I had my first "man with a gun" incident last night.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been lurking here for a while but now I have a reason to post. It's long, but I don't want to leave out any details.

I was out for a late night walk last night in my rather peaceful Ft. Wayne neighborhood. I had my .45 XD in an IWB partially exposed. It's late, no one's likely to notice it and I dressed business casual so I don't "fit the stereotype".

As I'm walking home through the Northcrest appts. I notice a couple fighting loudly on the street and I stop about 100 yds. away to observe. It's pretty heated and I don't want to see any violence. After a few minutes the man notices me and yells at me, "go inside and mind your own business."
    "Is everything is alright?" I reply.
    "Yeah, go inside!"
    "OK, maybe you should relax and go inside too."
    "Why don't you come over here and say that!"
    "No, I'm not looking for a fight I just want to be sure you are both OK," I reply calmly.

Then he approaches me. My left hand goes smoothly onto my .45 as he closes in. "I'm not looking for trouble," I state.
    "Oh, you got gun. You going to shoot me? I'll take that gun and shoot you!", he postures defiantly.
    As he's approaching me, I'm backing away keeping a gap. Then the woman drives up with an infant in the back seat.
    "Are you OK?" I ask.
    She steps out and starts to berate me then gets back into the car and calls the police stating "there's a man with a gun and I don't know what he's doing."
    They drive back down the street and I go talk to a neighbor and get the scoop on them. He's a druggie, no surprise there.
    Cops arrive, I raise my hand and alert them to my XD, he politely remove and unload my .45. I then explain the situation first "I was concerned for the child's safety and remained a good distance away until he came after me."
    "OK, I'll run a check of your license and we'll let you go on your way soon," the officer says.
    After talking with them and then briefly to me, his partner hands over my license, open XD and magazine - I'm free to go. No lectures on open carry at all. The only words were "Be careful, you don't know if the other guy has a gun." None of the neighbors I talked with had any problem with my pistol.

He was right. I thought about it later, what if he did have a gun? During the altercation I never even considered this.

Lessons learned:
    1. If there's no immediate threat of loss of live or extreme injury, Retreat, observe and report are the rules of the day.
    2. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean the bad guy will back down.
    3. Some people are reasonable (Cops, neighbors) and some are not (BG). Don't try to confront or reason with those that cannot be reasoned with.
    4. Remember others may be armed and keep a wide gap (6-8 feet is not enough! He could have jumped me.).

Comments?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Well now that you're posting... quit lurking and jump into the community feet first!!! Great first post, and sounds like you got everything right and learned for future experiences!! Good job and welcome aboard!!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Sounds like you learned all the right lessons.

+1

Generally the type that say something like "I'll take it from you, what then" are the type that do it from a car, across the street and peel out the second you look in their direction.

Interesting to see the idiot say it AND approach you. Sounds like a potentional darwin awardee in the making.

Keep your eyes open around him from here on out, he's probably still about it and possibly feeling empowered and/or resentful by the way it ended.

Welcome to INGO :welcome:

BearArms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    Haha, glad you are ok. Did this guy happen to have a neck tattoo? Sounds like the same dumbass I ran into.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Well done the only thing I would have done different is I wouldn't have responded to the "crazy". I would have kept staring; maybe that would have teed him off more. Then I would have went on my way as if nothing happened.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well done the only thing I would have done different is I wouldn't have responded to the "crazy". I would have kept staring; maybe that would have teed him off more. Then I would have went on my way as if nothing happened.

I'll agree with this. Next time, I won't respond, just retreat a different location and continue observation.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    +1

Generally the type that say something like "I'll take it from you, what then" are the type that do it from a car, across the street and peel out the second you look in their direction.

Interesting to see the idiot say it AND approach you. Sounds like a potentional darwin awardee in the making.

I thought he would see my gun and back off. I wasn't prepared for him continuing to advance with no fear. My main desire at that point was to avoid drawing my pistol and determined a steady retreat was best.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You also learned never to get involved in a domestic dispute. It never turns out good for the "interloper". :):

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Agreed. Their anger levels were high and I was the only one concerned for safety. Not a good position to be in.

I agree. But. What if you saw him hitting her. And I'm not talking about a slap. I mean a beating. Should you intervene then? Of course you'd call the cops. But could you just stand there and watch, and not get involved?

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I'll agree with this. Next time, I won't respond, just retreat a different location and continue observation.

i agree with you to observe but depending on how "heated" the argument was I would have the cell very handy... like dialing 911 but not the send button...just depends...

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Sounds like it was a great learning experience for you and you definitely learned some new things that will help you in being more prepared to deal in the future. Or, not to deal at all. Scutter is right about not getting involved in the domestic stuff IMO because there is always more to the argument than whatever it is they are currently fighting over. They're fighting because he didn't take out the trash but she's really pissed that he's a crackhead but she loves him so she won't leave cuz he'll change.

Great first post and welcome to the INGO community!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Yea, now that I think about it, way too many things to go wrong.

If everything goes right, she has one black eye instead of two. If things go wrong (high possibility) there's a mess to sort out and everyone is unhappy. If things really go wrong, someone dies.

When you're outside of the situation and think about it, it's definitely not wroth getting involved.

Retreat. Observe. Report. That's my motto in this situation.
    If the fight comes to you, do your best to get away - but be prepared to defend yourself.

avengedXT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 84%
    20   4   1
    Feb 15, 2010
    Behind the V!
    Good first post. I have to second the comment that I would stick to myself unless seeing somebody physically beat. I would most definitely contact the local police in that situation. And I would not be a vigilante.. BY ANY MEANS. It's not your job, not even necessarily your right.

Your right as a second amendment practicer, carrying a firearm to defend YOURSELF or your family; you cannot make the decision to fire on somebody else. Now of course, you having your hand ready on your gun was wise when the person approached you. If a situation turns to where you're in danger, you have a given right to defend yourself.

You also need to keep in mind; a court will view how well you viewed the situation, how you weighed the possibilites.. And not to mention, if you killed somebody who was beating his wife's face in, it's no matter - unless you're a LEO with a good story to boot, you're facing murder charges.

Just something to consider.. I think you handled it well though. You came out safe. Definitely handled things with the law well

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I agree. But. What if you saw him hitting her. And I'm not talking about a slap. I mean a beating. Should you intervene then? Of course you'd call the cops. But could you just stand there and watch, and not get involved?

Most women in abusive relationships love the man that beats her and will defend him (base on actual with my Soldiers). So if you intervene and end up hurting her "boo" she'll not defend your actions.

Top Bottom