• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    After 4 contractors wouldn't do it...

Here's the story,... I hired a roofing contractor who happened to show up early. He and his crew of one started hauling up bundles of shingles for the huge 10 square job :rolleyes:. They got about half of the bundles up and had to go get a "T" adapter so they could run both guns off one compressor.

They said they wouldn't be long as they were very close... 2 hours later they showed back up and said they needed to get some cash from a job they did last week.

I told them to do what they needed to do,... Well, that must have meant not coming back. I didn't hear from them again. I called and left messages, but didn't hear another word. I'm glad I didn't pay them anything.

The last message I left with them was to return my call by a certain time or I would find someone else to roof my addition. They didn't return my call so I started calling other contractors. After 3 contractors turned me down, I did the unspeakable,... I hired Mexicans!...

Guess what? Instead of me begging for someone to do work for me,... they begged to do work for me. It was such a change of pace. I'll have to say it was intimidating to have the car mobbed with everyone hungry for work but it was a very welcome contrast to the contractors who made me feel like second class.

My biggest fear was not being able to communicate. But, amazingly, they all spoke very good English. Enough that I got a roofing crew (of two), which is all I needed.

I was hoping they had transportation but they didn't. So I told them to get in (to my Impala SS), which they did. I noticed they had no water and no food but were content with going with anyone to earn some money.

I drove them to my house over 30 minutes away. They got to work in a hurry and finished the job promptly. There was minimal instruction involved.

I would of felt bad if I didn't offer them food or water so I provided them plenty of water and grilled them burgers for lunch.

The trouble started when they asked for hot sauce with their burgers. I told them I had some but it was very hot and not very easy to swallow...

They disregarded the Gringo advice,... They did not feel well after disregarding the Gringo advice. They were on fire. They said "fuego"... whatever that means. They asked what the hot sauce was and I said, Bhut Jalokia pepper aka Ghost Pepper/aka Naga Jalokia.

They were very humbled by the pepper. But they finished the job after lunch and 14 glasses of water. I also gave them a few beers after they were done.

It all worked out very well and I can't complain. I will say that I am more inclined to hire Mexican's before even trying to get contractors because I like being sought after,... instead of trying to seek for workers.

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    When my parents got their roof done, we hired Amish to come down and do ours. My family owns a construction company in Cleveland, and all their roofing jobs are sub-contracted out to these Amish guys.

Four guys, two days to rip off and put on a roof on a nearly 4800 square foot house. It was amazing how they worked.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    I hire anyone willing to give honest work for honest pay, I do not care where they are from, however I do wish them to be in the U.S legally!

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    You probly hired criminals to roof your house and your bragging? Nice. I think that's illegal too.

They probably were illegals. But when you talk to 4 contractors that don't really feel like working on your roof what do you do? I bet they worked hard and did quality work. American businesses are screwing themselves when they do horrible work/no work because you can have guys hop in your car with just the tools in their bags and do a better job, cheaper, in almost less time.

Do I like the fact they may have been illegal? No. But does the average person want to spend X amount of days getting someone to actually do work on their roof and then have that crew screw around? Nope.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Just had my roof done two weeks ago. A white contractor with 6 Mexicans showed up and tore off the old roof on the house and workshop. House was finished the first day and the second day just one showed up to do the shop. It was 37 squares in all, 26 for the house and 11 for the shop. They were nice and spoke English when they had to. I treated them just like I would have anyone else making sure they had enough water and supplying Cokes. They did an excellent job and worked extremely hard in the GA heat and humidity.

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    They probably were illegals. But when you talk to 4 contractors that don't really feel like working on your roof what do you do? I bet they worked hard and did quality work. American businesses are screwing themselves when they do horrible work/no work because you can have guys hop in your car with just the tools in their bags and do a better job, cheaper, in almost less time.

Do I like the fact they may have been illegal? No. But does the average person want to spend X amount of days getting someone to actually do work on their roof and then have that crew screw around? Nope.

That's exactly where I was... I needed a roof. I felt like I was begging to get it done. Does that make me a criminal because I caused it get done? After this experience, I feel like some Mexican's deserve to be here more that some American's do. It's a shame but it's true...

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    I hire anyone willing to give honest work for honest pay, I do not care where they are from, however I do wish them to be in the U.S legally!

