• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I retired 18 months ago with the idea I’d be out shooting and collecting more and more firearms. Lately I’m having a discussion with myself about collecting. Sure I have lots of surplus rifles, modern rifles, lever actions and numerous handguns. I’m thinking of whittling down a bit but I hit a wall. Every time I’ve sold off say a classic S&W revolver I regret it. (Although I still have a bunch.) Same goes with a surplus rifle. Then I think, hold fast and don’t whittle down any more and really enjoy shooting more.
    How many of you have had this metaphysical discussion with yourself? :runaway:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I retired 18 months ago with the idea I’d be out shooting and collecting more and more firearms. Lately I’m having a discussion with myself about collecting. Sure I have lots of surplus rifles, modern rifles, lever actions and numerous handguns. I’m thinking of whittling down a bit but I hit a wall. Every time I’ve sold off say a classic S&W revolver I regret it. (Although I still have a bunch.) Same goes with a surplus rifle. Then I think, hold fast and don’t whittle down any more and really enjoy shooting more.
    I tried, I tried really hard Ben. I'm sorry for lying baby Jesus. For today, I bought another Sig Sauer P220 pistol.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    5 months from 75. Just bought my last 2 weeks ago. Can't think of anything down the road, but you never know. Never been one to sell or trade, once I have I keep. Only traded once and that was a 22LR Taurus for a 22Mag Taurus and actually the wife's. Never say Never is the way to go.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    At 51, I still have 15+ years to go. I'm thinking I want to set a goal of having at least 1 gun of every handgun caliber, and a small handful of rifle calibers before I retire. Seems like a reasonable goal to me. lol

Reactions: Leo

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yes, I have had those discussions over the years. The difference for me is I am naturally a minimalist type person so it's a little easier to own the few that I have.

Outside of that, finances play a secondary (and big) role in my decision to stop buying firearms. I have also stopped buying pretty much anything that isn't needed for the managing of my life in retirement.

That said, if I won the lottery, I still wouldn't be buying any more firearms.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Turned 69, got my first gun for christmas at age 10(Sears single shot 22), anyway went to the Salem gun show this weekend and realized there was nothing I wanted to buy. Ended up buying some silver coins. I already have most of the classics, Python, SAA, rem 700, browning A5, an AR, several European classic sxs`s, lots of .22`s, a few mil surplus, etc. So I have more then I can shoot, but its more of an end of life decision to enjoy what I already have. Have any of you older retired guys come to the same conclusion? or are you still accumulating?
    In my early 60s and I am at the point where I am more likely to get rid of guns instead of buying them. Can't see open sights well at all and have guns just sitting around that won't be fired anytime soon. I even made a resolution of sorts to NOT buy any guns in 2024 but to upgrade the ones that I thought about doing to some for many years , like my Savage varmint rifle. Finally ordered a new barrel for it .

Some of the guns I bought in the last few years have been disappointments which also lessens my enthusiasm for new guns in general. But I am sure before the year ends I will give in and end up buying or trading for something "I didn't realize I needed!" Seen one in the classifieds here that keeps tempting me!

wisboy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2024
    Crown Point 46307
    Nearing the end of my 8th decade....still working , shooting, hunting ,accumulating.

Have FFL ...love having firearms delivered to the house.

Check in tomorrows mail for new shooter.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I tried, I tried really hard Ben. I'm sorry for lying baby Jesus. For today, I bought another Sig Sauer P220 pistol.
    This whole “thing” with firearms is, in fact, an addiction! No 12 point program can save us. I guess I’ll have to start looking for another piece of hardware! LOL! :runaway:

BP84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2024
    Sunman
    Turned 69, got my first gun for christmas at age 10(Sears single shot 22), anyway went to the Salem gun show this weekend and realized there was nothing I wanted to buy. Ended up buying some silver coins. I already have most of the classics, Python, SAA, rem 700, browning A5, an AR, several European classic sxs`s, lots of .22`s, a few mil surplus, etc. So I have more then I can shoot, but its more of an end of life decision to enjoy what I already have. Have any of you older retired guys come to the same conclusion? or are you still accumulating?
    Will you be my Dad or Grandpa?

