• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I cannot express how this news devastates him, and with his memory loss every time he hears it he is hurt all over again.

That would be extremely difficult. Dealing with that fresh pain over and over again.

I realized tonight that we never realize how important our last conversation was with someone - until we realize it was the last conversation.

Very true words.

Condolences to you and your family.

markholst

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 21, 2016
    Russiaville
    Prayers Doug.

It is horrible making end of life decisions. I had to do that for my Dad about five years ago.

I can't imagine how painful it is for you having to watch your Dad's heart break repeatedly. You have my sympathies.

Hang in there Brother,
    Mark

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Very tired, but sleep is hard.

Mother was moved to hospice Parkview on Randallia. I went over alone around 10:15PM to see the room and check on her. She was lying there peacefully sleeping. She looked like you could just wake her up, but I know that isn't happening.

I'll take my sister and father over tomorrow morning, unless we get the phone call. Then sooner.

If we were purely thinking creatures these things wouldn't hurt. Our minds would process facts with cold logic. But we're not. We are emotional. We feel pain as we feel love and compassion. When I consider all of the love and joy and happiness my mother has brought me over the many years this pain is a very small price to pay. In this moment it hurts, yet thinking back on the love and laughs it is far outweighed and a small price to pay for all the love I have felt.

Regards,

Doug

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I know what you are going through, Doug, and feel for you. Thoughts and prayers from a fellow Fort Wayne-ian.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My mother is resting comfortably in hospice. She is in no pain, thank God.

There is normally a limit of two (2) visitors, but as it is only my father, sister, and myself I pushed for three (3) and they acquiesced. Damn plague rules that I even had to push, but Okay, at least I got what I want.

With a close relative dying there are two (2) levels of hardship. The first is the tremendous emotional and spiritual havoc it causes. This is natural.

But the second is man-made, it is the legal headaches to go through. I am going to need either myself or my sister to have power of attorney now over my father as his memory issue is severe. We are going to need ot go around and transfer funds, titles, deeds, etc all from my mothers name to my fathers. There isn't a lot but it is still going to be a pain.

My father thinks he paid all the bills but he didn't, my mother paid the utilities. So we're going to have to try to set up everything on automatic bank deduction for him, but first that will mean getting access to his accounts, setting up passwords, etc. Doable, but more hoops.

People at the hospital and elsewhere have been listening to me which is nice, but I have NO legal authority to authorize or push things. So far this isn't a problem as our whole family is on the same page with mothers care. I worry about what may happen if my father pushes back on anything. It may not happen but I cannot help myself from worrying. Fortunately he will listen to my sister on some things over me, so that is fine.

I found my mothers Will, so that will help with a few things. We'll go over the rest over time and as the situation dictates.

You have all been very kind and supportive with your comforting words, so thank you to all. Just being able to share helps relieve some stress.

The funny thing is one of my biggest problems I need help with is my parents stupid "smart" television. I spent two (2) hours trying to figure out how to have it automatically go to the cable input but never succeeded. They have to use both the cable remote and the TV remote. This was fine when my mother was here but my father CANNOT remember to use the TV remote. I have friends that are going to try to help out and see what they can do. Modern technology offers too many damn choices sometimes. We HAVE to solve this problem somehow OR buy a new TV. I'm just afraid that they're all the same or very similar.

It's amazing what can cause issues.

Sincerely,

Doug

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    First of all, I'm sorry for what you are going through. I lost my father several years ago after a stroke and then liver cancer. But he was never the same after the stroke.

As far as the TV. First, Roku is a network connected device that allows you to connect to streaming services such as Hulu, netflix, youtube, etc. I have them connected to my TVs as we have moved totally to streaming. I found the manual for the TV and have been reviewing it. It doesn't offer any help and only shows that all inputs are controlled through the Roku "home" screen. On my standalone devices it always goes to this home screen when it powers on, and there isn't an option to default to a specific app. However, I started looking into the Roku TV support areas, and it seems the the Roku TV Operating System has an option to default to a specific input or app when the TV is powered on. from https://www.whattowatch.com/how-to/how-change-default-input-roku-tv

From the Roku home screen, go into the Settings menu.
    Now enter the "System" menu.
    Choose Power, and then Power On.
    Choose the input you want to be the default when the TV turns on.

Besides that, you may have to program the cable box remote to control the TV power and volume.

Hope this helps and eases some of what you are going through.
    Rick

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a Roku TV. You don't have to sign up for anything, they have free accounts, it serves as kind of a aggregator of video services. I mostly access Prime Video with it.

When I had a problem setting up my TV, I called Roku's help line, and they were reasonably helpful. I suggest you or whoever do the same and get some help directly from Roku.

Here is their how-to-set-up-Roku-TV page: How do I set up my Roku TV™? | Official Roku Support

A video for setting up a Roku TV : https://support.roku.com/article/115004035608

User guide: Roku TV User Guide v9.4 for U.S., English

I can't find a phone number on their website, like most companies they try to push everything to the web, but the instructions that came with my TV had a help number in them. I don't have it at work with me, but if you can find the instructions for the TV it may have a phone number to get you to a live person.

Good luck.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thank you, everyone, for you thoughts and prayers. My mother passed early this morning, peacefully, surrounded with her family. We were all there at the end and were able to share our love.

Sincerely,

Doug

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry to hear this Doug, but glad that she went peacefully and that she was surrounded by family. May God surround you and your family now and give you comfort.

Top Bottom