• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    In our experiences, nothing crashes like a Trane...also this climate is not what heat pumps were designed for. New used house is gas...so we installed a brand new American Standard forced air gas furnace and an American Standard central AC unit...less than $6000. Will never own another heat pump in this area again...they saved fuel by just burning money.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If memory serves, it’s pretty literal. Something like, it takes 12,000 btu to melt one ton of ice. Same way it takes 1 btu to raise 1lb of water 1 degree. We could never understand why they were called british thermal units when all of the other measurements were standard: pounds, tons, degrees in Fahrenheit. We called them ATU’s in our class. American Thermal Units. :patriot:

Yup. Now that info comes back up on the brain hard drive. Been way to long.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Boy.... rough crowd in here. I will keep my 20 SEER Bosch and high efficiency gas furnace. Best of both world. Mitsubishi inverter compressor is stupid quiet and next to nothing for energy use. REMC cut me a $750 rebate check and the Co-Op doesn’t come fill my LP tank every month. Win- win.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Boy.... rough crowd in here. I will keep my 20 SEER Bosch and high efficiency gas furnace. Best of both world. Mitsubishi inverter compressor is stupid quiet and next to nothing for energy use. REMC cut me a $750 rebate check and the Co-Op doesn’t come fill my LP tank every month. Win- win.

20 seer is insane.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County

i'll stick with my condensing boiler and in-floor radiant....80 bucks a month in LP....:)

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

Hold on to those savings. You’re gonna need all that money when (not if) those really expensive parts break.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    It still Has a 10 year parts warranty and when/if it ever dies, i’ll pull it out and drop another one in its place. That’s the benefit of being in the HVAC trade. I didn’t pay retail for it. They are surprisingly affordable compared to the high seer equipment from the big brands.

20 SEER is up there, but not at the top yet. I went Bosch due to the standard 24 volt controls.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    It still Has a 10 year parts warranty and when/if it ever dies, i’ll pull it out and drop another one in its place. That’s the benefit of being in the HVAC trade. I didn’t pay retail for it. They are surprisingly affordable compared to the high seer equipment from the big brands.

yes that is why i did in-floor when i built my house.....boiler has 15 year heat exchanger 5 years everything else...

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hold on to those savings. You’re gonna need all that money when (not if) those really expensive parts break.

20 SEER is up there, but not at the top yet. I went Bosch due to the standard 24 volt controls.
    This. The Bosch is so far below the big names that if it only lasts 10 years your still ahead. Doc fixed us up with the 18.5 seer 5 ton unit before the cooling season last year. Paired with a two stage blower it kept the house dry during the more mild temps with enough capacity to handle the extremes as well. We already had NG heat so I let the heat pump do its thing down to about 35 before switching over. The lower temps (100 ish degrees) are nice when it isn't freezing out and once it gets cold enough the gas does its thing. It was still putting out 100 degree heat at 30 but I heard it defrosting more often so I adjusted the changeover up. We weren't really chasing savings, our goal was comfort. As such utility costs stayed about the same as the 3 ton unit it replaced.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This. The Bosch is so far below the big names that if it only lasts 10 years your still ahead. Doc fixed us up with the 18.5 seer 5 ton unit before the cooling season last year. Paired with a two stage blower it kept the house dry during the more mild temps with enough capacity to handle the extremes as well. We already had NG heat so I let the heat pump do its thing down to about 35 before switching over. The lower temps (100 ish degrees) are nice when it isn't freezing out and once it gets cold enough the gas does its thing. It was still putting out 100 degree heat at 30 but I heard it defrosting more often so I adjusted the changeover up. We weren't really chasing savings, our goal was comfort. As such utility costs stayed about the same as the 3 ton unit it replaced.

So how does the change over between NG and HP work? Do you do it manually or is there a controller that handles it all for you?

I'm finding this entire thread to be fascinating btw.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    So how does the change over between NG and HP work? Do you do it manually or is there a controller that handles it all for you?

I'm finding this entire thread to be fascinating btw.

Either one. There are thermostats with remote outdoor air temp sensors that will perform switchover for you at a programmable setpoint. Or a traditional thermostat you can do it manually whenever you want to by switching to “emergency” heat.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Either one. There are thermostats with remote outdoor air temp sensors that will perform switchover for you at a programmable setpoint. Or a traditional thermostat you can do it manually whenever you want to by switching to “emergency” heat.

That's pretty cool. I had no idea such things existed. I guess I'm OK with Terminators overthrowing us with their technology as long as it's a comfy 68 or so while they do it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Give me a mercury stat and 4 wires all day

I fall somewhere in the middle with simple programmables to allow for small setbacks as necessary.

Though both my datacenter and church systems with cloud controls are nice. being able to remotely tweak the stats when the static schedule doesnt match the dynamic event schedule is nice. (and being able to lock the physical stat so nobody goes wild with the settings, burning money to condition an empty space. )

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I fixed a lot of furnaces when I was the lead maintenance tech at a plant. I even went to school for it, was universal certified and electrical certified. After switching sports, I haven't given it another thought. And I didn't have dummy lights.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom