I had my first "man with a gun" incident last night.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Retreat. Observe. Report. That's my motto in this situation.

If the fight comes to you, do your best to get away - but be prepared to defend yourself.

:+1:

This is the best reaction. Their problems are not your problems and their emergency is not your emergency. Too many unknown variables to get involved in someone else's fight, argument, etc.

Even if it's a lady, old man, or child. You can play good citizen / hero if you want but you better be prepared to pay the consequences.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    … He was right. I thought about it later, what if he did have a gun? During the altercation I never even considered this. …

So, you didn’t/don’t know whether he had a gun, but he knew you had a gun. Isn't that interesting? Something to ponder.

I thought he would see my gun and back off. …….

Doesn’t always work that way. In this case it may have actually been provocative. Some people are set off by such things.

… I wasn't prepared for him continuing to advance with no fear. ….

Well, when you OC, you’ve kind of laid your cards on the table and have to be prepared. Whatcha gonna do? Now's the time to think about it.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You also learned never to get involved in a domestic dispute. It never turns out good for the "interloper". :):

Exactly right. And if you had been forced to shoot the POS, she would have been testifying that you attacked them both for no reason and her husband died protecting her from you.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Once the argument goes beyond about a minute they are now becoming a public nuisance and I might consider dialing for the paid ambassadors of good will to come deal with the problem.

Observe and report! Why in the heck should we have to witness someone berating anyone in public. Take it indoors keep it non violent and at a discrete sound level.

The buffoonery escalated into someone threatening you because you dared to observe them being a moron and you get to be investigated albeit cursory and this dipwad doesn't get charged with assault for his threats on you or your personal property is a joke.

When we have to fear violence because we dare get involved in a domestic argument by observation is pathetic and should not be tolerated.

If you threaten me that is not free speech but an invitation for me to defend myself because I have zero psychic ability to help me decide if you are serious or just talking out your butt.

I'm gunna is my clue to say you shoulda because I am not waiting to see if you were fer reals or just pretending.

Society needs to learn some real lessons about the social graces again.

Sorry OP you handled yourself way better than the ape who threatened you but honestly you are way more level headed than I would have been once he stalked up on me.

But I am a gimpy FB who cannot stand a bully or a jackazz.

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    observe_report_dual.jpg

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Wow what a douche. I can see where anyone would want to get involved to keep the situation from escalating further. I would be worried as well as somehow getting charged with something for getting involved if someone was to have gotten hurt. Seems stupid stuff like that always happens. Like the burglars who fall through your skylight and get hurt and sue. Nice handling of the situation overall imo.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow what a douche. I can see where anyone would want to get involved to keep the situation from escalating further. I would be worried as well as somehow getting charged with something for getting involved if someone was to have gotten hurt. Seems stupid stuff like that always happens. Like the burglars who fall through your skylight and get hurt and sue. Nice handling of the situation overall imo.

Yeah, but you have 4 red bars, that is quite an accomplishment.:D

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I think the moment the dork advanced on me after seeing that I was armed & saying: "oh you got a gun? I'm going to take it from you & shoot you with it" that I would have ordered him to 1.) "STAY BACK" & to 2.) "KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM" & then finally 3.) "ON THE GROUND NOW" at that point I would feel secure enough to dial 911 and have an officer respond to deal with the dork.

After advancing and threatening my life after he noticed that I was armed was clearly an "imminent use of unlawful force with a risk of SBI to myself" & as such his failure to comply with my commands at that point would not be optional.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I think the moment the dork advanced on me after seeing that I was armed & saying: "oh you got a gun? I'm going to take it from you & shoot you with it" that I would have ordered him to 1.) "STAY BACK" & to 2.) "KEEP YOUR HANDS WHERE I CAN SEE THEM" & then finally 3.) "ON THE GROUND NOW" at that point I would feel secure enough to dial 911 and have an officer respond to deal with the dork.

After advancing and threatening my life after he noticed that I was armed was clearly an "imminent use of unlawful force with a risk of SBI to myself" & as such his failure to comply with my commands at that point would not be optional.

And what if he doesn't do what you say? You going to shoot him? The wife/girl friend would tell the cops you threaten them with your gun.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    And what if he doesn't do what you say? You going to shoot him? The wife/girl friend would tell the cops you threaten them with your gun.

Like I said, at that point: (advancing on me, knowing that I am armed & threatening to take my gun away & shoot me with it) failure to comply with my commands would not be an option for him.

I would not risk SBI or death on the chance that the dork would not actually try to make good on his threat - PERIOD.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    At the risk of :horse:

I wouldn't.

At the risk of :horse::horse:, I agree. There are far too many people in this world who seem to have very little to lose. I have a lot to lose. It'd take a pretty serious beatdown before I would think of getting near it. I'm calling the police.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Like I said, at that point: (advancing on me, knowing that I am armed & threatening to take my gun away & shoot me with it) failure to comply with my commands would not be an option for him.

I would not risk SBI or death on the chance that the dork would not actually try to make good on his threat - PERIOD.

Couldn't of said it better myself. +1

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

Again, that's why you don't get involved in a DD. Not even the cops like getting in between a fighting couple. At the point the guy was advancing on our intrepid reporter, it was already going south. It's commendable that he tried to be a good citizen and neighbor, but next time he'll think twice about getting involved in a fight that's not his. The gun should be your absolute last resort. Not getting into the fight at all is the first plan.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010

SO....you shoot him, he's unarmed and dead, and his scuzzbag wife tells the cops all about how they weren't bothering anyone and you started yelling at them, then pulled your gun out and shot her dear husband.

Good luck with that one! :n00b:

Personally, I'm getting the heck out of there, and will call 911 from a more advantageous position. I will NEVER involve myself in a third party domestic situation, unless I am absolutely forced to. A vast majority of the time, the woman will side with her man, and YOU will be the enemy.

These druggies don't think rationally. Rather than being scared off by a gun, it can merely escalate the situation. Dealing with them is a no-win situation. Better to avoid it at all costs.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Lessons learned:
    1. If there's no immediate threat of loss of live or extreme injury, Retreat, observe and report are the rules of the day.
    2. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean the bad guy will back down.
    3. Some people are reasonable (Cops, neighbors) and some are not (BG). Don't try to confront or reason with those that cannot be reasoned with.
    4. Remember others may be armed and keep a wide gap (6-8 feet is not enough! He could have jumped me.).

Comments?

Yes all that but I'd add another lesson
    .01 If it's a situation you are really all that concerned about, call the cops and avoid needing all the rest of those rules. If it's not worth calling the cops over then it's probably not really a dire situation and MYOB is the order of the day.

If you call the cops and any of the rest of those rules actually do come in to play you are way better off and who knows, they may get there in plenty of time for you to do nothing but blend in to the back round and disappear. No big deal trips to court, saves amo. It's all somebody else's problem.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I thought he would see my gun and back off. I wasn't prepared for him continuing to advance with no fear. My main desire at that point was to avoid drawing my pistol and determined a steady retreat was best.

Not every one bluffs easy.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

May be she's telling him her boyfriend beat her and went to get his gun. May be he thinks you coming about, sticking your nose in his business is a threat. You don't know them, they don't know you, now you are up in his business and start putting you hand on your gun.

You should call the cops and mind your own business because you are about to get shot if the situation isn't what you think it is, you start barking out orders, and I'm that guy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom