• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I find it very difficult to understand why there are so many people on this talk forum who are hunting or going to hunt but have absolutly no idea what the rules , regulations and laws are for what ever it is they want to hunt /harvest.

I don't mind at all helping with questions ,but the shear number of folks is amazing to me.
    Now some of these people have even taken hunter ed but still don't know the laws??

Might I make a friendly suggestion to some.

Please take a Hunters education class , even if you dont need it because of age or because you think you are to old etc.

I don't claim to know all the laws . rules and regulation but I have a firm grasp of them and I know how and where to get to correct answer to my questions.
    This place isn't really the place , I have witnessed several people give wrong answers to very real and important questions on laws etc.

I have taken Hunter ed 6 or 7 times ( mostly taking youth) , i always seem to learn something new and refresh myself.

When your hunting , weather you follow the laws , rules and regulation and the ethics you display is not only and reflection of you but more importantly a direct reflection of every hunter out there.
    You may well be the only hunt and person on the fence about hunting ever meets and if you dont know the laws , rules , regulations and ethics , well it could very well ruin a chance for another hunter in the future.
    And the person who witnesses this negative disply will tell others and it will spred like wild fire.

This is 1 major reason so many have problems finding property to hunt etc.

so please please please , take some friendly advice ( no matter your age) and take a hunters ed course , you might even deside to help teach a class one day:patriot:

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Excellent post, I'd just add to please sight in your gun and practice with it! I'm blown away by the amount of people who take a gun from its box and go hunting.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    And I would like to add that you shoot it every year before season. Even if you have not changed anything on it, it it pretty easy for a sight to get moved enough to make you miss, even if it shot dead on last season. I think I may have made that very mistake today, and I should know better!!

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Well, I have never really hunted, my sons are growing up and want me to take them. On top of that, it seems like many people want to get involved in hunting in case the economy gets even worse or some other SHTF situation.

I have been listening and watching, and many people have learned from their parents or grand parents, their family has always hunted , and they are doing it also. There are many of us who never had that, never had anyone to teach us.

Hunting is like guns in general. Any fool can go to the gun store and buy one, put some ammo in it, and be armed. BUT it takes patients to learn how to use it. Training and practice, and there are nuances and changes in the law all of the time to keep up with. Hunting the proper way is not just the laws, it is a way of life, a life long journey on proper techniques, different things to hunt, different ways to do it. You don't get that out of a book or a class, it takes time.

Add to that, the fact that the next generation has not been taught how to be polite, how to care about others, and has no idea what common sense means, let alone how to apply it to every day situations. The number of people interested in hunting may be growing, but the majority of several generations have never been taught hunting ethics and conservation techniques. Without someone to teach the next generation I fear the problem is going to get worse, not better. These things can't be learned in one class, or even in the classroom at all.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I think some of the questions regarding the permit types I have seen posted here are valid. I have even called the DNR enforcement office 6 and was told wrong info on bonus antlerless license before so I understand the confusion on permits.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Excellent post, I'd just add to please sight in your gun and practice with it! I'm blown away by the amount of people who take a gun from its box and go hunting.

I agree 100% with this as well. i spoke with a friend who told me 2 guys he knows had missed deer (lot better than a bad shot) and he said 1 gun was shooting high and 1 was shooting low... i ask , didnt they shoot their gun before season? He said no and we spke a little more about it but I wont post our comments on here.

Please shhot your firearm and know it inside and out and be prepaired

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Well, I have never really hunted, my sons are growing up and want me to take them. On top of that, it seems like many people want to get involved in hunting in case the economy gets even worse or some other SHTF situation.

I have been listening and watching, and many people have learned from their parents or grand parents, their family has always hunted , and they are doing it also. There are many of us who never had that, never had anyone to teach us.

Hunting is like guns in general. Any fool can go to the gun store and buy one, put some ammo in it, and be armed. BUT it takes patients to learn how to use it. Training and practice, and there are nuances and changes in the law all of the time to keep up with. Hunting the proper way is not just the laws, it is a way of life, a life long journey on proper techniques, different things to hunt, different ways to do it. You don't get that out of a book or a class, it takes time.

Add to that, the fact that the next generation has not been taught how to be polite, how to care about others, and has no idea what common sense means, let alone how to apply it to every day situations. The number of people interested in hunting may be growing, but the majority of several generations have never been taught hunting ethics and conservation techniques. Without someone to teach the next generation I fear the problem is going to get worse, not better. These things can't be learned in one class, or even in the classroom at all.

I do understand this as well .
    You can also attend hunting seminars at the boat sport and travel show and different conventions and get togethers and learn great info and talk to guys with many years of exsp.

