How would you like to reload a couple days worth of this?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Though, the Dutch came up with a system called Goalkeeper which uses the GAU-8 off the A10, I don't know why the US didn't move to it honestly. But then again, CIWS is an older system, the primary system on the US side is now missle based, the Rolling Airframe Missle or SEARAM

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Pretty amazing stuff. I wonder what kind of plastic is used for the Sabo that won’t melt under the extreme carrel heat that gun must generate. Don’t the barrels tend to “plastic“ up similar to how a normal barrel gets leaded?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Its for those up armored Somalian Pirates.

Must be some heavy boats out there. Just from personal experience I've not seen much that a BMG can't get through with M2 ammo. That 20mm PELE is advertised to be good through 10mm homogeneous plate but the distance was not included.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The Phalanx CIWS is a case of a weapon system that was designed for something else, being quick patched so it can handle an emerging threat.

CIWS as built was intended for aerial threats. Anti Missile and Anti Aircraft. .. it was patched for anti small boat later.

The CIWS is computer aimed... and the computer is bloody effective. The CIWS is always there and available. Flip a switch and the computer will go to town on anything. Is the round completely overkill for small boats? Yes.. but that small quick round is -vital- for its anti missile defense mission...

Most US Navy ships mount both 50 cals, and 25 mm Mark 38 MGS (Bushmasters) as well in the small boat defense role. But its nice having something you can use in a pinch if your not at General Quarters and some boat or drone approaches.

1710801187724.jpeg

1710801246339.jpeg

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    The Phalanx CIWS is a case of a weapon system that was designed for something else, being quick patched so it can handle an emerging threat.

CIWS as built was intended for aerial threats. Anti Missile and Anti Aircraft. .. it was patched for anti small boat later.

The CIWS is computer aimed... and the computer is bloody effective. The CIWS is always there and available. Flip a switch and the computer will go to town on anything. Is the round completely overkill for small boats? Yes.. but that small quick round is -vital- for its anti missile defense mission...

Most US Navy ships mount both 50 cals, and 25 mm Mark 38 MGS (Bushmasters) as well in the small boat defense role. But its nice having something you can use in a pinch if your not at General Quarters and some boat or drone approaches.

View attachment 340878

View attachment 340879
    That video of the Russian ship getting attacked by drone boats had a ton of hate being laid down by exactly these equivalent weapon systems.

Didn't work.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That video of the Russian ship getting attacked by drone boats had a ton of hate being laid down by exactly these equivalent weapon systems.

Didn't work.
    The Russian systems have some questionable guidance..

Western CIWS systems have a proven track record.

A variant of this system, the CRAM, routinely shot down mortar rounds..

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I am not talking about those.. I am talking about this..

View attachment 340909
    I am skeptical of that primarily air search radar's ability to lock a low slung drone boat or semi submersible type vehicle in choppy seas. All radars suffer from ground clutter. Far as I know the CIWS does not have a laser seeking function to work with a designator. Do they have an optics suite it can slave to?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Considering what it's targets are, how much armor does the navy expect on missiles, planes, and drones to need tungsten penetrators? :dunno:
    When you care enough to send the very best!
    There is a video floating around somewhere of a CWIS tracking an airliner flying over the ship!
    I worked on A7Es when I was in the Navy and they carried the M61 Vulcan 20mm multi barrel cannon. It was a monster. It was carried by most of our fighters since Vietnam.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I am skeptical of that primarily air search radar's ability to lock a low slung drone boat or semi submersible type vehicle in choppy seas. All radars suffer from ground clutter. Far as I know the CIWS does not have a laser seeking function to work with a designator. Do they have an optics suite it can slave to?
    That upgrade is the optics unit added to the side on newer models.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I find it hard to believe, those ships dont have gyro stabilization on them?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You guys know, that it isn't impossible to find 20 Vulcan ammo right....? Hard.. but not impossible

Or rifles chambered in it.

1710808754760.jpeg

Top Bottom