• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Judamonster

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2022
    Kinda late to the party, but I have started my daughter and a few friends along the way on squirrel. Started with a good .22-this will teach you patience, stalking, and alot of other fundamentals in locating/killing game. Learning to field dress, skin, and care for the meat are learned here as well. You learn really fast about spoiling the meat you worked so hard to get. Once a few squirrels are in your pot, move on to a 12 gauge shotgun. Go for a bird and deer combo. Dove hunting is a ton of fun and they taste great. You can also go for pheasant/quail/rabbit/turkey. I still use my slug gun for deer-it is the 1 gun for everything in the state. I hope you get into it and hope you have fun doing it.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Dove hunting...lots of action, tasty treat even tho it takes multiple birds for a meal. Plenty of shooting, good weather...starts in September. And it's a humbling experience, chances are you'll miss more than you drop.
    Great sport, greater eating.

Mom’s recipe corn bread stuffing, fill square cake pan w/ stuffing, press dove breasts into stuffing so only a spot of breast is visible. Bake at 350 till done. Side with good ol baked beans.

6 dove breasts wrapped in bacon, on flat cookie sheet. Bake till done, side with rice pilaf and steak fries.

Both serve two. My two cents.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    As mentioned above start with the DNR class, then start with getting out in the wild and watch the animals.. season does not matter, the more you just sit & watch the more you will learn.
    get range time with the exact set up you plan on hunting with, A LOT OF range time.. then start with small game , preferably varmint like ground hog.. you can hunt GH year round on private land & you are more likely to get permission for that then big game..
    GH can be hunted from a stand, I have taken many that way & it is great practice ( in better weather) for deer hunting..
    once squirrel season comes around you can start hunting them. ( assuming you have land permission) .. again you can hunt them from a stand.. all that time in the field you will have probably started to see deer & learn how the deer in the area travel..
    Turkey has 2 seasons, you will probably see turkey also..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Quite a bit more than I expected. I'm kind of shocked that vullfrog and turtle

I wasn't aware it was a DNR course requirement, I figured you just had to pay for the license and you were good to go. It makes a lot a sense. And will probably have plenty of good information for us.

Rogue6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2023
    US
    Hello all, I'm just joining this discussion an was wonder if indiana had any hunting services that would help someone learn to hunt. More of a field service than classroom

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Probably already said this but most learning type stuff is geared towards youth. Going to a GOOD hunter’s education class could help quite a bit for the basics. Other than that YouTube and just getting out there.

Top Bottom