I got pulled over can the cop go in my car take my gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Between you and me it would be a courteous thing. Between a police agent of the government, it's not about courtesy...it's about their perceived power which you are protected from by your rights (rights are enumerated in the constitution...the "right to smoke" is not in the Constitution IIRC).

A lot of rights are not listed in the Constitution

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I'm sure that your traffic stops had nothing to do with the fact that you broke some sort of traffic law or ordinance. Yup, us cops see young people in nice cars and assume they are up to no good. That logic is so stupid and full of fail I just don't know what to say. Young folks in nice cars are not red-flag issues. Maybe you should stop inventing reasons to say you got stopped and just stop breaking traffic laws, which is probably the real reason you keep getting stopped.

How about black guys in nice cars in all white neighborhoods? Or supermodels in short shorts getting warnings?

Don't tell me profiling never happens... thats as dishonest as claiming you got pulled over for no reason. You may not profile... and if thats the case, then I commend you for it, but don't make a blanket statement that it never happens.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    If I was a smoker and you asked me to not smoke near you, I wouldn't say I'm giving up my rights by not smoking. I'd say that I could be courteous to you and not smoke near you. No infringement on my right.

But to each their own, I suppose.

Analogy fail. Not smoking near someone would only relate to not shooting near them.

Why didn't you attempt to compare simply possessing a pack of smokes with possessing a gun? Because that wouldn't support your view?

jonlong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    United States
    You're focusing on the wrong aspect of the analogy. The point is that if an officer requests that I move my firearm, that I would be happy to voluntarily do so. As an attorney, and a supporter of gun rights, I don't need any reminders as to what my rights are, or their legal foundation. I also understand that police have a difficult job and if moving my firearm, which has no detrimental impact on me, helps them feel more comfortable, I will be happy to do so.

With all of that said, I'm glad that the people here are strong advocates for gun rights. That is the attitude that is needed to maintain our rights. I think I'm done arguing my point, but it was a fun discussion.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You're focusing on the wrong aspect of the analogy. The point is that if an officer requests that I move my firearm, that I would be happy to voluntarily do so. As an attorney, and a supporter of gun rights, I don't need any reminders as to what my rights are, or their legal foundation. I also understand that police have a difficult job and if moving my firearm, which has no detrimental impact on me, helps them feel more comfortable, I will be happy to do so.

With all of that said, I'm glad that the people here are strong advocates for gun rights. That is the attitude that is needed to maintain our rights. I think I'm done arguing my point, but it was a fun discussion.

In the original post, there was no consent.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    How about black guys in nice cars in all white neighborhoods? Or supermodels in short shorts getting warnings?

Don't tell me profiling never happens... thats as dishonest as claiming you got pulled over for no reason. You may not profile... and if thats the case, then I commend you for it, but don't make a blanket statement that it never happens.

I can't speak for every officer in the country because I don't know them all. I can say that I don't operate that way and nobody that I am close to on my department operates that way. I think if you knew me or ever rode with me you'd see how ridiculous your statement seems from my end.

TheWiredFox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    First of all, when asked if there is a gun, respond with 'nothing illegal' and/or 'here is my CCW permit'
    Second, any answer to a question or statement that the officer says 'can i search your car' or 'i will need to see your gun' or whatever - ANY answer that is 'okay' 'i guess' 'sure' 'whatever' ALLOWS the officer to proceed. BE VERY CLEAR that you do not even SLIGHTLY consent.
    Third, if the above two are disregarded, comply with the rest of what the officer says. Continue to say you do not consent, and get a lawyer when you can.

Fourth, to the LEO: a CCW means 99.99 percent of the time, this person's guns are of no concern. Period.
    Based on the LEO in the news lately... that is a FAR better percentage than the 'LEO = good guy' percentage.

TheWiredFox

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    First of all, when asked if there is a gun, respond with 'nothing illegal' and/or 'here is my CCW permit'
    Second, any answer to a question or statement that the officer says 'can i search your car' or 'i will need to see your gun' or whatever - ANY answer that is 'okay' 'i guess' 'sure' 'whatever' ALLOWS the officer to proceed. BE VERY CLEAR that you do not even SLIGHTLY consent.
    Third, if the above two are disregarded, comply with the rest of what the officer says. Continue to say you do not consent, and get a lawyer when you can.

Fourth, to the LEO: a CCW means 99.99 percent of the time, this person's guns are of no concern. Period.
    Based on the LEO in the news lately... that is a FAR better percentage than the 'LEO = good guy' percentage.

TheWiredFox

What is this CCW you speak of

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Alright, I must be doing something wrong.

Driving to work in Lake County this morning, I was pulled over for speeding. The officer took my license and registration, then came back and gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Honestly, I have no idea exactly how fast I was going (which is what I told him), but north of 55 mph would have been normal in this area so....yep.

He never asked about a gun. I never volunteered that I had one, but I guess he would have known I had a LTCH when he looked me up. What am I doing wrong? This encounter with the JBT was nothing like INGO had led me to expect.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia

Driving to work in Lake County this morning, I was pulled over for speeding. The officer took my license and registration, then came back and gave me a warning and sent me on my way. Honestly, I have no idea exactly how fast I was going (which is what I told him), but north of 55 mph would have been normal in this area so....yep.

He never asked about a gun. I never volunteered that I had one, but I guess he would have known I had a LTCH when he looked me up. What am I doing wrong? This encounter with the JBT was nothing like INGO had led me to expect.

You got ripped off. I would file a complaint. Your tax dollars paying for you to be pulled out of the car - I would demand he do it.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

Sorry for your disappointment. My daughter-in-law who was stopped by Warasw PD didn't have the same encounter, but should have.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    ... but I even use fluoride free toothpaste. Instead of just calling people who don't agree with fluoride dirty hippie liberals, have you ever researched it yourselves? Read the MSDS sheet on it? Read it and you will know why it says not to swallow your toothpaste on the back. Even my dentist doesn't use it. Anyways, I'm going off on a tangent now, so I'll end this and try to keep this thread on topic. Here's the MSDS of sodium fluoride (the most common source of fluoride) for those who care what goes into their body though.

SODIUM FLUORIDE

YES! Dental professionals everywhere thank you. :):

You keep doing your junior scientist research on the internet, Sparky. Wish there were more of you out there. Things are kinda slow these days. People just don't have cavities like they used to. Can't imagine why that is ... :laugh:

ptfd923

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Sorry for your disappointment. My daughter-in-law who was stopped by Warasw PD didn't have the same encounter, but should have.

That doesn't surprise me in Warsaw. I talked with a LEO from Warsaw just asking questions. He informed me it was the law I had to tell him there was a firearm in the vehicle I didn't know the IC number so I just said OK and that was the end of our conversation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A smile/pleasant attitude/yes sir...no sir. These things have always worked for me. Must be something to it.

Top Bottom