• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks to DHolder, Aszerigan, and Jet Girl, I've gotten off the pot and started reloading with a small work bench. Although I will still have my bench built, I ran my first 50, .45 ACP tonight and will test them out in the morning.

I'm using some equipment I received in trade and although I ordered my dies, they didn't arrive, so DHolder let me borrow some. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to knock out another 500 rounds. I'll try out 9mm and .40 S&W next week.

IMG024.jpg

IMG025.jpg

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I still use a workmate for my presses. I mounted the presses on a 2x10 that's 4 feet long and C-clamped it to the workmate. Easy to move around the garage when I need more space for other projects and plenty of room to work on. Just a thought until you get your bench made. I like it enough that the bench I got for reloading has stayed just a workbench for other projects.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Very cool. Congratulations. I'm constrained on space and considering the small workbench/workmate alternative, too.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    That's great. you will enjoy the versatility this gives you I am sure

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Congrats on making the leap! Just got into reloading myself, gotta say it's a good feeling seeing the rounds you put together yourself hitting the target. Let us know how they shoot

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Good to see!! You have some catching up to do though. I've done over 1K rounds of both 45 ACP and 40 S&W. Just received 1K 38 spl in the mail yesterday.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Okay, everything was going smooth, then I had two magazines with three FTE's, each. After that, it seems everything was okay again. I have no idea what could have been the cause. :dunno: I used the same three magazines for all 48 rounds, so I"m not sure. What is usually the cause of FTE's? Could those rounds have been undercharged?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Okay, everything was going smooth, then I had two magazines with three FTE's, each. After that, it seems everything was okay again. I have no idea what could have been the cause. :dunno: I used the same three magazines for all 48 rounds, so I"m not sure. What is usually the cause of FTE's? Could those rounds have been undercharged?

Excessive heat? :dunno:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If you gun functioned reliably up until shooting your reloads it could be an undercharged load. To help avoid this use a reloading block, (a tray that holds the rounds after you charge them) so that after you charge them you can look to see if they all have the same amount of powder. A very simple and easy way to avoid under/over charged cases. This is one of the ones I use MTM Universal Reloading Tray 50-Round Plastic Red - MidwayUSA.

You didn't say what dies you were using but I use a lee factory crimp die to put a slight tamper crimp on my auto rounds. The advantage is that the Lee die has a carbide sizer ring to re-size your round into factory specs as you crimp it.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Check and make sure you have a consistant OAL. You may not be pulling the handle all the way down till it bottoms out all the time. Which will result in different OAL's. If they are consistant then i would up the powder charge some. What powder are you using? and how much? I would up the powder charge to .2 below max.(work up slowly) From my expierience this will make sure accurate and reliable ammo.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Thanks for the input. I loaded another 150 for FNS and encountered the same problem. I am using Lee dies with the following specs:

230 grn Powerbond bullet
    4.6 grns Titegroup bowder
    1.250 overall length

I ran the rounds through a Springfield TRP and I've never had an issue with any rounds in the past. I checked the powder and length throughout the process and the crimping was smooth.

I will try taking the length to 1.200 with 4.6 grns of Titegroup and also running the current length of 1.250 with 4.8 grns of Titegroup. I'm hoping the adjustment in the length will solve the problem.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Quick question what brand of brass and where did you get it, ie once fired range brass, new brass or ones you've shot and saved? I find that OAL affects feeding more than ejecting, brass seems to effect ejecting more than feeding. Just my observations from shooting. Also since you are using the Lee dies are you using the 4 die set with the factory crimp die or crimping with the seating die?

Last edited:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Overall length might be a bit short for Round Nose bullets, but not so much that it would have that effect. For RN 45 ACP, min length listed is usually 1.260 to max of 1.275 At least that's what I'm seeing right now. Keep in mind I'm still new to this as well and any info should be confirmed.

Even if they were a little short though, that might lead to some increased pressure and I don't see it causing FTE issues. And you're not loading max loads. Your recipe is middle of the road for bullets used. As such, a little increased pressure shouldn't have that effect? Would it? :dunno:

Top Bottom