I got pulled over can the cop go in my car take my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Officer: Do you know why I pulled you over.
    Me: I will not be answering any questions today.
    Officer: License and registration.
    Me: Hands requested items:
    goes and runs my stuff......
    Officer: Do you have anything illegal;
    Me: That is a question, I have stated I will not be answering any questions.
    Officer threatens me with obeying his commands
    Me: Am I being detained?
    Officer: Get out of the car.
    Me: locks door as exiting, and state I do not consent to Search and seizure, keys in pocket.
    Officer: So we are going to be a tough guy.
    Me: My lawyer and I know my rights, unless I'm being detained, I would like to leave, other wise I would like to speak to your supervisor.
    Officer: You are free to go.

So take this for what its worth, you do not have to answer questions as they are trying to get you to tell on yourself; or open doors to get them an arrest
    Far too much talking.

If you don't want to answer any questions - make that clear and keep your mouth shut. If they go to search you or ask if they can search you - you can say that you do not consent to searches or seizures of your person or your property and then ... ::drum roll please:: shut up.

That is if you don't want to just 'be a nice guy' as some feel you should. IMHO you have to read the situation, the officer's attitude, etc.

I once got pulled over and the officer - as soon as he got to my window - just started screaming and yelling at me about how he could take me to jail and how dangerously I was driving yadda yadda. [I wasn't doing anything reckless, not sure if he had me confused with somebody else or what].

I got no ticket, car wasn't impounded, I wasn't taken to jail. I just sat there - let him scream - handed him my docs - and let him do what he wanted to do and I kept my mouth shut. There was nothing I could have said that would have made the situation better and a LOT I could have said that would have made it worse.

Another time I got stopped - it was just to let me know I had a tail light out and that I'd want to get it fixed. He gave me a warning and explained that he had to justify the stop in the system somehow but didn't feel I deserved a ticket for something that could easily be something I wasn't aware of - not sure how true that is but meh, no ticket is no ticket and he was nice.

Last edited:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    License plate light being out is legitimate grounds for a stop. If a car has four red emitting tail lights, two on each side, and just one of them are out, or one on each side, so that each side still has at least one working red emitting brake/tail light, that's not grounds for a stop, as IC doesn't require that every bulb in a tail light fixture be fully functional, as long as all of the legal functions are met by the ones that are.

Top Bottom