• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    So I'm walking out to feed the hogs tonight and the cat has something she's playing with in the yard. I walk over to see what it is and when I get there this pink fleshy tone thing jumps at me. I was startled and jumped back, then looked again. It was an 18 " snake and it had just struck at me and I was seeing the inside of it's wide open mouth. :eek: I've seen these snakes before and know they are not poisonous. The dog came running up and sniffed at it while the cat continued to bat at it.

I don't like snakes but I HATE mice and snakes eat mice, so I figure if it can get away from the cat I will leave it be, even though it's closer to the house than I'm comfortable with.

I went on to the hog house and when I came back the cat had grown tired of tormenting the snake and when she saw me walked away from it. Once again I tried to get the dog to take some interested in it, so I didn't have to take care of it, since it was closer to the house now. No such luck, but as the dog sniffed around it, the snake buried it's head and stuck it's tail up and started waving it around.

Dumb**s me, decides to pick it up by the tail and take it back towards the barns where it can catch all the mice it wants and hopefully stay away from my yard. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? :nuts: My skin is still crawling and I've done the shutter dance a few times too. I think I will have to take a dozen hot showers just to get the feeling of that snake off my hand.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. :rolleyes:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Well you did better than I would have!! I would have smacked with a shovel and went on my merry way!!
    sigpic4180_2.gif
    :D

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    So I'm walking out to feed the hogs tonight and the cat has something she's playing with in the yard. I walk over to see what it is and when I get there this pink fleshy tone thing jumps at me. I was startled and jumped back, then looked again. It was an 18 " snake and it had just struck at me and I was seeing the inside of it's wide open mouth. :eek: I've seen these snakes before and know they are not poisonous. The dog came running up and sniffed at it while the cat continued to bat at it.

I don't like snakes but I HATE mice and snakes eat mice, so I figure if it can get away from the cat I will leave it be, even though it's closer to the house than I'm comfortable with.

I went on to the hog house and when I came back the cat had grown tired of tormenting the snake and when she saw me walked away from it. Once again I tried to get the dog to take some interested in it, so I didn't have to take care of it, since it was closer to the house now. No such luck, but as the dog sniffed around it, the snake buried it's head and stuck it's tail up and started waving it around.

Dumb**s me, decides to pick it up by the tail and take it back towards the barns where it can catch all the mice it wants and hopefully stay away from my yard. WHAT WAS I THINKING??? :nuts: My skin is still crawling and I've done the shutter dance a few times too. I think I will have to take a dozen hot showers just to get the feeling of that snake off my hand.

Sometimes I wonder about myself. :rolleyes:

My advice would be to quit playing with 18" pink, fleshy snakes.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I pick them up by the tail all the time. As long as you keep wiggling it, it can't come up and bite you.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Girl you are much braver than I. When I see a snake in our backyard I move as far away as possible. The thought of picking it up has never crossed my mind. nope . no way

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I had a pet snake and it was cool to have and watch feed but unless I had fed it within the week I wasn't a fan of getting it out to hold and play with. Call me crazy but I don't wanna be bit by my own pet.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    There are a lot of snakes around here, we have a swampy area near by. But I usually only see them after I ran them over with the lawn tractor

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I was told(R.I.P. Steve Irwin) that if you pick a snake up by the very end of its tail, its muscles aren't strong enough to snap its head back up to bite your hand.

That's what I thought too, but when it started coiling up and opening it's mouth at me again, I almost lost it in more ways than one. I did shake it some to make it hang back down since I was only half way to the barn. Doing the shutter dance again just thinking about it.

Drako

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Lawrence
    lol i'm sorry that was so traumatic for you.

I like snakes (not when the bite me so much)
    Used to keep them as pets....I'd get another if I had time.

I miss my 4 foot python ;)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Why kill em'? I'd rather have snakes around than rats and mice.:twocents:

I don't kill spiders either, I figure every mosquito that gets caught in a web is one less that will be chewing on me.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I was told(R.I.P. Steve Irwin) that if you pick a snake up by the very end of its tail, its muscles aren't strong enough to snap its head back up to bite your hand.
    i got bit by a garder snake like that. picked it up at the tail and it came around and got my arm.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sorry, I can't resist: the former biology major is coming out: venomous. Not poisonous. Unless you intend to eat them. And even then, I still don't think they'd do you any harm.

18" isn't very long. What kind of markings did it have?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom