• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We had an area undergoing teardown gentrification quite a few years ago. Built in late 1800s early 1900s and were the houses of prosperous professionals back in the day. I probably got 30 or 40 out of the area in a couple of years

This is pretty much what they looked like, more like they were blacksmithed than cast. I understand you can buy new lead weights for the purpose, desirable because they don't rust and take up less space for any given weight but I wasn't intersted in them for hanging windows

View attachment 78460

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I reject the notion that "pro America" means "buy America".

I'm pretty pro America and I believe in free trade and competition that makes all products better. Lack of foreign competition gets you Dodge Aspens and Chevy Chevettes.

Sorry im just a prisoner of my own character.

world trade from countries We have liberated are paying us back with better technologies but it has been many years now that we have used that knowledge to be competitive in our products. Some of us never gave up and drank the Japanese Koolaid.not to mention the Germans cheating and breaking our EPA Diesel laws and laughing about it. Should have put them out of business.

America... then and now.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

world trade from countries We have liberated are paying us back with better technologies but it has been many years now that we have used that knowledge to be competitive in our products. Some of us never gave up and drank the Japanese Koolaid.not to mention the Germans cheating and breaking our EPA Diesel laws and laughing about it. Should have put them out of business.

America... then and now.

Except for cheap electronics.

Also at this point do where car companies are based necessarily have anything to do with where the cars are built?
    That said if I had the money I'd own an American built Tesla

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Except for cheap electronics.

Also at this point do where car companies are based necessarily have anything to do with where the cars are built?
    That said if I had the money I'd own an American built Tesla

With WTA it is not where it’s made. It is where do the profits go. A small amount to your brothern (American employee) but it feeds the global monster. As an abstract thought, what if for one year all Americans only purchased American products from American corporations? Food and everything? Including your investments in your 401. ? Pretty abstact huh? The global monster shall consume us all because we want a cheaper or what we perceive to be a better product?

just fantasy thinking

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    With WTA it is not where it’s made. It is where do the profits go. A small amount to your brothern (American employee) but it feeds the global monster. As an abstract thought, what if for one year all Americans only purchased American products from American corporations? Food and everything? Including your investments in your 401. ? Pretty abstact huh? The global monster shall consume us all because we want a cheaper or what we perceive to be a better product?

just fantasy thinking

A lot of stuff I think we should buy American made and a lot of cheap **** we shouldn't be buying at all. That said I'm a big believer in comparative advantage, I think we should ship China airplanes and soybeans while they send us iPhones. The fact that these companies take their profits offshores is a separate issue from whether or not free trade is a net positive for the countries involved.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    The problem is the ChiComs want to steal corporate and military secrets through forced technology transfers and espionage so they can ship you ChiPhones, likely with surveillanceware included in the software

But Apple builds them there not out of concern to price them competitively, but to prodiuce them as cheaply as possible so the company makes the most money. Current estimates are that iPhones could be assembled here for less than $100 over current pricing, and if the company would trim its voracious appetite for profits (stockholders, too) there need be no change

The problem seems to turn around how wealthy you are exerting a corrosive force on patriotism

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Many things made in America are built somewhere else and assembled in America.

Aren't there some (admittedly weak) standards for percentages of US made content in order to be able to claim 'made in America' status. I don't think its ship all the parts and then assemble them (like Nike does with Chinese made components assembled in Vietnam because they don't want a made in china label)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Aren't there some (admittedly weak) standards for percentages of US made content in order to be able to claim 'made in America' status. I don't think its ship all the parts and then assemble them (like Nike does with Chinese made components assembled in Vietnam because they don't want a made in china label)

Yes it can be a full time job trying to figure who we are really helping but I try very hard to watch where my dollars go. It takes motivation to go as much America as you can. Some is easy. I will not buy third world cheap ammo that could hurt me or my guns and help Kathy Lee Gifford at the same time.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

America... then and now.
    They broke everyone's exhaust laws. The same ones that many people in this country with diesel engines hate.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Yes it can be a full time job trying to figure who we are really helping but I try very hard to watch where my dollars go. It takes motivation to go as much America as you can. Some is easy. I will not buy third world cheap ammo that could hurt me or my guns and help Kathy Lee Gifford at the same time.

I must confess to buying third world ammo in surplus 440 round sealed lots

Top Bottom