• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vtnewbie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2019
    Vermont
    Turned 69, got my first gun for christmas at age 10(Sears single shot 22), anyway went to the Salem gun show this weekend and realized there was nothing I wanted to buy. Ended up buying some silver coins. I already have most of the classics, Python, SAA, rem 700, browning A5, an AR, several European classic sxs`s, lots of .22`s, a few mil surplus, etc. So I have more then I can shoot, but its more of an end of life decision to enjoy what I already have. Have any of you older retired guys come to the same conclusion? or are you still accumulating?
    Just turned 60, and am usually giving guns to my (all grown up now) kids as presents. That has the added benefit of justifying that I still make occasional purchases.

Reactions: Leo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    In my early 60s and I am at the point where I am more likely to get rid of guns instead of buying them. Can't see open sights well at all and have guns just sitting around that won't be fired anytime soon. I even made a resolution of sorts to NOT buy any guns in 2024 but to upgrade the ones that I thought about doing to some for many years , like my Savage varmint rifle. Finally ordered a new barrel for it .

Some of the guns I bought in the last few years have been disappointments which also lessens my enthusiasm for new guns in general. But I am sure before the year ends I will give in and end up buying or trading for something "I didn't realize I needed!" Seen one in the classifieds here that keeps tempting me!
    Only time I'll sell a gun is if I'm going to upgrade to a better firearm.
    All my firearms will be handed down to family members. No better way to stay in one's memory than pulling out or looking at a firearm given to you by a loved one or close friend.

Also quality knives are good.

Stengun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2024
    Horseheads
    A bit younger but still buying, but much more selective. Have the enfield sickness so may variation to locate across most 100years of production And pre 1912 models are my current facination.

Same caliber I already have means a lot too

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Yes, I have had those discussions over the years. The difference for me is I am naturally a minimalist type person so it's a little easier to own the few that I have.

Outside of that, finances play a secondary (and big) role in my decision to stop buying firearms. I have also stopped buying pretty much anything that isn't needed for the managing of my life in retirement.

That said, if I won the lottery, I still wouldn't be buying any more firearms.
    same here, i just turned 66 last month. i'm a competitive shooter, so my purchases lean towards that part of shooting. my last gun purchase (Ruger PC9) took me 4 years of "deciding" whether i really wanted/needed to spend the money, when i already had several guns i could compete with. IF/when i decide to retire i probably wont have the "extra" money around to go to matches. for the most part gas/travel expenses are the biggest factor to when & where i shoot. even today i have to limit myself to a couple hours drive to a match. i spend a LOT of my work week behind the wheel of my service truck, so driving anywhere on the weekends kinda sucks. hell i need to pick up my prescriptions from walgreens 2 miles away, and i dont even want to go:runaway:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I sold my collection when I was 47 to help underwrite another three years at school. I was asking what I considered top dollar, and almost felt guilty taking their money. Of course I was remembering what I had paid for them in the 70's and 80's.

Fast forward 5 years, finished school, back in the states and went to replace some of what I sold. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise. The sale prices I felt were really high will not even buy junky ones 5 years later.

I predict that whatever price you can get for a gun now, will not be able to buy one back in another 5 years.

When I started, even a humble Mossberg 500 pump gun was $149, any week of the day at any retailer. Kmart would put them on sale for $129. (I was so broke I bought a used one for $60) What are they now? I think today's price will look like a bargain in a few years.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Turned 60 this year. Collecting is slowing down. Couple things I may still grab is a nice Luger and a Liberator. At 70 I'm selling most all of it. Keep my AK, shotgun, couple ARs, SP5 & few handguns. Hand out couple to the boys and cash out. I can't leave my wife to sort that out. Like many here the safe has things I never had time to shoot. The hunt has always been the fun deep down anyway.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Turned 60 this year. Collecting is slowing down. Couple things I may still grab is a nice Luger and a Liberator. At 70 I'm selling most all of it. Keep my AK, shotgun, couple ARs, SP5 & few handguns. Hand out couple to the boys and cash out. I can't leave my wife to sort that out. Like many here the safe has things I never had time to shoot. The hunt has always been the fun deep down anyway.
    My kids don’t have much interest in firearms so I will probably cash out so my doesn’t have to deal with it. I’ll keep one or two until the end.

johny5

not a shill account
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 3, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My kids don’t have much interest in firearms so I will probably cash out so my doesn’t have to deal with it. I’ll keep one or two until the end.
    My grandfather (passed away, now) sold "all" is guns at auction when he moved into the retirement home. As we were clearing out his place after he died, years later, we found 2 pistols and a shotty had had squirreled away. One of the many reasons this old man is my hero!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Turned 69, got my first gun for christmas at age 10(Sears single shot 22), anyway went to the Salem gun show this weekend and realized there was nothing I wanted to buy. Ended up buying some silver coins. I already have most of the classics, Python, SAA, rem 700, browning A5, an AR, several European classic sxs`s, lots of .22`s, a few mil surplus, etc. So I have more then I can shoot, but its more of an end of life decision to enjoy what I already have. Have any of you older retired guys come to the same conclusion? or are you still accumulating?
    70, still working, still find something interesting. Recently picked up some shotguns to restore as an addition to the hobby.

Top Bottom