I "need" a budget .308 bolt gun!!! Help me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Okay, so I want to poke holes in paper at 100+ yards...you know, just in case of shtf.

I've done tons of "research" by googling things and reading forums, and I've come to the conclusion that .308 is "teh awesome" while still being reasonably economical. I'm a bleeding heart liberal so I can't own an "assault rifle", therefore I must stick to bolt actions. Oh, and (drum roll please) I don't want to spend a "ton" of money. I'd kind of like to have something that I can actually shoot for less than $1000...like optics and all. So...the internets have told me that I must either buy a Rem 700 or a Savage 10 or something similar.

I've been combing the classifieds, the online gunshops, and the local sporting goods stores for some good deals, and there are good deals to be had for sure. I kind of have my heart set on a 700 SPS or any Savage 10 with a 24" bbl, and I really really like the idea of the .308 round. Why, I don't fully know, but this is a conclusion that I seem to have come to. Did I mention that I'm left handed yet have only ever shot right handed bolt action rifles? I've semi-given up on going with a left handed rifle. Honestly, shooting off hand has never really been an issue for me.

Anyways...
    Dick's (believer it or not) actually has some of the most temping options I've seen thus far:

1) A Savage 10 FCP in desert tan with fluted 22" bbl for $699 or something like that (pretty damn sweet looking actually).

2) Rem 700 Varmint (non sps) with a heavy-ish barrel and a 4x12 scope for $450 after rebate. I'm not sure about this rifle...it's definitely not a 770, but it's obviously a lower end 700. I don't know...seems like a good deal for a starter gun, maybe.

And yes, there are some awesome options in the classifieds right now, and I'm considering those as well.

Thoughts/opinions?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    It's a tough choice with the options in the classifieds. The prices are good and the condition of the rifles are great. I personally like Savage, though. I would get something and then have someone do a trigger job on it and get a quality scope. The scope makes all the difference, IMO.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I was going to suggest a Savage 10FP-SR or 16 series. You also need to be aware that Dicks gets "special" models that appear to be more highend than they are... at least that's what they had when I was looking. Dicks "FCP's" don't (didn't) have HS or McMillan stocks. Nor did they have Savage's "Accustock."

:twocents:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Wow.

If I give you my advice, will you remember it in the morning?

Did you know that a true "Assault Rifle" is capable of full automatic fire?

Did you know that the firearms labeled by the Congressional weenies as assault weapons are no different than any other semi-automatic firearm?

OK, done with my rant. Now for the advice and I am sincere about this.

Buy a single shot or bolt gun in whatever caliber pleases you.

Don't worry about the scope, just have iron sights.

Since you probably won't learn how to shoot the rifle, it won't matter whether you have a scope on it or not.

Besides it will probably be mounted incorrectly and will hit you in the eye the first time you shoot it and the head bleeds profusely.

Welcome to INGO and good luck

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Wow.

If I give you my advice, will you remember it in the morning?

Did you know that a true "Assault Rifle" is capable of full automatic fire?

Did you know that the firearms labeled by the Congressional weenies as assault weapons are no different than any other semi-automatic firearm?

OK, done with my rant. Now for the advice and I am sincere about this.

Buy a single shot or bolt gun in whatever caliber pleases you.

Don't worry about the scope, just have iron sights.

Since you probably won't learn how to shoot the rifle, it won't matter whether you have a scope on it or not.

Besides it will probably be mounted incorrectly and will hit you in the eye the first time you shoot it and the head bleeds profusely.

Welcome to INGO and good luck

uhhh, OK. I take it you know the OP?

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    A Howa would be a cheap option. Should be able to spend more on the scope than the rifle and have a good setup if you're wanting to go up to $1000.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can pick up a Savage Edge for around $300. Then figure scope bases, rings, and optic. I have one in .223 and am very pleased with it. My first trip out, I shot two, five shot groups smaller than a dime at 50 yards. That's with the factory mounted scope.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I personally don't care for the Savages accutrigger. When my finger touches the trigger, all I want to feel is the trigger. I would stick with a Remington 700 SPS, and preferably one with a dettachable floor plate. The controls and ergonomics are great, and the X Mark trigger isn't bad considering its on a factory rifle. Once you get good with the rifle, you might consider pitching the factory stock and getting a stiff, bedded, free float setup.

Optics, rings, and bases are going to play a huge roll in how accurate your shot is, so buy the best that you can afford. Leupold tends to be a sweet spot between quality and price, and has never let me down yet. If you are planning on mounting it with a flat base, the Leupold dual dove tail rings and bases are rock solid, and not too expensive. I have no idea what comes on the Remington @ Dicks, but I doubt its real nice, due to the price point you mentioned.

For $1000, you should be able to make yourself a very accurate rifle that will last you a very long time. Best of luck.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Don't forget about the Marlin XS7. The XL7's are for long action cartridges. Those are going for about 400$. I have read two articles on them and they were able to do MOA at 100 yards. Not too shabby for a 400 dollar rifle.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    :laugh: I appreciate the advice folks, my earlier posts were a bit tongue and cheek and I think most of you caught that.

I think I'll pass on the offerings at Dick's. I'll look into the Axis/Edge and the XS7 before I do anything rash. I'm also still looking around for used options, but it looks like I'm going to miss out on that 700p in the classifieds.

It seems (and I should have known) that I probably needed to spend a bit more time thinking about optics. If I end up buying new, I'm thinking about ordering a lefty Remington 700 SPS Varmint and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and mounts. That setup comes in at around $900 before FFL fees and whatnot. I'm thinking that would leave me plenty of room for upgrading later, while still being something that I can be satisfied with as I re-learn how to shoot at a distance.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So in case anyone was wondering, apparently the 700 that Dick's has on sale is similar to an ADL model (blind mag). It seems that people have done pretty well at using them as a base for a project rifle. The scope is a throw-away obviously.

I think I'm going to go ahead and spend a little more and order the left handed SPS Varmint though. I can upgrade the stock and anything else in time, but it seems like a reasonable platform to get me going.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So in case anyone was wondering, apparently the 700 that Dick's has on sale is similar to an ADL model (blind mag). It seems that people have done pretty well at using them as a base for a project rifle. The scope is a throw-away obviously.

I think I'm going to go ahead and spend a little more and order the left handed SPS Varmint though. I can upgrade the stock and anything else in time, but it seems like a reasonable platform to get me going.

:yesway: Seems like sound logic to me.

Top Bottom