• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the input. I loaded another 150 for FNS and encountered the same problem. I am using Lee dies with the following specs:

230 grn Powerbond bullet
    4.6 grns Titegroup bowder
    1.250 overall length

I ran the rounds through a Springfield TRP and I've never had an issue with any rounds in the past. I checked the powder and length throughout the process and the crimping was smooth.

I will try taking the length to 1.200 with 4.6 grns of Titegroup and also running the current length of 1.250 with 4.8 grns of Titegroup. I'm hoping the adjustment in the length will solve the problem.

Not familiar with that bullet. Is it a FP or RN ? I usually run the FP at 1.200 and the RN at 1.260. If that is a RN, watch for the spot where the ogive starts. You don't want to go beyond that and have the case edge on the radius of the ogive. Again, I'm not familiar with that bullet. Going to 1.200 might not be a problem at all. Just kinda seemed a little deep if a RN.

If that Springfield runs fine with factory, you will find what works for it in short order. Keep it up, you're probably not far from finding in now. :yesway:

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I have the exact same problem....procrastination! I have (and I am not joking): 1 5 gallon bucket overfilled of .223 brass, 1 5 gallon bucket 1/2 full of .308 brass, and a 3rd 5 gallon bucket almost 3/4 full of .40 and .45 ACP brass. Brass is not my problem, its getting off my butt and making the investment.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    He's using a Lee, 4 die set. That load is a good load for the Glock and Springfield I use. I do on occasion have a stovepipe or two. The Powerbond is a plated bullet, much like the Berry's 230gr rn.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    He's using a Lee, 4 die set. That load is a good load for the Glock and Springfield I use. I do on occasion have a stovepipe or two. The Powerbond is a plated bullet, much like the Berry's 230gr rn.

The reason I asked is because I was wondering he was using some "Glocked" brass, (lower case bugle due to the nature of Glock chambers but other pistols that don't have a fully supported chamber will exhibit it too). If using "Glocked brass" in a pistol with a tight chamber they may stick when chambering or extracting. The normal Lee dies state that they take out most of the bulge but I've found that using the Lee Bulge Buster in conjuction with the factory crimp die helps a lot on feeding and extraction problems. Lee Bulge Buster Base Sizing Kit (380 Auto, 40 S&W, 45 ACP) - MidwayUSA As with anything else your milage may vary but for about $16 it might be worth a try.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Your load is fine, i load with the same powder, with 4.6g and a 230g LRN bullet to 1.265OAL. I see nothing wrong with your ammo, i'd start checking the gun again.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Your load is fine, i load with the same powder, with 4.6g and a 230g LRN bullet to 1.265OAL. I see nothing wrong with your ammo, i'd start checking the gun again.

I'm going to clean it tonight and hit the range after church tomorrow. I have various OAL's to play with, to see which is best form the TRP and Para.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    My load for .45 ACP is 230 grn Powerbond bullet, 4.6 - 4.8 grns Titegroup powder, and 1.125 OAL. :rockwoot:

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Congratulations Que! Glad you've taken the plunge.

Try dropping the rounds into the barrel and see if any of them fail to drop completely in. (I field strip the pistol so I can hold the barrel by itself. It's easier that way and safer.)

If there are some rounds that don't drop in, you may need to look at your sizing die settings. Adjust the die to run the brass in as far as possible (see instructions for press settings for carbide and non-carbide dies.)

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    1.125 is pretty short. If that's a RN minimum should be 1.20. I just wanted to point that out in case you didn't realize that. I would stay in the mid to low range if your going to seat your bullet that deep.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    So can we take you solved your problem?

1.125 is pretty short. If that's a RN minimum should be 1.20. I just wanted to point that out in case you didn't realize that. I would stay in the mid to low range if your going to seat your bullet that deep.

I believe I have solved the problem, but if running 1.125 will damage my gun in any way, please let me know. I have been advised that I could probably run the standard 1.200 - 1.250 if I replaced my spring. I just can't seem to understand how I can run factory ammo that is 1.250 and have no problems, but cannot run reloads without the spring being an issue. I guess the factory ammo could be hotter than my loads, but I prefer a lighter load for faster recovery.

So, my question to those in the know:

1. Should I replace my current spring? If so, am I looking for a lighter or heavier spring, knowing that my issues have been FTE?

2. Keep running my current load at 1.125, because it will not cause any damage?

3. Replace the Titegroup with Clays, which allowed me to run reloads with OAL of 1.200 without any problems? Basically, I'm asking if the powder could be the issue.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I believe I have solved the problem, but if running 1.125 will damage my gun in any way, please let me know. I have been advised that I could probably run the standard 1.200 - 1.250 if I replaced my spring. I just can't seem to understand how I can run factory ammo that is 1.250 and have no problems, but cannot run reloads without the spring being an issue. I guess the factory ammo could be hotter than my loads, but I prefer a lighter load for faster recovery.

So, my question to those in the know:

1. Should I replace my current spring? If so, am I looking for a lighter or heavier spring, knowing that my issues have been FTE?

2. Keep running my current load at 1.125, because it will not cause any damage?

3. Replace the Titegroup with Clays, which allowed me to run reloads with OAL of 1.200 without any problems? Basically, I'm asking if the powder could be the issue.

Seating deeper than recommended can cause dangerous pressure spikes even in a low pressure caliber like a 45acp. I would chrony your rounds and see where they are coming in at, if your getting higher fps than you should be than your probably running too hot. You can also check the brass and primer for over-pressure signs. If everything checks out OK, then you should be g2g.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Also w231 is an excellent powder for a wide range of calibers, especially 45 IMO, eventhough it's a fairly fast burning powder it's not nearly as fast as titegroup. Burns nice and clean too.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Que my friend, you have inspired me to get off my duff and put together my reloading. I have had the stuff to set up a reloading setup similar to yours for a while, but life seemed to keep getting in the way. I plan on settingit all up in the AM when I get home from work. Should be depriming and swaging out 5.56 brass by tomorrow afternoon. Of course LadyGhost has volunteered to help out as well. (since she has caught the shooting bug as well I think that is just common sense. IE you shoot you reload your own ammo. LOL)

I just need to find a place that sells .224 bullets for cheap. I don't need anything other than el-cheapo plinking bullets. $1.98 per thousand would be GREAT! LOL

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Ok update. I got the press all setup and have been depriming about 5K+ of 5.56 brass that I need to ream out the primer pockets on. So far things are going good. A bit slow, but not too bad. I'll take some photos to show the setup once I find the stupid camera.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Ok update. I got the press all setup and have been depriming about 5K+ of 5.56 brass that I need to ream out the primer pockets on. So far things are going good. A bit slow, but not too bad. I'll take some photos to show the setup once I find the stupid camera.

5,000 pieces of brass?! Let us know how it goes.

Top Bottom