• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I picked this pile of parts earlier today. It was once a 1943 Springfield M1 Garand that someone didn't take very good care of. I got it mostly assembled minus the wood and I took the picture once I took it most of the way apart. This thing is covered with grime, gunk and rust. It will be taking a dip in the parts washer tomorrow so I can take a look at what is actually there. So far I think everything there besides the gas cylinder lock and everything appears to be Springfield. There was so much crap in the barrel that I couldn't tell what the rifling looks like but I bet it won't be good.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    Dont do much of anything to it yet. The rifle may be worth more with worn out barrel than a replacement. PM with specifics of parts (numbers that are stamped on them) and I can tell you what you do or dont have

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Would you elaborate a bit on what that is? I have had only one Garand before this and I'm not very well versed.

SA experimented with different steels throughout WWII production of the M1, and often found that less expensive steels were in some respects superior to the steel(s) that were replaced. Unfortunately, they couldn't do anything about War Department mandates which required them to change steels regardless of how much complaint and foot-dragging they attempted. This led to heat treatment changes in late '42 and early '43 that weren't anticipated, and the annealing was used to correct the brittleness that the wrong heat treatment produced in the finished receivers. This brittleness also cased breakage of receiver legs during final assembly of some rifles (I forget if this was the '42 or '43 change) and so the MWO at this period also included dipping of the legs along with the heels of affected receivers, and probably grew to include any receivers that were annealed. Ultimately the receiver drawing incorporated a change to machining of the locking recess pockets that eliminated breakage of the receiver legs.

img0431f.jpg

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Dont do much of anything to it yet. The rifle may be worth more with worn out barrel than a replacement. PM with specifics of parts (numbers that are stamped on them) and I can tell you what you do or dont have

^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^ I see what looks like some early parts in your parts pile there which leads me to believe that you may have a complete WWII specimen? If your knowledge of M-1 Garands is limited? I would encourage you to seek guidance of some Garand experts on this site. Cleaning is fine... but I would caution against any kind any re-finish attempt on the metal until you are SURE of what you have there. BTW congrats on your find. I hope it turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    SA experimented with different steels throughout WWII production of the M1, and often found that less expensive steels were in some respects superior to the steel(s) that were replaced. Unfortunately, they couldn't do anything about War Department mandates which required them to change steels regardless of how much complaint and foot-dragging they attempted. This led to heat treatment changes in late '42 and early '43 that weren't anticipated, and the annealing was used to correct the brittleness that the wrong heat treatment produced in the finished receivers. This brittleness also cased breakage of receiver legs during final assembly of some rifles (I forget if this was the '42 or '43 change) and so the MWO at this period also included dipping of the legs along with the heels of affected receivers, and probably grew to include any receivers that were annealed. Ultimately the receiver drawing incorporated a change to machining of the locking recess pockets that eliminated breakage of the receiver legs.

img0431f.jpg

Interesting, I learn something new everyday

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    ^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^ I see what looks like some early parts in your parts pile there which leads me to believe that you may have a WWII specimen? If your knowledge of M-1 Garands is limited? I would encourage you to seek guidance of some Garand experts on this site. Cleaning is fine... but I would caution against any kind any re-finish attempt on the metal until you are SURE of what you have there. BTW congrats on your find. I hope it turns out to be a diamond in the rough.

I have no intentions on doing anything yet besides getting it clean. It literally had mold growing on it so I want to give it a nice hot bath so I can see what's going on. The parts that I just cleaned off with a rag didn't appear to have much pitting, just a lot of nasty stuff.

So IN Dude

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Evansville

img0431f.jpg

I've got a first serial block winchester that has been annealed.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.

img0431f.jpg

Would a dip in the hot tank damage any of this heat treating? Our parts washer runs at about 175 degrees

Top Bottom