• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    nope, it is almost the other way around.. The promoter rents the venue, then sells the table spaces to vendors, the promoter gets the door.. but not sales..
    by limiting the amount of table space you can charge a higher price per table..
    having limited space means vendors will book earlier, so they know they are going to get a space..
    the door income will pretty much stay the same, might even drop if you moveto somewhere like downtown where parking is $15 plus Vs $2 for parking at fair grounds

there is also restrictions on food vendors and such that also play into picking a venue..

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    nope, it is almost the other way around.. The promoter rents the venue, then sells the table spaces to vendors, the promoter gets the door.. but not sales..
    having limited space means vendors will book earlier, so they know they are going to get a space..
    the door income will pretty much stay the same, might even drop if you moveto somewhere like downtown where parking is $15 plus Vs $2 for parking at fair grounds

there is also restrictions on food vendors and such that also play into picking a venue..

All I'm saying is there has to be a better venue for this that would be able to fit the amount of poeple that go to the 1500 in much better. Turning away poeple bc of long lines and such isn't good for business and will hurt them in the long run.

MagicKev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Hdfb03, I will try not to sound rude here. Do you own a business?

Here's why I ask:
    Lines are bad? Tell that to Pat's cheesesteak in Philly. Been there forever. Could have made it bigger. Lines are up to two blocks long at lunch. But what happens when the line is short is short between meals? You still gotta heat and light the place. Bad for business? Then why are thy still in business?

Do you have any clue as to the price in the fairgrounds versus the convention center?

Turning away people because of long lines? Hmmm, they were at capacity. As far at that show goes, you cannot ask for more.

So the show moves downtown. Next you'll be here complaining of parking prices. Just wait till a major sporting event is the same weekend. Good luck parking anywhere close or cheaply.

Sorry, but business is good for them. Or at least good enough. You may not like the lines, but that doesn't change business 101.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Way back when I was helping out at the 1500, as well as working with another promoter, I looked for a venue that would be larger than the buildings at the Indiana State Fair Grounds and could not find any larger buildings within a reasonable distance.

Fact, after checking around I became amazed at how large the buildings are at the fair grounds!

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hdfb03, I will try not to sound rude here. Do you own a business?

Here's why I ask:
    Lines are bad? Tell that to Pat's cheesesteak in Philly. Been there forever. Could have made it bigger. Lines are up to two blocks long at lunch. But what happens when the line is short is short between meals? You still gotta heat and light the place. Bad for business? Then why are thy still in business?

Do you have any clue as to the price in the fairgrounds versus the convention center?

Turning away people because of long lines? Hmmm, they were at capacity. As far at that show goes, you cannot ask for more.

So the show moves downtown. Next you'll be here complaining of parking prices. Just wait till a major sporting event is the same weekend. Good luck parking anywhere close or cheaply.

Sorry, but business is good for them. Or at least good enough. You may not like the lines, but that doesn't change business 101.

Thank you for your lesson, I dont own a business so I must not know anything about happy customers and expanding businesses at all.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

When's the last time you parked at the fairgrounds for $2?

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Thank you for your lesson, I dont own a business so I must not know anything about happy customers and expanding businesses at all.

He was trying to be polite, so don't be such a prick because you obviously don't understand.

A certain percentage of your customers will always be unhappy. You may lose their business, but the question is the cost and hassle associated with keeping them around less than the benefits of having them present. Contrary to the cliche, the customer is not always right. Even if there is a potentially better option, there is always risk in moving. As others have pointed out factors such as parking are much more expensive at the convention center.

If you don't like the lines and the crowds, go early on a Sunday morning. At this point in the panic it will probably still be crowded, but when things settle down a bit you can walk around without bumping into everyone.

When's the last time you parked at the fairgrounds for $2?

Haha, yeah I always park on a nearby street and just walk.

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    He was trying to be polite, so don't be such a prick because you obviously don't understand.

A certain percentage of your customers will always be unhappy. You may lose their business, but the question is the cost and hassle associated with keeping them around less than the benefits of having them present. Contrary to the cliche, the customer is not always right. Even if there is a potentially better option, there is always risk in moving. As others have pointed out factors such as parking are much more expensive at the convention center.

If you don't like the lines and the crowds, go early on a Sunday morning. At this point in the panic it will probably still be crowded, but when things settle down a bit you can walk around without bumping into everyone.

Haha, yeah I always park on a nearby street and just walk.

No he said he didn't want to be rude, and was. But please continue to call me a prick. I asked a simple question, didn't ask for rudeness or to be called a prick.

rwhitmore8

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    The United States of America
    I think there should be a national gun show on pennsylvania avenue in front of the Federation of American Communism building. Previously known as the White House. Of course, only after the renovations. It should look great painted red and black with hammer & sickle drapes. I mean it would only seem fitting to hold the biggest gun show in front of the country's best gun salesman's home.

citizenkane

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    The shows at the Louisville convention center are in a much larger facility. The idles are nice and wide. Of course the tickets are $12 a day and parking is $8.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    No he said he didn't want to be rude, and was. But please continue to call me a prick. I asked a simple question, didn't ask for rudeness or to be called a prick.

Sounded like MagicKev answered your question appropriately to me. Just because he didn't agree with your suggestion of moving to another building doesn't make his response rude. Lighten up a bit. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/magickev.html:twocents:

Hdfb03

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Sounded like MagicKev answered your question appropriately to me. Just because he didn't agree with your suggestion of moving to another building doesn't make his response rude. Lighten up a bit. https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/magickev.html:twocents:

Other people answered my question just fine with out telling me I know nothing about business. I don't talk down to people, and don't need to be talked down to. It was a simple question of how to make the show better. I have been multiple times, I like the gun show, but we all know it is way too cramped and the lines are crazy. Like I said, simple question to create conversation. Plenty of people don't agree with me, but I don't need to be talked to like a child bc he thinks I have no business sense.

jLr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    That makes sense, but I feel like more money could be made with more room.

All I'm saying is there has to be a better venue for this that would be able to fit the amount of poeple that go to the 1500 in much better. Turning away poeple bc of long lines and such isn't good for business and will hurt them in the long run.

Other people answered my question just fine with out telling me I know nothing about business. I don't talk down to people, and don't need to be talked down to. It was a simple question of how to make the show better. I have been multiple times, I like the gun show, but we all know it is way too cramped and the lines are crazy. Like I said, simple question to create conversation. Plenty of people don't agree with me, but I don't need to be talked to like a child bc he thinks I have no business sense.

Right, and see your responses to their answers to your question. It's a forum, and you will hear from folks from time to time who know a great deal about certain topics, and explain things in great detail.

I was just suggesting that you not take things so personally. You can really learn a lot from these people, even though they may appear to be "rude" at times.

Top Bottom