• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was thinking about something very similar the other afternoon, actually.

How many times are the rifle-cartridge rules inquired about?

I mean... In order to ask that question, you had to A) find INGO. B) register. C) complete registration D) figure out the proper sub-forum to ask. and E) ask your question.

That's about 10x more complicated that just going to Google and looking up the Indiana Deer Hunting regulations for yourself.

Seriously, people? Look. It. Up.

And I'm not even a hunter!

-J-

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-2011-12_Hunting_Trapping_Guide.pdf

Notice all the resident youth licenses have an N/A. There is not even a $7 license listed. Had me scratching my head when I heard it. They need to put a plain speaking good ole boy on the guide writing commitee.

AHHH! I see. The problem is that it is true, there is no Youth deer license for residents. Thus the N/A. The youth cons. license covers everything, so they do not offer a separate license for deer only. I guess without looking into the youth con. license that could be confusing.

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    There are lots of questions because the regulations are convoluted.

Google-fu and reading the regulations only help so much because the COs have a lot of discretion on some things.

Do your due diligence first, but come ask questions whens it's not clear. We're here to help each other out not put up barriers.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    AHHH! I see. The problem is that it is true, there is no Youth deer license for residents. Thus the N/A. The youth cons. license covers everything, so they do not offer a separate license for deer only. I guess without looking into the youth con. license that could be confusing.

Oh yeah, and for someone moving from Kentucky were the guide seems to be in everyday speak, it was rather confusing.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    There are lots of questions because the regulations are convoluted.

Google-fu and reading the regulations only help so much because the COs have a lot of discretion on some things.

Do your due diligence first, but come ask questions whens it's not clear. We're here to help each other out not put up barriers.

COs, as do other LEO, do have "officer discretion".

Inconvenience aside, it'd probably be payday for someone should a CO (or, again, any other LEO) decide to just make-up the laws as they go along.

The hunting regulations in are rather easy to look up...

-J-

rao

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    i just use black powder as far as firearms go but I am primarily a bow hunter. I am seldom surprised any more at the number of people who fail to prepare adequately for hunting season. For bow hunting in particular, too may yahoos only shoot their bow a couple times (if any) before venturing in the woods and generally end up only wounding animals if they hit anything at all. It shows so little respect for the wildlife and the privilege to be hunting at all. I've been bow hunting 20 years now and only had someone show me the way my first year. After that, I read, studied and learned the most from the best teacher...experience.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Something else I think all hunters need to do, and that is KNOW THE ENVIRONMENT.

What I suggest is you don't make your first trip to the woods on opening day. When I was an active hunter I would go to my deer hunting area at least once a month, different times of day and I would just sit quietly and observe. After you park your buns on a log and just sit there, in about 30-40 minutes you'll see the forest start to come alive like it was before you invaded. You can learn a LOT about habitat, game movements, species, and everything else just by having a quiet 3 or 4 hour sit down in the woods during the off season. I've also had some of my best naps during these off season forays in to the wild. <grin>

Wear camo, and be quiet and you'll be amazed at what you see and hear. One time I had a Grouse sneak up behind me...about 8 feet away and it started drumming...I just about jumped out of my skin. I bet that bird is still laughing at me.

Hunting is the easy part...all the effort needs to go into learning about your environment. Stay safe.

Top Bottom