• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    uncut op rods are not dangerous to fire. Yes it is " possible" they could crack at theright angle but there has never been a incident recorded of a injury from one cracking

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    uncut op rods are not dangerous to fire. Yes it is " possible" they could crack at theright angle but there has never been a incident recorded of a injury from one cracking

I never indicated that an injury had occurred? However knowing that they CAN crack and have a fully documented history of doing so. Why would one want to take the chance of possible damage to the rifle as well as ruin a collectible op-rod? I simply suggested that it is not recommended to shoot them. It is up to the individual. I personally would not.;)

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    You said it was dangerous so that would lead one to believe it has caused injury
    Not trying to argue just making statement
    There is alot of incorrect info being repeated on the internet, such as the reason op rods cracked is becuase of firing grenades. This is also a internet myth
    I have all correct SA 1941, SA 1943, SA 1944 and SA 1945 Garands all with uncut op rods and I do shoot them all. Am I taking a chance on them breaking? Maybe but the chance is very small. If it does crack I will simply buy another, they are not hard to find or that much premium over a standard op rod.
    Just my opinion

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You said it was dangerous so that would lead one to believe it has caused injury
    Not trying to argue just making statement
    There is alot of incorrect info being repeated on the internet, such as the reason op rods cracked is becuase of firing grenades. This is also a internet myth
    I have all correct SA 1941, SA 1943, SA 1944 and SA 1945 Garands all with uncut op rods and I do shoot them all. Am I taking a chance on them breaking? Maybe but the chance is very small. If it does crack I will simply buy another, they are not hard to find or that much premium over a standard op rod.
    Just my opinion

I guess at this point we can agree to disagree. BTW sounds like you have a very nice collection. Congrats.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    The going assumption on the un-cut op-rod is that it is worth more as-is, than if it is cracked. Many folks work really darn hard to find a "correct" gun and will usually pay a premium to get the exact right part to finish a build. While not as valuable as a documented original rifle, there are some collectors that do like a rifle with original parts for the receiver.

They did break during use in the field, hence the relief cut on many that were originally produced as un-cut, and the later design change to add a radius to relive the stress.

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    The going assumption on the un-cut op-rod is that it is worth more as-is, than if it is cracked. Many folks work really darn hard to find a "correct" gun and will usually pay a premium to get the exact right part to finish a build. While not as valuable as a documented original rifle, there are some collectors that do like a rifle with original parts for the receiver.

They did break during use in the field, hence the relief cut on many that were originally produced as un-cut, and the later design change to add a radius to relive the stress.

Yes of course, I agree

Orlando8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2014
    Central Ohio
    I didnt realize the receiver andrear sight was that rusted/pitted. Thats a shame.
    A old trick is to soak everything in old use motor oil for a few days then lightly rub with a scothbrite pad. This will remove the real light rust. If you plan on shooting this rifle the bolt will need to be dissasembled an cleaned, make sure the pin is not binding on rust et.
    There really isnt any collector value since it has excess damage to the reciever. I would bet the barrel is toast. I wouldnt put any money into it until you have it inspected by somone who knows Garands to see if its safe to rebarrel
    Good luck with your project

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    That's too bad, I wouldn't trust it that looks like it's been hot to me too. There's still plenty of good Garands around reasonably priced, I wouldn't put any money into refurbishing that, even as a wall hanger.

Last edited:

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I think I just found it a new home at the Indiana Military Museum. I'm going to clean it up and throw it in a stock for display purposes

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Was that thing in a fire? Seems odd the handguard metal is still there.

Exactly what I was wondering after seeing the hand guard metal still in place like that. That would also explain the amount of surface rust. While a rifle will rust if left exposed to the elements, generally if it is stored inside it won't get that much rust on the parts that were parkerized like that. My grandpa brought a K98 back from WWII and it sat in his basement for 60 years, and there is only really light surface rust on it.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    I just met with the head of the museum and found a stock for it. He gave the green light to clean it up and get it to him to be parkerized and it will be on display in the museum in just a couple of weeks.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    It'll function well as a display piece and I didn't have much in it so its a win win for everyone
    Will the museum or you be doing something to make this rifle permanently non-functional? No telling what somebody down the road might try to do if this rifle appears to be functional.

Top Bottom