i just shot a 2200 dollar scope with a 12 ga (video)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Fantastic videos. I wonder how much of a beating the scope can take

we have ask ourselves the same thing. obviously we dont know for sure. i think we may do some more testing on it this summer. the videos to date are kept in the realm of possibility. not that you would shoot your scope with a 12ga but a hard impact (mabye not that hard) can happen in the real world. you could be on a big game hunt somewhere and drop your gun off a mountain, and you want to know your scope will fuction when you go pick it up. i think to break this scope we will have to leave the realm of possibility and run it over with a m1 tank or sumthing absolutly crazy like that.

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    If i had 2200 bucks to spend on a scope id get it but i dont. on the other hand what qd mount did you use cause i want it!!!!

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    That was real neat..thanks for the post...by the way, don't ask to borrow any scopes from me:)::):

I think a couple of interesting alternatives tests would be to mount the scope on a mocked up gun...then drop it from 3 feet and let in roll down a rcoky slope for a few feet....and mount to a mock up and drop it 15 feet from a tree stand...both of these would simulate some real life exposures...

Thanks again...nice job:yesway:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    That was real neat..thanks for the post...by the way, don't ask to borrow any scopes from me:)::):

I think a couple of interesting alternatives tests would be to mount the scope on a mocked up gun...then drop it from 3 feet and let in roll down a rcoky slope for a few feet....and mount to a mock up and drop it 15 feet from a tree stand...both of these would simulate some real life exposures...

Thanks again...nice job:yesway:

we thought about that but we wanted to show the scope would not loose zero durring impact and that could not be proven on a mock up rifle.

basically we were testing impact. i really dont think any drop will simulate the impact of a 12 ga or dragging it behind a atv. this video was dealing with worse than worst case scenarios.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Yeah, but will it pass the AR15.com "Throw it down the driveway test?" ;)

For those not familiar with the inside joke there, that is a common recommendation over on ARFCOM when somebody posts pictures of a very clean, unmolested rifle. A lot of fella's overthere like the "used" look with a little wear on the sharp edges, etc.

So, maybe you could throw the scope down the driveway, since I'm sure more than one guy has tried it!

awittmer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    Batesville
    Excellent Review! You have me talked into one! Now its just time to start saving!:( Look forward to seeing more of your reviews in the future!
    Keep up the great work!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Excellent Review! You have me talked into one! Now its just time to start saving!:( Look forward to seeing more of your reviews in the future!
    Keep up the great work!

thanks we are working on a couple more videos but it will probably be summer before they are released. more goes into a 5 minute video than i ever imagined

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'm going to buy one tomorrow... Provided the MegaMillions drawing goes my way tonight...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    i think we may do some more testing on it this summer.......... think to break this scope we will have to leave the realm of possibility.
    Gators in pond, wrap in meat. You retrieve it from the gator and use a knife donated by a site advertiser (secondary gear review here).

Instead of shaving cream, bottles of tannerite.

Finally, coat it with peanut butter and let lose a pack of Beagles. Then back the truck over it.

Hire Sasquatch from the Jerky commercials too.

All real world tests but the good thing is it keeps you off the streets and your parents know where you are. Anyone else ever test a scope by shooting it? I have never seen it done. $2k for a scope is a lot less then the cost of a failed hunt of a lifetime.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Anyone else ever test a scope by shooting it?

i believe we are the first. we are defintally the first im aware of be were just brain storming and said "what could show alot of impact" and the 12ga was our first thought.

we had considered the tanerite but by the time we thought of it we were scheduled to film the next day and didn't have time to order it.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    That was a professional grade video, nice! That is also the type scope I would need if my brother ever borrowed a scope from me. Everything he borrows comes back like it went though the same test you did in the first video.

I didn't know my brother was on INGO!
    Which one of my brothers are you? The dumb one or the ugly one?

Top Bottom