• ...and so much more!
  • ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Call me a real meany if you will, took the feeder down 8 days ago when it came time for a refill. This time of year it draws in too many yellow jackets or whatever they are and I've read for up around us you're only prolonging their migration putting them at greater risk to the elements if feeders are left out when the leave start to change. Our leaves are well along that way.

prolonging their migration in BS in my book.....i have feed them for over 30 years and when it is there time to leave they leave full feeders or not....i still have close to 20 birds still here of the 60 or so that was here this summer....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Yes, it was just one of those moments that you stand there thinking, This could not be happening to me.
    I was totally shocked how quite it was. It hovered by my ear for several seconds. I did not hear a sound until it changed spots.

All the birds know when it is time to move. A feeder is not going to detour them. They also need to bulk up.
    I have always leave mine up until I do not see one for a week or more.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    And just when you think they're all gone and you haven't seen one in weeks............my wife saw one once in November.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I still have about 20 & feeders are all 1/2 full. Ive had strays in the 3rd week in October. Leave at least 1 feeder with food til it frosts is what my dad taught me. It doesnt take much effort to keep fresh food out til Nov1.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    We still have a lot of hummingbirds here in SE Indiana and our feeders will be out as long as they want to eat. I notice when it rains they really fight over our feeders. I guess they can't get nectar from the flowers when it's wet & rainy so they fight over the food source (feeders)? They don't seem to fight each other as much when it's dry and sunny.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Still have several at my house but have been mostly seeing females.
    I used to think the same thing about this time every year, why no males, just females? I figured the males got beefed up and migrated earlier, maybe chasing the females off the feeders. Then I read somewhere that the males lose their iridescent neck feathers about now. No idea why or even if that's true.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My parents have a hummingbird feeder outside their dining room window. The hummingbirds are always fighting over the feeder, even though there is more than one place to drink. One day one of the hummingbirds flew into the screen and got stuck. My dad saw it, he open the window and push the beak through the screen and it flew away.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I counted last night and down to a dozen, the chill is getting them to head out it seems.
    I have done research over last 12yrs feeding these awesome little flyers and found the males leave first to go and make homes in their southern hemisphere summer areas. Males never loose their colors they simply take charge and take the lead and leave and prep. If it looks like a male that lost his his colors look at the tail feathers, if round tip and not pointed tip with white under tips on under side of tail feathers, theyre females. All males have left here ive noticed in last 48hrs. Im going to miss the little guys i really enjoy relaxing with them.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I've even seen them hitting the marigolds here. My hyacinth bean is done blooming, and that is one of their favorites. Feeders are still pretty busy in my yard but not as busy as a few weeks ago.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Hubby saw one the other day. I'm not seeing any and the feeders are full of bees. I need to get them down but was afraid of getting stung the other day so figured I'd get them in the next day or two when it is cooler. Supposed to be 35 here Friday night.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I still have a couple at my feeders today (Sunday), but I figure the low temps the next couple of nights will finally drive them away. Next, I take all of my leftover nectar and set it out in pans for the bees, and put away my feeders until next year.

Top Bottom