I hope they restrict crossbows next hunting season.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Not sure how that is possible since crossbows came several hundred years before the gun.

Crossbows date back to the 4th century BC in China. Firearms the 12th century AD. 1600 year difference. BTW - Compound bows came into existance in the early 1970s..

Crossbows do not have gun stocks. Guns have crossbow stocks..

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Not sure how that is possible since crossbows came several hundred years before the gun.

Crossbows date back to the 4th century BC in China. Firearms the 12th century AD. 1600 year difference. BTW - Compound bows came into existance in the early 1970s..

Crossbows do not have gun stocks. Guns have crossbow stocks..

And longbow, recurve bows were before "crossbows". The term "crossbow" is misleading. It is archery season not things propelled by a string season . Archery is the use of a bow projecting arrows. Crossbows fire bolts. I don't care what you call it, "crossbows" are not bows.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    And longbow, recurve bows were before "crossbows". The term "crossbow" is misleading. It is archery season not things propelled by a string season . Archery is the use of a bow projecting arrows. Crossbows fire bolts. I don't care what you call it, "crossbows" are not bows.

Some crossbows fire bolts, bolts are generally short all metal objects..
    modern crossbows fire arrows.. they might be shorter than some people use but it is the same thing..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    And longbow, recurve bows were before "crossbows".

Yep... How many modern archers use longbows and recurves to hunt with today? 5% of the total?

The term "crossbow" is misleading.

How so?

It is archery season not things propelled by a string season .

Crossbows are defined as archery by most people and organizations that count. The only ones that don't are ones that are inorant of the facts or have their own agendas to keep crossbows out of the archery season.

Archery is the use of a bow projecting arrows. Crossbows fire bolts.

Symantics for sure. As singlestacksig points out what we use in modern crossbows are arrows, not bolts. My first foray into crossbows I cut down aluminun 2213s that I used for 3D with my vertical bow and installed inserts instead of nocks. They looked like 20" overdraw arrows

I don't care what you call it, "crossbows" are not bows.

Tell us why you think that.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Willie stop the bull**** you know just as well as everyone else that it has to do with money. You cannot deny that crossbows being added to archery season was for more money. It's always about the money.

My...no need to get nasty about it. Can you discuss this civilly or not?

Please provide proof that the adoption of crossbows in the early archery seasons was "about money".

IMHO - it was about recruiting younger hunters/women and retaining older bowhunters. If we don't recruit hunters, hunting dies a slow death.The DNR is also under the gun (no pun) to reduce the herd in some areas..

The crossbow is a tool that can help in all sitations..

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think we should just outlaw everything except sticks and rocks. That will teach all you folks that like to use this new-fangled technology like bows... I don't even know what a cross-bow is... and what's a gun? Rocks & sticks... that's what I say...

Ok, on a serious note, where do you draw the line? IMHO, at this point anything that gets more new people interested in hunting is worth a shot. I'm sure a good number of people that invest in crossbows will eventually see how challenging archery is and go for a compound bow etc.

Just because you think it's "unfair" or "not right" doesn't make you the judge. Personally, I don't care what anybody uses. If they are doing it on your land then you can make the rules as to what they use. If they aren't on your land then WHY DO YOU CARE?

The way I see it you've chosen to challenge yourself to hunt with archery. If you don't like that much of a challenge then get a crossbow. If it's not about the challenge and you just think it's unfair then get a crossbow... Most importantly though, if they aren't doing it on your land then why do you care? If they are doing it on your land you have the right to control it by telling them they can only bow hunt on your land if they don't use cross-bows. Problem is now solved.

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Well if it recruits new members and makes things easier, lets legalize this stuff and similar.
    cmere-deer-powder_600-500x500.jpg

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Employing strawman arguments and drawing false parallels between baits and modern weapons doesn't do anything to help your argument against change, Hookeye...

Stamping of feet and gnashing of teeth because people have the audacity to want to do things better/easier/different than I choose to...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    The only way I could go in the field during bow season would be with a crossbow. This is due to a shoulder injury. This fact never really hit me until the other day at work. We were talking deer hunting and things and when bows came up I made that comment. In my mind I can't safely and effectively pull my bow and it hurts.

