• ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Just met with Dave, the physicians assistant.

I get to keep my finger! Yay and whoopie.

I will not get to full use. Damage was too severe.

I will be discharged tomorrow after intravenus antibiotic regimen is done.

I will 100% have one more surgery, outpatient at Fort Wayne Ortho. There is about a 30% chance I will need two more surgerys.

I will be off of work for 4 - 6 weeks.

I am truly blessed! At 48 this is the worst that I have endured. There are so many who put up with far worse.

Doug

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Would you be so kind as to clarify your terms please? I am not familiar with those expressions.

Zebco=to "flick" the pistol out just before the end point of the presentation. The muzzle can go up, or can even go over the shoulder. To handle the pistol as if one were casting with a Zebco fishing reel. One sees it the most on the line with single action revolvers as people will not cock the weapon with the support side but with their shooting hand and rock the weapon back.

John Wayne=to ride the recoil up, or to begin lifting the pistol up before shooting as Marion (sometimes) did in his films. In the gun culture, not only is gun selection copied from the movies, but gun handling is copied as well.

Last edited:

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    This is a great example of what I love about INGO. I love that folks here are willing to share their mistakes, with the goal of helping others learn and avoid those mistakes. As someone who discovered the shooting sports later in life, I've learned a great deal from these types of posts and avoided making many of these mistakes myself.

A big thank you to Libertarian01 for sharing this, along with wishes for a speedy recovery.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Rhe pistol was pointed down range.

I had just put my hand over the top of the pistol in order to keep it from comimg back to hit her in case the recoil from hitting her in the face. My goal was hervprotection.

Unfortuneately she squeezed the trigger while my hand was too high.

The muzzle came up and caught me good.

WTF? So you were teaching her w/ a gun you knew she probably wouldn't be able to control? Way to go. Hard to feel sympathy.
    And you weren't shot? the muzzle/sight cut your hand or something? Or you put your hand in front of the muzzle? Or she was about to shoot in the air?

story makes no sense. we'll blame pain killers.

hopefully she will try shooting again... hopefully w/ someone w/ some experience instructing.

"Here, try this .44 mag. hehehe."

-rvb

red46239

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    SE Indy
    Glad to hear you won't loose the finger Doug. I don't know how I would drive without my favorite fingers... :):

In all seriousness, thank you for sharing this with us and I hope your recovery is quick.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ouch! Glad to hear that you're okay.

Mind if I ask how old the shooter is? I just started teaching my oldest (she's 7), but only with a Savage Rascal. I have no idea (though certainly it will be several years at a minimum) how long it will be before I put a pistol in her hands.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Lesson learned: don't put my digits ove the business end of a Hand cannon. Got it.
    get well soon.

P.S. I hope you let the kid you were teaching know NOT to shoot herself in the hand.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Ouch! Glad to hear that you're okay.

Mind if I ask how old the shooter is? I just started teaching my oldest (she's 7), but only with a Savage Rascal. I have no idea (though certainly it will be several years at a minimum) how long it will be before I put a pistol in her hands.

Threadjack: why?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Threadjack: why?

Personal preference/choice. I can teach them safe firearm handling rules. I can teach them to aim, and to punch paper. But I'm not a firearms instructor. Until I've satisfied myself that they're capable and ready to handle a handgun, I'm not going to take chances. (See: the OP, and the 9-year-old with the Uzi.)

The first matter is safety of others. Part of the reason for starting them on a rifle is that it is much easier to keep them from pointing it somewhere it shouldn't be pointed. But that's not the biggest issue in the long-term. Mastery of firearm handling safety isn't rocket science; it's just discipline.

The bigger issue is safety for themselves. Handguns require an entirely different level of strength, hand-eye coordination, and other factors that I don't believe she's ready for at 7, and I don't know when that changes.

This is my first go-around with teaching someone to handle firearms and to shoot. I'm playing it by ear. And when it comes to my kids, I'm pretty risk-averse.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Tagging. For the pile-on. Just not sure who's going to be the target yet.

When you look around the room, and don't see a target.... ;)

To the OP: best of luck, and thanks for posting your learning experience.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sorry to hear of this and I hope the healing progresses quickly. Thanks for the posting. Incidents like this are usually some anonymous person and it's easy to think 'Couldn't happen to me'. Then you hear of it happening to someone that has built a bunch of respect among friends and it reminds us that it can indeed happen to any of us.

Top Bottom