How would you like to be treated by law-enforcement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Giddaltti

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Carmel, IN.
    I'm not sure what the argument is:

- being stopped and being asked to surrender the firearm?

- being questioned about it?

* A LEO is a public servant, no more! They work for you and I.

Having said that, two weeks ago my SO was stopped for making an illegal right turn. She drove off and didn't stop for about a mile and pulled in to a parking lot. After the discussion as to why she was stopped, the officer proceeded to explain, next time you see my lights please stop. He then said, "Thank you for considering my safety, and looking for a parking lot before stopping however, once you see the lights I've made the determination that it's safe to pull your vehicle to the side."

In short, the experience tought me that we should and do consider an officer's well being. It's about safety, as stated they are our officers.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Have no idea what the link is, just know that it is true. A LEO cannot pull you over to just check your license.

Carrying a handgun in Indiana is illegal, BUT if you have an LTCH you are granted that privilege.

If you want the link, find it or just wait, someone will post it up sooner or later, they always do. Still does not change the fact that I am 100% correct

Sounds like you're a liberal. They just say things and expect everyone else to believe it is fact.
    For as long as I have been a member of this board and many other such messge boards in fact if a person calls a court's opinion into play he should post a link to said documents for clarification.
    Just common sense AND common courtesy.... sorry it dosen't meet with your approval. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    You can cry foul if you want. It's called situational awareness in the real world. :)

Situational awareness should be for personal protection and should never be lax.... What it sounded to me like was that you were suggesting the idea of dispatching an officer to "observe" someone that some sheeple somewhere were spooked by.
    As evidence by this very thread I think that certain law enforcement officers would consider the mere posssession of a handgun by a civilian as "questionable" or "not normal behavior". Do you really think this is a good idea????? In the REAL WORLD I mean.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In response to the OP, my only interaction with a LEO I didn't know in response to my carrying was simple. He was standing at the coffee machine to my right filling his cup, I was filling mine. Without either of us ever stopping what we were doing he asked simply, "Do you have a license for that?". My response was "Yes". His response was "O.k., have a nice day". My response, "You too".

I was CC'ing but printing terribly, at least enough for a trained or aware eye to notice anyway.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    Does Delaware have some juristiction here in Indiana? Or do we really use court cases from other states to help decide on cases here in Indiana?
    I am NOT a lawyer.....I am asking a serious question.

The case was ruled on by the Supreme Court of the United States.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Does Delaware have some juristiction here in Indiana? Or do we really use court cases from other states to help decide on cases here in Indiana?

I'm guessing you didn't click on either link?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

You really need to close your mouth and open your ears a little if this confuses you. Do some reading and research, it is not our job to convince you of how laws work or what they mean- it is YOUR responsibility.

You obviously have the internet at your fingertips- use it a little and get back with us.

As far as the OP I would appreciate NOT being put in handcuffs just becuase I don't answer your stupid questions during a consensual stop. I will give you my LTCH if I have a handgun in my possession and that is as far as it goes. I will not talk, you will not have consent to disarm me, search me or detain me.

I know my rights and I won't be bullied into waiving them.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    You really need to close your mouth and open your ears a little if this confuses you. Do some reading and research, it is not our job to convince you of how laws work or what they mean- it is YOUR responsibility.

You obviously have the internet at your fingertips- use it a little and get back with us.

As far as the OP I would appreciate NOT being put in handcuffs just becuase I don't answer your stupid questions during a consensual stop. I will give you my LTCH if I have a handgun in my possession and that is as far as it goes. I will not talk, you will not have consent to disarm me, search me or detain me.

I know my rights and I won't be bullied into waiving them.

I stand corrected. YOU are correct and I was wrong in this instance.
    May all of correspondence to you be as respectful as your response to me.:n00b:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Don't get all teary eyed and butthurt now, YOU were the one who called a good friend a liberal. Nothing I said was even off color or rude. :n00b: :rolleyes:

Teary eyed and butthurt? I didn't tell anyone to[STRIKE] shut up [/STRIKE]shut their mouth and I consider that rude and disrespectful.
    I only referenced the liberal comment because he made it appear that he was too good to provide references. If you got butthurt over that ....ummmm.... so sad.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    You understand that it is illegal to carry a handgun in Indiana unless you have a permit.
    As such, you understand that an officer can approach you and ask for your permit, especially if someone calls in about you. Please realize that the dispatchers at every 911 center that I know are civilians and are not familiar with the laws.

Hard to talk to a training officer about how things should be done under the law when they are calling the license in question a "permit."

As far as dispatchers go, it is a thankless job; that is for sure. However, if what you say is correct, obviously some in service training/certification is in order on common calls and the laws that surround them.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Teary eyed and butthurt? I didn't tell anyone to[STRIKE] shut up [/STRIKE]shut their mouth and I consider that rude and disrespectful.
    I only referenced the liberal comment because he made it appear that he was too good to provide references. If you got butthurt over that ....ummmm.... so sad.

I was just repeating the best advice I ever received when I was blabbering on about a subject I didn't know about and several guys were trying very hard to explain it to me. I didn't know you were so sensitive, next time I'll say "pretty please with sugar on top." ;)

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    Maybe you should have clicked the links in the post you quoted.

You too are correct sir.
    Aas a matter of fact I did click the link and found that the decision was for Delaware and I didn't bother to read the entire court record... I usually find them wordy long and boring.
    I was still wrong.

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    I was just repeating the best advice I ever received when I was blabbering on about a subject I didn't know about and several guys were trying very hard to explain it to me. I didn't know you were so sensitive, next time I'll say "pretty please with sugar on top." ;)

Honestly I just want the same respect you do.

Truce?

Since we're way off subject here now.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You too are correct sir.
    Aas a matter of fact I did click the link and found that the decision was for Delaware and I didn't bother to read the entire court record... I usually find them wordy long and boring.
    I was still wrong.

Supreme Court decisions are binding on the whole country.

Top Bottom