i just shot a 2200 dollar scope with a 12 ga (video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    That was a professional grade video, nice! That is also the type scope I would need if my brother ever borrowed a scope from me. Everything he borrows comes back like it went though the same test you did in the first video.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i will say i had never looked threw a swarovski before this. now i own one and am going to try and get another.

ive looked threw uso, nf, and leupold. none of them rivials swarovski clarity and light gathering. it also tracks just as well as my nf.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    post up if you watch the video im curious as to how much interest there is in this sort of thing

I think there will always be interest in "torture tests", especially when it comes to guns and outdoor gear. :yesway:

A few critiques of the videos, if I may.

The first test seemed a bit 'weak', by simply dragging it through a grassy field. IMO, if the scope doesn't look beat up on the outside, then its a pretty safe bet that it didn't get beat up enough to come close to affecting the insides. If the scope looked like hell, but still maintained zero, I'd be really impressed. Dragging it on concrete, gravel, or other hard materials, or dropping it from various heights, would've made for a bigger impression.

I'm still a bit confused on the second video. Did he actually shoot the scope itself? Or did he just hit the shaving cream and it exploded all over the scope? If he had actually shot the scope, wouldn't there be some sign of it on the scope body? :dunno:

Although the videos had some spots that lagged, I understand the merit of having a single shot without any cuts. I appreciated that you guys looked like you had things lined up and ready to go to keep things moving along. :yesway:

I say keep up the good work, and find more gear to torture. :D

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I think there will always be interest in "torture tests", especially when it comes to guns and outdoor gear. :yesway:

A few critiques of the videos, if I may.

The first test seemed a bit 'weak', by simply dragging it through a grassy field. IMO, if the scope doesn't look beat up on the outside, then its a pretty safe bet that it didn't get beat up enough to come close to affecting the insides. If the scope looked like hell, but still maintained zero, I'd be really impressed. Dragging it on concrete, gravel, or other hard materials, or dropping it from various heights, would've made for a bigger impression.

I'm still a bit confused on the second video. Did he actually shoot the scope itself? Or did he just hit the shaving cream and it exploded all over the scope? If he had actually shot the scope, wouldn't there be some sign of it on the scope body? :dunno:

Although the videos had some spots that lagged, I understand the merit of having a single shot without any cuts. I appreciated that you guys looked like you had things lined up and ready to go to keep things moving along. :yesway:

I say keep up the good work, and find more gear to torture. :D

i defintally appriciate the critiquing (spelling) we put shaving cream on each side of the scope and shot it with the 12 ga. we only used the shaving cream to shot we hit the scope dead center and not on the edge of the pattern. be figure if both shaving cream cans blow it shows we hit it in the center of the pattern.

ive watched alot of these videos and to me the maiin thing they were lacking was the videos had cut outs where you could possibably switch out the scopes. it was extreamly hard to do it all in one take but i think it adds validity to the test. keeping the video short enough to keep everyones attention but showing everything was the trick

the scope looks pretty bad. its getting ready for shot show (if you go you can see it there) but i called and got some pics of the scope. i actually had to dig pellets out of the zoom ring.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    pics of the scope taken today

GEDC0611.jpg

GEDC0612.jpg

GEDC0613.jpg

GEDC0616.jpg

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    we only used the shaving cream to shot we hit the scope dead center and not on the edge of the pattern.

Well then it looks like there was some confusion on my part, as I thought he said he was shooting slugs. This makes more sense. :D

got some pics of the scope. i actually had to dig pellets out of the zoom ring.

Pictures like that will certainly help with the "wow" factor! :yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Now here is the extreamly impressive part

You folks are seeing this once on each video. We did not get this right the first time we tried and to produce the shotgun video we actually had to shoot the scope multiple times to get the take we wanted. If memory serves me we shot it with the shotgun 4 or 5 times.

We threw the scope in the pond and drug it 5 or 6 times. We had no issues with the scope but the mud made the remount difficult and was taking to long. We wanted both videos under 4 minutes 30 seconds.

Last edited:

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most big game hunts are expensive, a quality scope is money well spent. That was a very impressive test. I doubt if 90% of brands of scopes would have held up that well.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    high end glass is not for everyone. some just dont have a use for it. imo they are really money well spent for the serious shooter. the average rifle may only get 200 rounds threw it in its life. that equates to 10 bucks a round. on rifles that get 8000 rounds threw them in there life thats 25 cents a round.

i get alot of people who say why would you pay x for a rifle setup. my logic to them is you just put 600 bucks in a setup that will be shot 300 times in its life. thats 2 bucks a round. ya i put 5000 in that setup but after i put 5000 rounds threw it my per round cost is alot less than yours.

and remember high end glass can go from rifle to rifle and last your and your kids lifetime and never give out

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great test, AAR, and general explanation. I've learned to never question why anyone pays a certain price for something they own. I never thought I would pay (blank) for a ring for my wife or (blank) for a firearm. I know that one day, I will purchase some real glass and cherish it. By cherish it, I mean no shotgun being fired at it! :laugh:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    $2200 for a scope definatly not something I would buy but I guess it works for some and really cool to watch very durable.
    While I agree with you nearly 100% ( you can find a bank owned home for the same price) a piece of glass like this is also a good investment. It will not loose it's value( unless you shoot it with a shotty) and will last several lifetimes if taken care of.

Top Bottom