I made a stupid mistake on the LTCH form, what now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Thats great new cmr13. I think you might be a little optimistic on the return but you never know.

Not really. The whole process from filling out online, going to police/sheriff station, getting prints done, submitting to ISP, and receiving LTCH in mail can be done in around a week now. The ISP turns around LTCH applications when they receive them is a day or two now. There is no longer a backlog. There are people in the "Current LTCH wait" thread that have done the whole process and had Mr. Pink in under a week.

Took mine about 45 days :( back when I went through the process. So they sure have sped up. I know some waited 9-12 months.

Last edited:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The whole process
    can be done in around a week now.
    Yep. I've regularly been hearing 4 days to a week turn around time lately.
    Caveat; ONLINE.
    The whole "mailing back and forth" snail-mail thing does take a little longer to sift through someone's mail inbox...but STILL a dang sight faster than it was during the epic "panic".

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    The whole process from filling out online, going to police/sheriff station, getting prints done, submitting to ISP, and receiving LTCH in mail can be done in around a week now.

Yep. I've regularly been hearing 4 days to a week turn around time lately.

That's what I'm hoping for! :)

I got the fingerprints done today. I was planning to go to the Sheriff's as well but one of the higher-ups at work took my team out for lunch today so I only had time to get fingerprints done (and I had the appointment already made). So tomorrow I'll go to the Sheriff's and get the local fees done and get the correction made.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    That's what I'm hoping for! :)

I got the fingerprints done today. I was planning to go to the Sheriff's as well but one of the higher-ups at work took my team out for lunch today so I only had time to get fingerprints done (and I had the appointment already made). So tomorrow I'll go to the Sheriff's and get the local fees done and get the correction made.

If you do complete that today then I'd fully expect you to have your license this time next week. Exception to that would be if you have anything sketchy in your background (arrests/convictions).

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    If you do complete that today then I'd fully expect you to have your license this time next week. Exception to that would be if you have anything sketchy in your background (arrests/convictions).

Got it done today on lunch (which was at about 2:15). The employee told me it would be around 6 weeks, but I'm really hoping they just say that so people are happy when it shows up really early.

She said that they do a background check there (at the county) and then the state does another one. What would be the point in that? I would hope they both have access to the same background checks.

And the only thing I have on my record is a speeding ticket from probably 5 years ago, so that's not going to be a problem.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    She said that they do a background check there (at the county) and then the state does another one. What would be the point in that? I would hope they both have access to the same background checks.

Because they are technically required to under Indiana code. IC 35-47-2-3 sec (c). They have to verify the info on the app and such.

BuckCreek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2013
    I'm an idiot. I filled out the form and looked it over and thought everything was right, then the "Your application was submitted successfully" screen came up and I saw how stupid I am. For whatever reason I thought the "suffix" meant "prefix" and now my name is listed as "my name mr". :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

Should I email or call ISP or what?

Oh crap I hope it's not a felony. :(:runaway::(

It is fairly obvious that it was an honest mistake, so I don't think you have to worry about it being a felony.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Got it done today on lunch (which was at about 2:15). The employee told me it would be around 6 weeks, but I'm really hoping they just say that so people are happy when it shows up really early.

And the only thing I have on my record is a speeding ticket from probably 5 years ago, so that's not going to be a problem.

The only way it is going to be six weeks is if your sheriff's office holds it for 5+ weeks. My guess is that person is not aware that there is no longer a backlog. Please let us know when you get it. Would just like to know.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not really. The whole process from filling out online, going to police/sheriff station, getting prints done, submitting to ISP, and receiving LTCH in mail can be done in around a week now. The ISP turns around LTCH applications when they receive them is a day or two now. There is no longer a backlog. There are people in the "Current LTCH wait" thread that have done the whole process and had Mr. Pink in under a week.

Took mine about 45 days :( back when I went through the process. So they sure have sped up. I know some waited 9-12 months.

I know someone that has been waiting more than 2 YEARS! for his license.
    He applied, online. The state police cashed his money order, then lost the application.
    He has never received a license, nor a refund, nor a denial. He's just heard nothing.

He has made numerous calls to the state police firearms division only to be told he would just need to be patient.

Recent events lead me to believe he may actually, FINALLY, receive a decision regarding his application for a handgun license.
    I don't feel at liberty to say more at the time, but even an online application doesn't always go smoothly.

I hope to be able to fill in some blanks in this ordeal soon.
    If the wait time is down to a week or so, then I would guess he'll be hearing something soon.

BTW- My lifetime ltch took about 5 weeks, but I applied for it just 2 months after they began offering them. No online available then.
    No sweat. I had a current license, and now I don't need to worry about it again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    He applied, online. The state police cashed his money order, then lost the application.
    He has never received a license, nor a refund, nor a denial. He's just heard nothing.

He has made numerous calls to the state police firearms division only to be told he would just need to be patient.

Recent events lead me to believe he may actually, FINALLY, receive a decision regarding his application for a handgun license.
    I don't feel at liberty to say more at the time, but even an online application doesn't always go smoothly.

If the wait time is down to a week or so, then I would guess he'll be hearing something soon.

BTW- My lifetime ltch took about 5 weeks, but I applied for it just 2 months after they began offering them. No online available then.
    No sweat. I had a current license, and now I don't need to worry about it again.

I'm patient, but 2 years.
    I'd be calling every day.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Because they are technically required to under Indiana code. IC 35-47-2-3 sec (c). They have to verify the info on the app and such.

Thanks for the info!

The only way it is going to be six weeks is if your sheriff's office holds it for 5+ weeks. My guess is that person is not aware that there is no longer a backlog. Please let us know when you get it. Would just like to know.

Well it was on a printed slip of paper that she gave me. I'm assuming they made the papers back when there was a large backlog and just still hand them out just because. I'll make sure to post here.

I'm patient, but 2 years.
    I'd be calling every day.

Same here. If it takes more then 2 or 3 weeks I'll probably call.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Thought I should update you all on this. I got the copy of my application in the mail Saturday from Elkhart County, so I'm hoping it will be before the end of this week when I get my LTCH.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Thought I should update you all on this. I got the copy of my application in the mail Saturday from Elkhart County, so I'm hoping it will be before the end of this week when I get my LTCH.

So Elkhart took a week before they even sent it off to the ISP then? I'm from Whitley and I'm pretty sure they sent mine the same or next day. You should have it within a week I'm guessing.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette

Well, I'm still not sure how things went down, but you've heard the old adages, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease", and, "It's not what you know, but WHO you know..."
    I started "squeaking" to someone I know. Evidently he was the right person.
    He started "squeaking" to someone in Indy.
    Almost exactly a week later, my friend has received a letter detailing that mistakes had been made.:rolleyes:
    The letter also stated though that the LTCH "Has been issued"!:rockwoot:
    I assume it is now in the mail. Now I wonder if he'll get a new hard plastic license, or a crappy little pink piece of paper, like the rest of us.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    So Elkhart took a week before they even sent it off to the ISP then? I'm from Whitley and I'm pretty sure they sent mine the same or next day. You should have it within a week I'm guessing.

I guess they did. I'm expecting to get it before this weekend. I will be picking up my Shield tomorrow, at least if the shop has gotten them in by the time I call.

Top Bottom