The idea is not overly appealing to me and I have yet to cross that line but it sits in the back of my mind to buy a crossbow.

The simple fact is crossbows allow more more people to get in the woods than bows. More people hunting more often, killing more deer and yes more money too. It takes away from the quiet time of bow season but it allows more people to hunt. Which is best? Which is right? Is either wrong?

The truth is, the country is overpopulated, too damn many people in it. It is not the same out in the woods and fields as it was 30-50 years ago.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    if the deer population is so large that they can have an archery season from Oct. 1 to the end of the year, there is no reason to not allow people to hunt with a crossbow..

adding crossbows was not about $$ , many people went in person to the DNR hearings about allowing crossbows and spoke in favor of allowing them..

a few people from bow hunter lobbies spoke against crossbows, and made wild accusations about how unfair they are, he stated that a crossbow can fire a bolt at 1100 FPS .....

the people of Indiana want to use them. If you are a drawn bow hunter, great, go get some deer.. Indiana has plenty of them.. if you are not having any luck it is something you are doing, and not what other hunters are doing...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm not against change (talk about strawman yeeesh). I don't like X bows for general usage.
    I think the blood sport noble enough to require more practice/skill.
    Am not a fan of immediate gratification culture, don't think there's anything wrong with working towards a goal, that taking maybe some time.
    In fact I think it a better way to raise a kid...........but in today's Obama is a Saint pop culture it might be too much to ask for.

I think people should earn the right to hunt, not simply go to the store and just buy it.

Always thought of archery season as a bonus type of thing, for having done some work.

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I'm not against change (talk about strawman yeeesh). I don't like X bows for general usage.
    I think the blood sport noble enough to require practice/skill.
    Am not a fan of immediate gratification culture, don't think there's anything wrong with working towards a goal, that taking maybe some time.
    In fact I think it a better way to raise a kid...........but in today's Obama is a Saint pop culture it might be too much to ask for.

I think people should earn the right to hunt, not go to the store and just buy it.

Oh Lordy... First the bait strawman and now an Obama strawman. Its a liberal plot I tell you.. :rolleyes:

The beauty of archery hunting is that you can make it about as easy as you can or as tough as you can. Your choice...as the ONLY person we have to satify is ourselves...

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    ...........Always thought of archery season as a bonus type of thing, for having done some work.

You editted your post when I posted.

Just how much "work" is involved in learning to use a compound bow and staying fairly proficient at it?

Most "bowhunters" hang up their bow at the end of the season and don't pick it up again until a week or two before the next season. They usually shoot enough to say," yep, it is still on" and go deer hunting. Shooting a compound is like riding a bicycle. You might get a little rusty, but you don't forget how.

There are no "practice police" making sure everyone "works" at earning that "bonus type of thing".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Agree, that too many people don't have any "practice police" in their own conscience.
    No wonder X bows are popular.

Popular doesn't always mean good.

I think the acceptance/legalization of X bows for general usage to be evidence of our hunting and general culture erosion.

And the Obama thing fits, as somebody mentioned I was against change and that campaign was all about "change".
    Change can be a good thing, but not all change is good (even if a certain campaign suggested it in their mantra).

Last edited:

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    For us, who have shot for years, it is like riding a bicycle. We are not the average bowhunter.

Poooeeeyyy!

One does not have to "shoot for years" to adequatley master a compound well enough to blow off cobwebs in a matter of weeks, if not days.

BTDT many, many times....

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Agree, that too many people don't have any "practice police" in their own conscience.
    No wonder X bows are popular.

Same could be said for compound bows too, right?

Popular doesn't always mean good.

Popular means accepted by the majority..which is what compounds and crossbows are.

I think the acceptance/legalization of X bows for general usage to be evidence of our hunting and general culture erosion.

LOL... sure.... were you around in the early 70s? You must have thrown a hissy fit when those wheeled contrations showed up in the deer woods.

And the Obama thing fits, as somebody mentioned I was against change and that campaign was all about "change".
    Change can be a good thing, but not all change is good (even if a certain campaign suggested it in their mantra).

Only in your mind does it fit..or are you just a Luddite?

Top Bottom