• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I need to vent a bunch. I apologize in advance if I anger anyone, but...

Let me first state I enjoy hunting and I live in a rather rural area on 12 acres of both timbered land and flat land (alfalfa) with a creek...lots of deer.

My field gets spotted almost weekly, and when it's deer season it's almost a nightly event. Tonight was no exception. At 10:05 a couple of people in a truck pull up to the field (on the road) shut off the engine and begin spotting. Ok, I know this is only illegal if they have a firearm in the vehicle and hey, I don't really mind if they spot as long as it's of short duration (less than 30 seconds or so) and NO shots are fired. Tonight though there they set, engine off, huge light, yep plenty of deer then they sweep our house! Our lights are on and very visible from the truck. After stewing for five minutes they're still out there shining away and they sweep our house again. That's it I've had enough!!! I go out to the front porch and in a voice I know they can hear (they're less than 60 feet from me now) ask "Do you need some help?" They shine the beam at me for a second or two and just keep spotting the deer!! I call out "I'd appreciate it if you'd not shine our house" The passenger shines me again for a second or two and goes back to shinning the deer! I know they hear me.

Just then the driver gets out and walks around to the back of the truck and I can't see what he's doing and the passenger shines toward the house again. Now my blood is boiling. I go inside, grab my 1911, put on a jacket and stick the 1911 in my pocket and head for the front door. My wife is now sternly telling me to stay inside and call 911. I told her you call them I'm going to go have a little chat with these two. Just as soon as I hit the front door to go outside the drivers door slams and the engine fires and they take off. They were out there longer than ten minutes. Now for me that's pushing it.

Short of lighting them up with my 2k+ lumen torch and risk escalating the situation what the heck else can I do about this?

I will be calling the local DNR and will probably stop by the county LEC tomorrow...but man this is getting out of hand!

Rant off.

:ar15::ar15:

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Light em up!

I have similar problems on our family farm, except there are no houses there and I end up sitting on top of the hill after I get done hunting with no lights on and have to blast them with my high beams to run them off.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    I saw someone spotlighting a field just west of Mooresville tonight. I was not sure what they were up to. When I got close to them with my car, they took off. I did not see them doing anything illegal that I know of so I did not call police or pursue them. They had a really powerful spotlight. You might want to get a good powerful laser to shine back at them. I have a 5 watt green laser that would do a good job and probably get them to think twice.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why do people "spot" on land they don't own and can't hunt? Are they poaching?

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    It sounds to me like this would be a perfect spot for a CO to set a decoy trap out. Maybe you should call them and explain your problem, they might catch some poachers and help you out with your problem at the same time.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Man, it would have been hard to not put a couple shots across their bow. I always love the wife yelling stay inside and call the popo... a mans got to do what a mans got to do :D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Have the wife light 'em up with the 2K torch from the house as you sneak down in the darkness and jam a potato in their tailpipe.

:rockwoot:

Standard disclaimer: The above suggestion should not be construed as a proposal for the smartest or safest course of action, nor does it even remotely resemble proper advice.
    Side effects may include a smug sense of superiority, blurred vision, insomnia and anal seepage. Ask your doctor if retribution may be right for you.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    How about a trail cam set near your driveway to get a pic of their plate?

Or maybe a string of firecrackers in a metal can near where people stop that you can trigger from the house?

I think either one would send a great big hint and a half that says, "You are not welcome. Go away."

(THEN jam a potato in their tailpipe. *nod*)

:twocents:

Blessings,
    Bill

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Spotlighting is one way to see what kind of deer an area has. Lots of people like looking at deer, but there is no reason to be rude and shine someone's house.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    If they are on your property, they are trespassing. I would call the police. There is absolutely NO excuse for shining your house. Stay in the house because you have no idea what kind of nut you may be dealing with.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I've done it. But I'd never do it if there were a house on the property...and I'd sure as heck never spot a house.

I just like to see the deer. No harm intended on my part.

Same here, I wouldn't light up someones house either.
    When tooling around with a buddy checking out the deer is just something fun to do.
    You can see all kinds of critters running around a night.

... Ask your doctor if retribution may be right for you.

Is Retribution available over the counter or do you need a prescription?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd call the cops and the CO's. Authority will rattle them.
    What is the chance that they don't have any firearms in the vehicle?

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Standard disclaimer: The above suggestion should not be construed as a proposal for the smartest or safest course of action, nor does it even remotely resemble proper advice.
    Side effects may include a smug sense of superiority, blurred vision, insomnia and anal seepage. Ask your doctor if retribution may be right for you.
    :lmfao:

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Call the co and have them come out with a decoy. Big ol buck and I'm sure they'd take a shot at it. I've talked to them about setting up on my property to catch poachers because it's on a back gravel road.

How about a potatoe gun across their hood of the truck. They'd see the flash and here the launch and then bam!

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    Maybe it's not a great idea to decorate our front yards with reindeer! Wouldn't it be funny if the DNR would put a red light on the nose that would light up after a shot has been fired.

Top Bottom