• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I have not been in IN yet, though there are signs that they are around the area we hunt.

I have been down in TX and OK for them.... just got back from a trip recently.

Like most outdoor and hunting activities.... it can be a good time!

Make sure you take enough gun unless you like tracking alot.

Anything that will kill a deer will easily kill a hog, provided you hit them correctly. The problem is that a hog's vitals are farther forward and higher up the body than a deer or most other North American animals. Shoot a hog low and behind the shoulder like many do for a deer and you will have a long, probably fruitless tracking job regardless of what you use.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    One of my favorite WWII stories was from a US veteran that shot a wild boar in Germany. He was SICK of K-rations, so when he was on patrol and saw the wild boar he decided that some fresh meat would be good. He EMPTIED a 15 round M1 carbine magazine into it as it ran away. It did not drop until he fired his last shot. Upon examination of the hog, he discovered that half his bullets had hit it, but they BOUNCED OFF of its thick hide. The very last shot had entered the hogs anus as it ran away, and that shot instantly dropped it. It made the soldier rethink his weapon, and he replaced the carbine with an M1 Garand as soon as he could.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of my favorite WWII stories was from a US veteran that shot a wild boar in Germany. He was SICK of K-rations, so when he was on patrol and saw the wild boar he decided that some fresh meat would be good. He EMPTIED a 15 round M1 carbine magazine into it as it ran away. It did not drop until he fired his last shot. Upon examination of the hog, he discovered that half his bullets had hit it, but they BOUNCED OFF of its thick hide. The very last shot had entered the hogs anus as it ran away, and that shot instantly dropped it. It made the soldier rethink his weapon, and he replaced the carbine with an M1 Garand as soon as he could.

So for those people wanting to carry a .22 for self defense, you now have another option besides the ear canal! :):

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    We deer hunt south west of Bedford, I have been told by many people there are definitely hogs east of Bedford.

I have some friends in the tunnelton/ bedford area that have killed hogs on the river bottoms there. The last kill I know of was 3 years ago but I don’t see them guys a lot any more!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    From a purely selfish perspective, I wish there were hogs in Indiana. However, I'm glad we don't have the problem.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Deer taste pretty good as well, I think I'll stick with eating them.

The Russian boars are not much good for eating...my opinion.

Feral pigs? Pretty damn good if you stick with meat pigs and forget trophies.

Like venison, it's lean.... If you don't overcook it, it's good eating.

I'll take both!!!

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I took my boy to the 20 yr old wallow yesterday. Still some old mud on the surrounding trees and the tusk nicks in the bark are still visible. Thats about all thats left on my farm of the "Indiana Hogs ". Sad in a way.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I took my boy to the 20 yr old wallow yesterday. Still some old mud on the surrounding trees and the tusk nicks in the bark are still visible. Thats about all thats left on my farm of the "Indiana Hogs ". Sad in a way.

It is.... Not much in the way of folks actually raising hogs in Indiana these days.

Top Bottom