Z-Biscuit

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2021
    Whiteland
    Every grandchild means another gun I have to buy to pass down one day. As long as new grand kids are coming I'm still buying. All my kids love to shoot. They can't afford it so at least I can help and pass them down guns to practice and learn to defend themselves with.

Batchief909

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2016
    Mooresville
    I'm retired and 67 years old. I've acquired 5 firearms in the past year. Two of those were in the past 3 weeks, so apparently I'm not done yet. Hmmmmm...never really thought about it.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    71 here & been retired since 2019 & thought I'd scale back after retirement, getting back to my previous, "maximum" number of guns.
    Didn't happen, although I did sell most of the range 9mm/38 sp/.357 magnum handguns b/c of ammo costs.
    Really been working at lowering "the maximum," for the past 2 yrs.
    I continue to fail in that regard and have actually exceeded my "maximum" of 2 yrs ago. :facepalm:

Indulged in some "bucket list" guns this past year.
    I only have 3 guns I bought before 2020, so obviously I enjoy "updating." :coffee:
    Half my guns have been bought since 2023. :dunno:
    Sounds like I'm due for a family, "intervention," haha! :laugh:

In continuing my hypocrisy, I just bought my most expensive gun, so obviously I'm just talking-the-talk & unwilling to walk-the-walk. :lmfao:

On the event of my untimely death, I have Zackcz lined up to sell everything & take his %, so the wife doesn't have to mess with it.
    I have done that before with a parent of one of my teacher friends & have met people here on INGO that were doing the same for someone, usually the wife, the surviving spouse.
    Hopefully though, I will slow down slowly & be able to enjoy selling off my wares when the time approaches. :fogey:

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Life changes and circumstances change. I'm 45 this year and feel like my gun journey is coming to an end. Things have gotten to be so expensive that it's not fun anymore. I keep consolidating each year. Thinking of one last sell off and keeping a shotgun around for hunting and that's it. Won't be acquiring unless there is a specific need.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My dad served with an M1. He always wanted one like he served with. I'd like to have one for him since he is gone. I just never had the money for one when I found a decent deal. Maybe the stars will align someday.
    I did get two Ruger no. 1s that I always wanted. Too many lever guns.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Life changes and circumstances change. I'm 45 this year and feel like my gun journey is coming to an end. Things have gotten to be so expensive that it's not fun anymore. I keep consolidating each year. Thinking of one last sell off and keeping a shotgun around for hunting and that's it. Won't be acquiring unless there is a specific need.
    I agree with you on the cost of firearms. I bought two of my pistols for under $400. They are both selling now for over $400 and over $500.

It seems like everything I had looked at in the recent past was north of $500. For me, that is a lot of money to spend on something that sits in the safe most of the time and just makes it harder for me to decide what to take to the range to shoot.

As it is, I still take 3-4 guns to every range session. And that is too many for me. I'd rather just take one, lol.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In addition to guns, I really like guitars. Having worked side jobs at several shops, I run into good deals. Maybe a guy is hard up for cash or got it when his dad died. Maybe it needs a minor repair that I can easily do. Some never get picked up after a repair. I have bought and sold many through the years and made a few bucks on the flips.

The trouble is that I still find deals, take them home and play with them, but I never seem to get around to selling them lately.

Now I have heard about a great deal on mint condition Pigeon Grade Model 12, as if I need another safe queen shotgun that I will never get around to selling. I need to hide my wallet from myself.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I agree with you on the cost of firearms. I bought two of my pistols for under $400. They are both selling now for over $400 and over $500.

It seems like everything I had looked at in the recent past was north of $500. For me, that is a lot of money to spend on something that sits in the safe most of the time and just makes it harder for me to decide what to take to the range to shoot.

As it is, I still take 3-4 guns to every range session. And that is too many for me. I'd rather just take one, lol.
    Yes all the guns I bought increased in price. Gave me yet another reason to cash out.

I too was lugging all kinds of stuff to the range. Makes more cleaning and more work handloading.

With the cost of everything these days.....I got to be done.

Top Bottom