• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Glad you are OK. Dont get too down on loss of use of your finger. I forcibly ripped my wedding band off by snagging it on the top of a stake bed truck as I jumped down. The only thing that kept my finger intact and not "degloved" or violently amputated was the fact my hand was wet. Its been 18 months and I cant wear a ring due to permanent swelling (also tried on my right hand and it freaked me out) . While I have some issues, gun handling (it was my strong hand) is not a problem.

Dont sweat it and listen to your PT. Work it out and you will be fine.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Doug, that's a major bummer. It's good you are okay, things like this happen and your posting this here is a good learning experience for all. As well as a reminder that no one is immune from mistakes. Through rest and diligence your hand should be fine if you keep at it.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    prayers are with you. you were doing a good thing, accidents happen. Thank god you are ok. Dont let this hinder you in teaching others, let this help you in safety.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Speedy and miraculous recovery Lib-01 ... (full motion!)

From all said - I'm sure it's not a mistake you'll repeat.
    I'm also sure you be better prepared for the next lesson on selection ...

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Thought this was gonna be one of those misleading thread titles but NOPE. Glad you're mostly ok, and as mentioned before, work that pt as hard as you can.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Glad to hear it wasn't more serious than it was. My son was 9 the first time he fired one of my full size caliber guns, one round in the pipe just so he could see what it was like. He hasn't fired that pistol since.

Good lucky on a speedy recovery.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sorry to hear about this. Don't let this scare you off of teaching young people to shoot.

<-- This guy was 9 when this picture was taken. That is my M&P 22 he is holding. He shot a lot with a BB pistol (and rifle), using all the same gun handling we would do with a true firearm. Then we transitioned to the M&P 22:

attachment.php

He has now shot with my M&P 9, but so far, only one round loaded at a time. I could go into all the little things that I instructed him on, but this is not the place (however, you can tell we rock the isosceles in our house...though I want his shoulders more forward than this).

I hope the recovery goes well, and keep teaching kids to shoot, but do some thinking about stepping them into centerfire, not so much because of recoil, but so the proper technique can be taught, observed and mastered before there is any recoil to think about.

Last edited:

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Kudos to you for sharing the details so that everyone learns. I hope your hand heals better than expected.

ETA: and also a good reminder of the benefit of being ready to treat a gunshot wound

I believe it was Frank (of Fortress Defense) that I heard mentioning this once on a podcast. Something like if you hang around shooters long enough, the need to treat a gunshot wound will arise (pardon me for any accidental misquotes)

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So sorry to here this happened! Thanks for sharing your experience. It's an eye opener! Safety can't be stressed enough for sure. Best of luck on the healing. Hopefully it goes fast!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Hope everything heals up well, Doug.

A good reminder for us all that when utilizing firearms, we can't lose focus, even for a 'moment'.

Best wishes for a quick recovery.

MG

Top Bottom