• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    :crying: Well I am so bummed out. I had at least 4 hummers and now for the last 2 days I have not seen them.:(:(:(

I wonder why they left? I have been using the same recipe for years so I know that is not the problem.
    I hope they come back. I love watching them.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    :crying: Well I am so bummed out. I had at least 4 hummers and now for the last 2 days I have not seen them.:(:(:(

I wonder why they left? I have been using the same recipe for years so I know that is not the problem.
    I hope they come back. I love watching them.

we have the samething going on.....we had over 20 birds last week ...now just a couple......don't understand what has happen :dunno:.....but it is a little ealry for the whole hurd to get here i think......we usually have over 50 birds by the beginning of june.....

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I am seeing way more orioles than hummingbirds, but I am still seeing both at the feeders. I am not seeing the numbers I typically see later in the summer.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    we have the samething going on.....we had over 20 birds last week ...now just a couple......don't understand what has happen :dunno:.....but it is a little ealry for the whole hurd to get here i think......we usually have over 50 birds by the beginning of june.....

I never have very many so 4-6 is normal for me. I just don't understand how they are here for a week then leave.
    I wish I had as many as what you get.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I never have very many so 4-6 is normal for me. I just don't understand how they are here for a week then leave. I wish I had as many as what you get.
    Those are probably transients, headed north, stopping for some juice. We see our first one, then wait a week or more to see another.
    It takes about 20-30 days before our herd is here and settling in. Here's the ruby throat migration map Spring 2018 Migration of Ruby-throated Hummingbirds

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I finally did things right this summer and I've had a steady stream of hummingbirds usually one about every 10 minutes stopping by my feeders. I expanded and put out an oriole feeder. Now two nights in a row both the hummingbird and oriole feeders have been full when I go to bed and the next morning both are empty. I am certain that they are not leaking out. Any ideas on what is draining these overnight? Also I'm getting quite a few ants in my feeders, they are all strong off of Steel Shepherd's hooks, I'm wondering if anything can be put on those hooks that will stop the ants from getting to the theaters

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My mom lives across the road from us and feeds every bird in the county. She is ate up with humming birds as usual. But also has several pairs of orioles this year. We have had a couple here and there over the years, but never in large numbers. Pretty birds, but kind of annoying. I've been working in the garage a lot lately, so cars have been parked outside. Had one oriole that liked to perch on the edge of the passenger side window on my wife's car, peck and fight with it's reflection in the side mirror, while pooping all down the side of the car.:rolleyes:

I don't put hummingbird feeders out, but we have flowers they seem to like. None of which are out yet. The wife and me have been eating dinner on our patio a lot lately. Just in the last couple days, a single humming bird has been buzzing around us. The other day he stopped and hovered about a foot away from my face. Later he came buzzing into my garage and did it again. I think he's trying to shame me into putting up a feeder. Then last night while we were eating dinner, the wife was still dressed in her nice work clothes which included a blouse with a floral print, that humming bird flew right into one of those flowers on her shoulder. Scared the hell out of her. I may have laughed hysterically.:laugh:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I finally did things right this summer and I've had a steady stream of hummingbirds usually one about every 10 minutes stopping by my feeders. I expanded and put out an oriole feeder. Now two nights in a row both the hummingbird and oriole feeders have been full when I go to bed and the next morning both are empty. I am certain that they are not leaking out. Any ideas on what is draining these overnight? Also I'm getting quite a few ants in my feeders, they are all strong off of Steel Shepherd's hooks, I'm wondering if anything can be put on those hooks that will stop the ants from getting to the theaters

Raccoons dump mine out and sometimes pull them down. When I see this start happening, I just remove them at night for a week or so and put them back out every morning...seems to make them go away for a bit when they stop finding the feeders there.

My orioles all seem to have left now. They never seem to hang around more than a few weeks and the oranges and jelly are not being consumed anymore. Hummingbirds are here in full force.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I have hummingbirds everywhere here. I have tons of flowers and they are constantly zooming around. The four feeders are needing refilled before the food even has a chance to spoil.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I had this picture on my trail camera/security cam that hangs just below my pot of red geraniums...first time I have caught a hummingbird on the trail cameras!

c3jCDw8.jpg

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Mine have been hitting the feeders hard this week. I just filled them two days ago and they are all ready to be refilled again. Our flowers aren't doing great since we haven't had any rain and things are drying up in our yard. I haven't mowed since June and other than some weeds, it really doesn't need it very badly yet.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Whoa. Not here. Back mowing every 3 days and everything is growing well. Pretty stoked about my hay field. First cutting was just okay but as it’s going I may get three cuttings. As far as the hummingbirds they keep buzzing me in the yard. I cut the honeysuckle back and it hasn’t bloomed since spring. It usually keeps the hummers busy. I am going to put the feeders out again soon. I had some orioles cleaning up the mulberry’s they like to nest in the pasture but I haven’t seen any nests this year.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I am having to fill both of my hummingbird feeders each once or twice a day. The birds are consuming the nectar so fast that you can almost see the level of food shrinking.

Top Bottom