Also if you work with someone and or meet someone on here that has hunted for years , a lot of them will show you the ropes

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    I think some of the questions regarding the permit types I have seen posted here are valid. I have even called the DNR enforcement office 6 and was told wrong info on bonus antlerless license before so I understand the confusion on permits.

I know this to be true as well. That is why I try and do my best to help answer those questions when I see them posted.
    I wasn't trying to point to any 1 thing on this board just the over all issue.

I think my knowledge of the rules has been learned from years of reading the rules and regulation mag that they once had at every sporting good store.

I also will remind everyone that in those mags and in the version you can now print , that is just a over view on the actual rules , laws and regulations.

I once printed the entire thing out and its like 300 pages from and back.

I really made this post just to remind everyone that its our duty as a hunter , fisherman and trapper and outdoors men and woman , to educate ourself and help others and so we can enjoy this heritage for many generations to come.

Enjoy your time outside and in the field:patriot:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I know this to be true as well. That is why I try and do my best to help answer those questions when I see them posted.

I think my knowledge of the rules has been learned from years of reading the rules and regulation mag that they once had at every sporting good store.

I also will remind everyone that in those mags and in the version you can now print , that is just a over view on the actual rules , laws and regulations.

I really made this post just to remind everyone that its our duty as a hunter , fisherman and trapper and outdoors men and woman , to educate ourself and help others and so we can enjoy this heritage for many generations to come.

I would agree with everything that is posted here. One thing that the experience hunters should think about is taking a a "new" hunter under their wings even if it's just a one day hunt. This year I had the pleasure of taking two different INGO members out. The first member went bow hunting with me and it was his first year bow hunting. We had a great time and he was lucky enough (with my guidance :D) to take a 4 pointer. The next INGO member we all know, was Que. I took him on a gun hunt for deer. It was his first time hunting anything. We had a exciting hunt even though we came home with nothing. I really think this is important in helping people get started the proper/ethical way. :twocents:

Last edited:

justjoe

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2011
    gun counter at walmart
    I see the confusion in buying the proper tag everyday, Work at wally-world in sporting goods. Perhaps one in ten know what tag they want, most are just "gimmie a deer tag", although it seems more bow hunters know the tags than gun hunters. All we can do is try to educate the uninformed.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy

Totally agree with you Lonnie. I was just pointing out the confusing permits. But some questions i see here make me concerned as well.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The regulations are confusing to say the least. I don't think I could have purposely written a more confusing set of rules. Someone at DNR really needs to sit down and clear this up. Go to the web page and it states that youth are under 18 and there is no youth permit requirements, yet in my son's hunter's ed class the DNR officer said there was a $7 permit. As a comparison, I picked up a Kentucky regulation guide recently and everything was clear, concise and easily understood, not to mention MUCH cheaper for residents.

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Nice post. I will be a novice hunter. I am getting ready for next fall. I have read several posts with hunting questions and agree that some should know better. I like the hunter ed tip. I plan to take one.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    The regulations are confusing to say the least. I don't think I could have purposely written a more confusing set of rules. Someone at DNR really needs to sit down and clear this up. Go to the web page and it states that youth are under 18 and there is no youth permit requirements, yet in my son's hunter's ed class the DNR officer said there was a $7 permit. As a comparison, I picked up a Kentucky regulation guide recently and everything was clear, concise and easily understood, not to mention MUCH cheaper for residents.

Your son needs a $7 Liecense and then he is "permitted" to take any legal wild game during the open season with the exception of a Federal game bird ( geese etc.), that required a Federal game bird stamp

Its called a youth consalidated liecense

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Go to the web page and it states that youth are under 18 and there is no youth permit requirements, yet in my son's hunter's ed class the DNR officer said there was a $7 permit.
    Where is it stated there are no youth license requirements? I looked and the ONLY time that is the case is in the case of landowners. If you are a landowner (zoned agriculture), you live on the land, and your son/ daughter under 18 lives with you, then they do not need one TO HUNT ON THAT LAND. Other than that situation they need either the youth cons. or apprentice youth if they have not taken hunter's ed. course.

To the original post, I agree entirely. The sheer number of hunters on this forum who don't know the laws are astonishing (especially since we all know WE are the best and the brightest of the general public!):D. I've been hunting for over 20 yrs. now, and the laws do change from time to time. I'm no genius, but I haven't had a hard time keeping up.:dunno: I pay attention to them, am interested in them, and read them.

Archery (2) either sex
    Firearms(1) BUCK ONLY
    Muzzleloader(1)either sex
    Bonus Antlerless (# depends on county you're hunting in)can be used in any season with legal equiptment per said season.
    *May only take one deer with antlers per year. (If you kill your buck in early archery DON'T BUY A FIREARMS LICENSE! IT'S USELESS!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Top Bottom