How would you like to be treated by law-enforcement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    I would like to be treated the exact same way you treat fellow officers! Your badge does NOT make you special, or above others or above the law...contrary to what way too many LEOs around here think.

by "here" I mean Hancock county, not INGO

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I saw no zinger in there. Why would you ask for evidence then ignore it when its presented? :dunno:

Seems to me that you are the one who is clearly uninformed, and when information is provided you choose to ignore it. Now you seem butthurt by the fact that the truth is shown to you/about you. WTF?

I've been called out several times in this one thread by different members.
    Did this member really have a reason to repeat what others have already said and which I have already admitted fauilt and apoliogized for? ... or was he just looking to "zing" me?
    Thank you for bringing it up once again.
    Geez!
    I'm so glad I'm not perfect like all of you guys.... NOR as critical! :noway::noway::noway:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I've been called out several times in this one thread by different members.
    Did this member really have a reason to repeat what others have already said and which I have already admitted fauilt and apoliogized for? ... or was he just looking to "zing" me?
    Thank you for bringing it up once again.
    Geez!
    I'm so glad I'm not perfect like all of you guys.... NOR as critical! :noway::noway::noway:

Can we ALL get back to the topic at hand now?????

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    No wonder they took "To Serve and Protect" off of all the patrol cars, they aren't required to do either.

LAPD is the only department that was known for having that on the cars. IPD pre-merge had "police-community partnership."

I will do everything in my power to help those that need it and to protect those that cannot protect themselves. I will not however, be treated like you own me because your meager tax contribution "pays my salary."

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    LAPD is the only department that was known for having that on the cars. IPD pre-merge had "police-community partnership."

I will do everything in my power to help those that need it and to protect those that cannot protect themselves. I will not however, be treated like you own me because your meager tax contribution "pays my salary."

All I ask is that before you curb stomp me can I take off my glasses? Thanks, you're a pal. :D

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville

We're not going THERE AGAIN are we?

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN

Well said! I have found it very difficult to engage in a rational exchange of thought or reason here in most of the discussions concerning open carry. Excuse the pun but some members here seem to be going off half cocked most of the time. Get ready for some blasting over my remarks!:ar15:

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I am surprised to hear this from someone who purports to be a retired LEO.

The mere fact that a LEO has received a MWAG run does NOT mean that a LEO "has a responsibility to do their job and investigate why this person has a gun and to confirm that they are legal if they are dispatched to do so."

A LEO's responsibilty at ALL times is to respect the civil rights of citizens. It is NOT a citizen's responsibility to prove that he has a legal right to possess a gun. It is the responsibility of a LEO to prove it if a citizen does NOT have a right to do so. A LEO does not have the right to detain an armed citizen minus a reasonable articulable suspicion that the citizen's firearm is being used to further a crime.

It greatly alarms me that you have been placed in a position to train law enforcement officers.

It's because of the shift from "innocent till proven guilty" where the burden was upon the state/government to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt to the "guilty till proven innocent" mentality where the citizen must prove innocence to the state/government.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'll treat you with as much respect as you deserve. But I am in no way your "servant" and won't cowtow to you.
    AND THEN LATER . . .

Personally I think your statements are totally reasonable. I don't expect you to be my 'servant' but on the other hand I do expect that you should leave me alone absent any suspicion that I have done anything wrong. Mutual respect is all I ask for. I'm innocent until proven guilty. That must be remembered when you deal with me. Further, if I exhibit no criminal behavior then you have no reasonable suspicion to believe that I have/or am about to commit any criminal activity.

If I do something that raises your suspicion then I have no problem with you questioning me to see if I have a LTCH. But if I'm simply the object of a MWAG call and you observe nothing unusual, then it clear that you have no reasonable suspicion so then I say, please leave me alone.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Frank confuses the word "servant" with "menial".

Historically many servants were given positions of great power and authority over others. However, they always understood they were to act in the best interest of their employers, their masters so to speak. In other words for today's civil servants, the great American public.

Based upon Franks understanding of the concept of a civil servant he would probably also expect the Secretary of State to take dictation notes and run the copy machine at presidential cabinet meetings.:laugh:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Historically many servants were given positions of great power and authority over others. However, they always understood they were to act in the best interest of their employers, their masters so to speak. In other words for today's civil servants, the great American public.

Based upon Franks understanding of the concept of a civil servant he would probably also expect the Secretary of State to take dictation notes and run the copy machine at presidential cabinet meetings.:laugh:

But a 'civil servant' is not a servant in the true sense of the word. They are there to do a task within the context of their jobs, not to cater to the whims and wishes of individual taxpayers. They report to their employer, who is their department (be it police department, dept of motor vehicles, dept of natural resources, school board, etc etc), not to the individual citizens.

If they reported to individual citizens then we could ask them to bring us coffee when we are sleepy and need to stay awake. Their function is to protect the general order of society.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    But a 'civil servant' is not a servant in the true sense of the word. They are there to do a task within the context of their jobs, not to cater to the whims and wishes of individual taxpayers. They report to their employer, who is their department (be it police department, dept of motor vehicles, dept of natural resources, school board, etc etc), not to the individual citizens.

If they reported to individual citizens then we could ask them to bring us coffee when we are sleepy and need to stay awake. Their function is to protect the general order of society.

You're right-on there.
    I dated a Postal Worker and she was totally useless. She wouldn't do anything I asked her to do. In or out of the bedroom. :(
    All I got from her was a bigger bicep. Seriously!

Marcinko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    Respect

I don't view being asked to see my license to carry any different than being asked to see my hunting or fishing license. If a CO happens to come upon you while hunting or fishing it is almost a sure thing he will ask to see a license.
    Not always as I have been passed by without any questions but for the most part when they do ask they are respectful of the person and not offensive. When we hunt we have guns and the CO's I have encountered were no different than when I was fishing.
    I think LEO's are always offensive and uptight and have a different mindset which puts them on the offense and they come across that way. The ones I have encountered act as though I have been a lifelong criminal just because I wasn't wearing a seat belt or was speeding....whats up with that?
    So a little respect goes a long way, don't approach us with an attitude, have some Respect and always be cautious as not everyone is a good guy.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    AND THEN LATER . . .

Personally I think your statements are totally reasonable. I don't expect you to be my 'servant' but on the other hand I do expect that you should leave me alone absent any suspicion that I have done anything wrong. Mutual respect is all I ask for. I'm innocent until proven guilty. That must be remembered when you deal with me. Further, if I exhibit no criminal behavior then you have no reasonable suspicion to believe that I have/or am about to commit any criminal activity.

If I do something that raises your suspicion then I have no problem with you questioning me to see if I have a LTCH. But if I'm simply the object of a MWAG call and you observe nothing unusual, then it clear that you have no reasonable suspicion so then I say, please leave me alone.

I don't make it a habit of contacting people that haven't done something to deserve it. That something being a violation of the Indiana Code or Marion County ordinances. Absent that, we probably won't ever speak unless its in passing with a "whats up?" kind of nod.

My response was based on the context used by ThrottleJockey. Not really a reason to make a veiled personal insult toward me, but do whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

If they reported to individual citizens then we could ask them to bring us coffee when we are sleepy and need to stay awake.

Apparently there are still some people that think thats exactly what civil/public servant stands for.

So a little respect goes a long way, don't approach us with an attitude, have some Respect and always be cautious as not everyone is a good guy.

The same goes with LEOs. Don't approach me like I am automatically going to give you attitude. I'm not going to come out with it first, but I sure ain't going to back down from it either.

Top Bottom