I "need" a budget .308 bolt gun!!! Help me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Budget...

Bolt....

7.62 x 51 Nato...

Answer: Lee Enfield #2A.:dunno:

That's the best I can do. Of course I am a wee bit out of date.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Scopes are for weenies...IRON lives forever!:D

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I can say from personal experience, that the Bushnell "Banner" Series of scope I have on a Remington in .30-06 has done just fine for me for the last two years. I think I spent around 80.00$ on it two years ago.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Thompson Venture. Mueller Tac II Scope. For less than 700 bucks total you get a rig that performs like it cost twice as much.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If I end up buying new, I'm thinking about ordering a lefty Remington 700 SPS Varmint and a Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 and mounts.

There are much better options at that price range than that particular Leupold. Leup'd scopes don't get good until you get to the *X-3 lines and up, and even then you have to be picky.

For example, SWFA's sample list has a 3.5-10x42 Sightron Big Sky @ $329, and it crushes the above VX-II. I have an inking it is better even than Leupold's 3.5-10 VX-3, and I'm trying to confirm that one way or the other by beating it up this spring bear season.

As for the rifle, consider the Howa 1500/Weatherby Vangaurd advice above.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I was in the same boat awhile ago and decided on the 700 SPS tactical. fantastic accuracy out of the box even with the iffy but comfortable hogue stock. after new stock and glass it's hovering right around the $1000 mark.

IMG_5337.jpg

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    ^^^ That is nice looking.

I've been spending quite a bit of time looking at Nikon Monarch scopes. They seem to be pretty nice for the money.

I've looked at and handled as many rifles as I could in the $400-$800 range, and I really do like the idea of the SPS Tactical. For some reason I keep coming back to the 700. I'm still on the fence about whether I should go right or left handed (there is no lefty tactical model afaik unless I wanted to shell out for the LTR). Going left handed seriously limits the amount of available options, and it's not that easy to find aftermarket lefty stocks.

The problem I see with Weatherbys and many others is the cheek rest for righties wold probably annoy me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    nikon

^^^ That is nice looking.

I've been spending quite a bit of time looking at Nikon Monarch scopes. They seem to be pretty nice for the money.

Monarch's are good glass. Natchez shooters supply, SWFA samples list, Cameraland, Opticsplanet are options for a good deal. I've been impressed lately with the Bushnell 4200 and 6500 series scopes with the side focus and Rainguard coating. That stuff works. Sightron "Big Sky" scopes are very comparable to the Leupy III stuff.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    So...

I ended up with a 700 LSS in .223. Not exactly a .308, but still a pretty sweet gun. It has a Burris 8x32 scope on it (which I might sell before too long) and a jewel trigger...picked it up for $900. Hopefully it shoots decent.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Let's see ?? You want a bolt action rifle. You want it to have a powerful bullet.
    You don't want to spend much money!!
    Buy A Mosin !!!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I have an idea...

Finnish MN M39... chamber sleeve... modified extractor...

Practical? Probably. Competitively affordable? Probably not.

It'd be fun though!

And I am intoxicated on the internet. Just a couple tumblers of Jim Beam Black in my new bourbon-tasting hobby, CCR Gold on the turntable (yup, LP, folks!), guns put up, and giving advice.

I wonder if, one day, interneting while intoxicated will be a crime? :facepalm:

Josh

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I'm not sure of the exact model. It's a Rem 700, 26" barrel .223, with a very light jewel trigger. The scope is a Burris Signature Select 8-32x44. I paid $900 for the gun/scope. I figure with the scope and trigger it's a pretty good deal.

I'm actually thinking about selling the scope and getting something a little different, but I'll have to shoot with it a few times first.

BulkAmmo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Congrats that's a fine 700 you have there.

I would say that you paid pretty much what it is worth given the condition and the scope included.

Make sure you give us an update once you take it out to the range.

Top Bottom