• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Puppycide has become a common occurrence in this country. It's easy to find a couple of cases a week. Some people just have no respect for other peoples pets and property. I read a piece, not too long ago that stated that training on dealing with dogs was available for most departments via the humane society (or a similar org), but that most departments decline to be trained. They prefer to go to the gun and use officer discretion. The sad thing is that virtually all departments side with the shooter in these cases.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I don't get that no one had a problem when Liberty Sanders or Walter Zoomie shot dogs in defense of themselves, but when a cop does it no matter the reason, its wrong. Buncha ****ing hypocrites.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I don't get that no one had a problem when Liberty Sanders or Walter Zoomie shot dogs in defense of themselves, but when a cop does it no matter the reason, its wrong. Buncha ****ing hypocrites.

I totally agree with Frank. There's way too much cop hating on this forum.

This is very hard for me to agree with. My dog, Barney, is part of my family. I love him dearly. And I have an invisible fence around my property too. If someone saw Barney, and thought he was charging them, I can see them defending themselves. They'd be in the right. There's no way of telling that I have an invisible fence. I have got to put up signs advertising that.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I totally agree with Frank. There's way too much cop hating on this forum.

This is very hard for me to agree with. My dog, Barney, is part of my family. I love him dearly. And I have an invisible fence around my property too. If someone saw Barney, and thought he was charging them, I can see them defending themselves. They'd be in the right. There's no way of telling that I have an invisible fence. I have got to put up signs advertising that.

Uninvited, on your property? What is right about that?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    my dog will run right up to the edge of the property where the trace for teh invisible fence is. until he stops and just starts barking his fool head off, there's no way of knowing if he's gonna attack or not.

I think there's a little too much puppycide by police, but there's also a little 5-0 hating going on. I'll admit, I'm guilty of less than charitable feelings toward police when they abuse their power, but its hard to say whether this office was entirely in the wrong for shooting the dog.

what about the IPD oficer a few years back that shot a goose that attacked his K9 partner?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN

Lot of cop hating everywhere these days. People are becoming more and more displeased with the government, the actions it takes, and the things they force us into. Police are the most visual of the arms of the government, most commonly associated with speeding tickets. I am guessing you are a cop, and therefore don't want to be judged stereotypically , but any group people are in gets judged by its lowest common denominator. I tend to very critical of police action, I ask very probing questions to try and determine what happened, and whether I agree with it or not. I don't agree with police as they exist today, they have to enforce a lot of laws I don't agree with, and the operate through theft ( taxes).

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County

If someone has an Invisible Fence butting up against the public walk, unmarked, and a large dog comes tearing around the side of the house and attacks (tries to) my son, he's gonna get it. Don't want someone spraying/shooting your dog? Take steps to prevent it.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I find it interesting that just posting this is somehow cop bashing. And btw, the cop wasn't on the sidewalk, he was on the dog owner's property.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

So, if you happened to step onto MY property, whatever the intention, keep in mind that you haven't been invited, and my 130 pound Rottweiler comes running towards you. Would you or would you not shoot him? You can't tell me that you are just going to stand there and wait to see what happens.

That's exactly what happened in the news story. The cops tried giving the dog commands to stop. He didn't stop. Kept on coming.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010

I would imagine that most homeowners would have a problem with an officer coming onto their property & shooting their pet(s) to death so that the officer can have a look around without being bitten.

Especially without the homeowners permission, without first obtaining a search warrant & without exigent circumstance authority.

Poking around a neighborhood "looking for a suspect" is not the same as "in hot pursuit of a suspect".

I am not passing judgment on the officer's course of action, if it was truly a self-defense situation I can't fault him for defending himself, I am just wondering where the officer got the authority to go wandering around from yard to yard shooting peoples pets. (sorry couldn't help myself!)

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I find it interesting that just posting this is somehow cop bashing.

Had the same thought as I'm reading this thread. You can't say jack about LEOs (even when they're in the wrong) without it being considered cop bashing. I'm an executive and I run a sales department. I don't get all defensive when people in the real world or in cyberspace talk trash about both executives and sales people.

My brother in law is retired IMPD and guess what, he's a jerk. He did some really dumb sh*t (and illegal I might add) while on the force that he brags about being swept under the rug. Example: Picking up hookers on Washington St and giving them the option of arrest or a free ride.

Some cops are good, some are bad. Pointing out when a cop is doing bad isn't an indictment on the entire police force but of that particular officer. So why so defensive??

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    So, if you happened to step onto MY property, whatever the intention, keep in mind that you haven't been invited, and my 130 pound Rottweiler comes running towards you. Would you or would you not shoot him? You can't tell me that you are just going to stand there and wait to see what happens.

That's exactly what happened in the news story. The cops tried giving the dog commands to stop. He didn't stop. Kept on coming.

If I was on your property and your dog was charging me, yeah I'd probably shoot it and I guarantee you would sue my sorry butt and I'd bet you'd win too. I would even DISagree with the verdict because I was on your property and shouldn't have been. Why is this different because it's an LEO? Where is the accountability and justice for this family who lost a loved one for no good reason??

A rotty versus a goldie is also like comparing an apple to a grenade. Maybe I'm wrong but I haven't ever heard of a vicious mauling incident from a goldie. Have heard several about rotty's.

Didn't even occur to this guy that the dog may have been protecting the property. Shouldn't step one be, run off the property if you're scared of the dog?

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    There's no way of telling that I have an invisible fence. I have got to put up signs advertising that.

I don't see how advertising your fence would change the situation. The intruder was already inside the property and inside the invisible fence. Maybe some "No Trespassing" signs would make more sense.

Let's stick with the Golden Retriever in the story. They are one of the nicest breeds you could ask for, and not incredibly intimidating. I think one of his non-lethal tools could have easily sufficed. Pepper-spray, night stick, taser... Or the cop could have gotten back into his car, ran away, or let the dog sniff him like it probably was trying to do.

I would have a hard time swallowing this if it were my property being trespassed on and my pet being killed.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Look, I'd be pissed too. But there were no signs. They saw a dog charging them. They yelled commands for it to stop. It didn't. Again, no signs for a fence. As far as they knew, if they ran away, the dog would still come.

They shot in self defense.

Like I said, I'd be pissed too. I have no signs either. I plan on getting some now.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010

I wouldn't step on somebody else's property uninvited. I would hope your dog wouldn't respond to commands from an intruder, I wouldn't expect a Rottie to that. Would you be this understanding if your dog was shot and killed under these circumstances?

Top Bottom