• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    Over the weekend I was to meet with a guy to sell a garden tractor. The gt is being repowered and the motor in it has never been ran by me.
    I was told it is a good motor that ran fine when pulled.

Anyway this guy comes to my house and the very first thing he does is goes staight to the motor and starts to hand turn the flywheel. He hears a faint tic, back and forth he moves the flywheel and the tic is in the same spot. He stands up and says the crank is broken and it's worthless to him.
    He then offers me about a quarter of what I was asking, saying it's just parts to him now and he would be lucky to get his money back.

Now I'm not a small engine guy, but I know enough to know the "tic" is just the normal "tic" you would hear when the motor hits TDC or the skirt on the piston hitting the cylinder. But since it's only one spot I"m leaning towards a TDC "tic". I kindly turned down his offer.

Either he was just plain ignorant to small engines or he was trying to scam me. Either way, he left emtpy handed.

The more I think about it the more I wish I would have called BS and explain to him engines with broken cranks to don't move air back and forth in and out of the spark plug hole. Plus you can feel the resistance in the motor when it's on it's compression stoke. You couldn't feel that when the plug was out.

After this I think I'm just going to finish the project and keep it.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If your crank is broken it would either vibrate to hell and back or not run...twisted my crank in my old cougar once, the car shook to hell

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    haha reminds me of the guy who called me about my keltec p3AT with chromed slide on here. He says,"well a gunshop will only give you $75 for your gun so you should give it to me for $125." Yeahhhhhhhh.....NOT!

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What year cougar are we talking about here?

If it's a new one, then I can totally sympathize about the bent crank. Those back seats are waaaaaaaay too small.

mmills50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    Even the newest of cougars are at least 1970 model year .... if the "backseat" is to small...your probably not in a cougar

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    One of the phrases that really irk me when I am trying to sell something is. "I'll give you $xxx.. cause I know what these things are worth." It always is done on an item whose value I have researched and priced reasonably.
    It implies either 1) I haven't done my research, or 2) I'm trying to scam him. Either implication is an insult. I have these guys pay my price or hit the road. I don't even entertain offers after hearing these words.

Top Bottom