Wish in one hand, crap in the other,.. Tell me which one fills up first.

My roof got done when I needed and I have no regrets...

If anyone need to know where to hire anyone, PM me.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have had a similar frustrating experience trying to get a tree cut out of my yard. It is only about 15 feet tall. If I had a truck and somewhere to hall it, I would cut it down with a sawsall. Three places never even showed up to look at it, One guy that showed up wanting me to buy a new tree from him, but I do not want a tree there, that is why I want this one cut down, so he never called back. One guy came out and I hired him but he never showed and does not return the calls, so I hired another guy that will return the calls, but does not show up. The last guy was quite a bit cheaper than the first, but I told him I would pay him the higher price if he could get it right away. The tree still stands. I never thought I would be begging a contractor to charge me.

I was a contractor when the economy was booming, and I never neglected a customer.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If we could get local guys to do half the job the Mexicans do we wouldn't have a problem with illegal immigration. They wouldn't have any job positions to fill!

There are plenty of good contractors and technicians out there who are great at their jobs, but there are equally as many who just lower the bar.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Wish in one hand, crap in the other,.. Tell me which one fills up first.

My roof got done when I needed and I have no regrets...

If anyone need to know where to hire anyone, PM me.

It is not a wish or crap proposition for me, I have my standards. I can roof it myself before I compromise my convictions!

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    If we could get local guys to do half the job the Mexicans do we wouldn't have a problem with illegal immigration. They wouldn't have any job positions to fill!

There are plenty of good contractors and technicians out there who are great at their jobs, but there are equally as many who just lower the bar.

That's capitalism at it's finest. Are people going to start coming around and taking on the work that's presented to them, or are the going to keep waiting for the "Big Break" so they only have big jobs and big money in front of them???

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I guess you must have been looking for the lowest bid contractor too? So you got what you were willing to pay for, crap. I'm not saying the work ethic of the illegals isn't there but by having to show them what to do you compromised your quality of a roof job too it seems like. Ill stick to hiring legal workers. I don't care their nationality as long as they are legal and do good work.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    Apropos of nothing, the comments here remind me of a video running around the web a few years ago of the guy who went to a Lowe's and told a bunch of laborers to hop into his truck. He drove around all crazy, slamming over speed bumps and swerving around, until he drove directly into the closest ICE office and started screaming "¡Migra!"

All the guys in the back scattered as soon as they realized where they were. He was kind of a jerkass.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Apropos of nothing, the comments here remind me of a video running around the web a few years ago of the guy who went to a Lowe's and told a bunch of laborers to hop into his truck. He drove around all crazy, slamming over speed bumps and swerving around, until he drove directly into the closest ICE office and started screaming "¡Migra!"

All the guys in the back scattered as soon as they realized where they were. He was kind of a jerkass.

That was done by a Jewish comedian, and called "American Racist." To this day that was one of funniest things I ever saw. In one clip he goes to a black owned dry cleaning service, and tries to get them to wash "his" Klan robes. The interaction between the two is comedy gold. How that guy didnt get beat up is one of life's great mysteries. I don't care what color you are that **** was funny.

bosaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2013
    I guess you must have been looking for the lowest bid contractor too? So you got what you were willing to pay for, crap. I'm not saying the work ethic of the illegals isn't there but by having to show them what to do you compromised your quality of a roof job too it seems like. Ill stick to hiring legal workers. I don't care their nationality as long as they are legal and do good work.

Well, I got sick of hiring someone who wouldn't do the work, and the bid wasn't what I was after. The contractors I hired wanted less than the Mexican's. And I didn't have to show them what to do. They had it under control, but I was fortunate enough to be able to spectate their work (which I found was more than spectacular).

I have roofed before, and that's why I decided to hire this job out. It was just something that I did not want to do. Two of the contractors who wouldn't do it wanted $250 for a 10 square job. The other two contractors who wouldn't do it wanted $350, and $400 respectively for the same job.

The Mexican's I hired did it for $300 and I even gave them a tip for a total of $340 because they not only did the job, but they did it well, and when I wanted it done.

Do I care about their nationality,...? Nope, not really, not after 4 contractors blew me off...

Were they legal, or were they not?*** I don't know, and I don't remember, nor do I care. I have a roof now...

Top Bottom