the report, a bolo goes out, amber alert, and you spend as much time as you can on it until you get another call. At that point it you try to work it in between calls or a detective picks it up.

After that it's business as usual whether they are found or not. It's not worked by the patrol officer day in and day out until they are found and by the sheer number of missing kids from lower middle to poor class families I don't think the detectives are doing a bang up job of finding them.

Interesting info on missing kids:
    FAQ: Missing Children

Everything is put on hold until the child is found. I can call in extra personnel if needed. I can also call dispatch and tell them to hold non essential runs until the child is found. That has been our policy and will continue to do so. This is also the policy of endangered adults or people with special needs. We will do this until the child is found or until we turn it over to the next shift and they continue.

As far as people with influence, they can be locked up as easy as others. I have seen judges, lawyers and university officials be booked it. We are not the largest department or city but we do have 288 officers (not counting civilian personnel or County Deputies.).

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Everything is put on hold until the child is found. I can call in extra personnel if needed. I can also call dispatch and tell them to hold non essential runs until the child is found. That has been our policy and will continue to do so. This is also the policy of endangered adults or people with special needs. We will do this until the child is found or until we turn it over to the next shift and they continue.

Then Evansville is fairly unique because that first part does not happen in all cities.

As far as people with influence, they can be locked up as easy as others. I have seen judges, lawyers and university officials be booked it. We are not the largest department or city but we do have 288 officers (not counting civilian personnel or County Deputies.).

Of course anyone can be arrested as easy as anyone else. It's what happens after the arrest that can vary significantly depending on your level in society. You also happen to be lucky to work for a dept. with a fairly strong collective bargaining unit and a good chief. In some departments "arresting" the wrong person (or even just pissing them off) can be a career ender.

Last edited:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Then Evansville is fairly unique because that first part does not happen in all cities.

Of course anyone can be arrested as easy as anyone else. It's what happens after the arrest that can vary significantly depending on your level in society. You also happen to be lucky to work for a dept. with a fairly strong collective bargaining unit and a good chief. In some departments "arresting" the wrong person (or even just pissing them off) can be a career ender.

Kids are pretty important. We've had that written into our SOP for years. I'm very happy to state that when a missing child call goes out we get a ton of officers calling enroute to assist. We've seen too many battered children down here.

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    i talked to an officer in norris city il. a couple of weeks ago and i know how id like her to treat me! im cool with handcuffs just not the baton :(

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I see a lot of pissing from both sides and neither side willing to see the other sides point of view at all.

I can see both sides to an extent.

Frank, you are wrong.

Jack, you are wrong,

Throttle, you are wrong.

Every one is looking at this from their own personal perspective, and yes officers have a different personal perspective. I know at least one officer that changed his perspective after an interaction with a person and I know of at least 2 people that have changed their opinions about officers after learning more.

Most officers are not the bad guys, I personally trust none of them, until I get to know them, which mean Frank, Denny, and Phylo and a few other officers here I trust no more than I trust the guy around the block, until I actually meet you.

I trust you based on your willingness to participate in these threads and what you have said, but if I meet you in your official capacity I have no reason to trust you, just the same as you have no reason to trust me.

To you guys hammering Frank, Denny or anyone else willing to participate in these threads, just ****ing tone it down a notch, how many of these threads are these officers willing to participate in, and how many will they participate in if they are just brow beaten to death? It would be like us going to that Copblock.com or whatever it is and trying to give our point of view.

Damn, I feel better now

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    sticking-tongue-out.jpg

Top Bottom