• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I am getting a m1 garand with throat of 3 and muzzle of 2, not a bad number HRA 1954 make. I cant wait to shoot some long range 500-600 open sights! So for my fellow Marine experts and distinguished shooters, will the bullet drop drum on the rear sight work just like my A2 I used on the KD course? My match gun I used on the team we went by clicks or MOA but we used 77 gr so the bullet drop was off anyway. will 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc be very close? My A2 with 62 gr was very close up to 600. I know shoot only M2 based ammo and I know im comparing 2 different rifles/calibers but. Any other input?

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    I went to CMP at camp perry last november and picked out my 2nd Garand......beautiful gun, re-parkerized and all new furniture, haven't even fired my first one that i had sent to me from CMP years ago. I wish I could answer your sighting questions......but i may never even pull the trigger on either of mine, I know.......SAD. First one has a springfield receiver from 1943 and the second one is H&R but I don't know when the receiver was made, haven't researched it yet.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I am excited. I own a near matching 43 rockola m1 carbine and the sights are on at 2 and 3. I run circles around people with ARs near me when they challange me. I bet with m2 the garand rear sight numbers match at the range numbers but one way to find out..

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I am getting a m1 garand with throat of 3 and muzzle of 2, not a bad number HRA 1954 make. I cant wait to shoot some long range 500-600 open sights! So for my fellow Marine experts and distinguished shooters, will the bullet drop drum on the rear sight work just like my A2 I used on the KD course? My match gun I used on the team we went by clicks or MOA but we used 77 gr so the bullet drop was off anyway. will 1-2-3-4-5-6 etc be very close? My A2 with 62 gr was very close up to 600. I know shoot only M2 based ammo and I know im comparing 2 different rifles/calibers but. Any other input?

Yes, but every M1 rifle I have seen needs to be zero'd first at 100 and 200 yards. Then the drum needs to be turned to reflect that zero. Most soldiers didn't know how to do that. It will be very close farther out. But not exact. Part of the problem is that the newest M2 ball ammo was made 40 years ago and much more is far older than that. But, if you count the clicks between the yard lines on the drum, it tells you the comeups to each yard line. It is the ammo that doesn't cooperate.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the old rifle. Its nice to hear a team member talk about their AR rifle used in matches.

I hope to see you at matches in the area. NRA Highpower is a great sport. It is lots of fun to shoot with the Military teams.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Assuming a 100 yd zero, 25 clicks would put M2 Ball in the black at 500 yds.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    I read to come up 10 clicks from bottom, fire 100 yard zero and loosen elevation knob line up for 100 yard, and it will be military zeroed very close to what the range is 100 and on using m2. I love old war guns. I went in the Marines a great shooter and won the leatherneck award out of bootcamp, was blessed to compete on the division matches, blessed to be picked up on the far east rifle team 2 years, when not shooting I blocked and coached, tjen threw away a lifetime chance to shoot on the Real Deal full on team all I had to do was re enlist, threw it away for a girl that cheated on me shortly after I turned it down.... yup.... shame on me. I apologize for punctuation in any spelling errors because trying to do this on a phone really sucks. I hope to compete this year in local matches.

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I read to come up 10 clicks from bottom, fire 100 yard zero and loosen elevation knob line up for 100 yard, and it will be military zeroed very close to what the range is 100 and on using m2.

That sounds like instructions for a rifle straight out of arsenal. Your rifle results will likely vary. Notice I said "put M2 ball in the black". NRA Highpower Rifle targets are big at 500/600 yds. Which I believe the black is 36".

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I went to CMP at camp perry last november and picked out my 2nd Garand......beautiful gun, re-parkerized and all new furniture, haven't even fired my first one that i had sent to me from CMP years ago. I wish I could answer your sighting questions......but i may never even pull the trigger on either of mine, I know.......SAD. First one has a springfield receiver from 1943 and the second one is H&R but I don't know when the receiver was made, haven't researched it yet.

I know this is off topic but this amazes me... Why wouldn't you shoot either one? Just asking.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    The KA head stamp ammo is Garand safe, I bought 2 50cal cans on enblock clips in bandoleers a couple of years ago. The only problem with it is it's corrosive so make sure you clean it right after shooting

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    The M1 Garand should all be about 9 to 10 clicks from bottom to be zeroed at 100 yds. I shoot the CMP Greek HXP ammo and its 150 gr. Here is how mine is shooting and should get you in the ball park as well..

100 yds. 9 clicks up from bottom.
    200 yds. 10 clicks up from bottom.
    350 yds. 13 clicks up from bottom.
    540 yds. 19 clicks up from bottom.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I don't know about 5-600 yards but I was successfully "killing" 3 liter faygo bottles at 350 yds. on iron sights, can't wait to get out on the new 300 yd range at MSCC!!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Congrats!!

"The greatest battle implement ever devised."

April1944SpringfieldM1-001.jpg

Remember: "It don't mean a thing if she don't make a PING!!!"

Top Bottom