• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    With an aluminum head engine, almost anything is possible on cool down. Could have finally lost that head bolt that was just hanging on, the gasket, dropped a valve seat, etc. Could have run it out of gas and leaned it out that one time too many last time too. We simply don't know.

I wouldn't drag Jay over the coals here for that suggestion. The entire point of trouble shooting is that it's a process and that's one of the only things OP hasn't been able to check. He already did everything that made sense, so it's time to start looking at things that don't make sense, IMHO.

Its as simple as this, its prudent to correctly diagnose a no start correctly with a test light and or a meter and find the bad part or connection. And then go and buy the bad part.
    Otherwise one is running blind replacing parts. INGO is full of folks that blindly tell others what is bad without any knowledge of whats really going on.
    All theses members that know so much about electricity, but yet can't use a meter or tell someone else to use one.... I'm out...

Good Luck OP....

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Its as simple as this, its prudent to correctly diagnose a no start correctly with a test light and or a meter and find the bad part or connection. And then go and buy the bad part.
    Otherwise one is running blind replacing parts. INGO is full of folks that blindly tell others what is bad without any knowledge of whats really going on.
    All theses members that know so much about electricity, but yet can't use a meter or tell someone else to use one.... I'm out...

Good Luck OP....

You may have gotten wires crossed up in the thread, which is easy here, but the guy we were chatting with has spark so all of his tidbits should be electrified. The original guy had a no crank, which is a different deal and your observations there are mostly correct.

In the specific case of the hill you've chosen to climb here, no one told anybody to buy any parts, a compression test was suggested and I feel that's still a reasonable suggestion. I personally told him I suspect a bent push rod, but that doesn't mean go out and buy new push rods because I know that's the problem.

Relax, Francis.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central

Good Luck OP....

My post was not to the OP, I even quoted the question posted by EYECARRY. I did offer to fix OP if he would like which yes is more than likely electrical, of which I have plenty of experience.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    You may have gotten wires crossed up in the thread, which is easy here, but the guy we were chatting with has spark so all of his tidbits should be electrified. The original guy had a no crank, which is a different deal and your observations there are mostly correct.

In the specific case of the hill you've chosen to climb here, no one told anybody to buy any parts, a compression test was suggested and I feel that's still a reasonable suggestion. I personally told him I suspect a bent push rod, but that doesn't mean go out and buy new push rods because I know that's the problem.

Relax, Francis.

I'm not uptight Cletus, I am still with the first post in this thread... Good Luck....

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I'm done ****ing with this thing. I've replaced the battery, the solenoid and as of today the starter and I can't get it to crank. I don't have the ability to pull start it even if it did have a pull rope and don't have anything I can use to turn it over quick enough to see if it'll run as is. So I need a mechanic who is would be willing to take a look at it for me. Preferably north of Indy, I'll drop it off and pick it up and I'll pay for the repair of course. I hate small engines and they hate me. If it won't run I'll push it into the woods and let it rot.
    Aaaaaanyway. I did not mean to hijack this thread. I am curious as to what phylodog has found out and if he is up and running.
    As for me, several ideas were posted that I had not thought about. Thanks.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Aaaaaanyway. I did not mean to hijack this thread. I am curious as to what phylodog has found out and if he is up and running.
    As for me, several ideas were posted that I had not thought about. Thanks.

Don't worry about it, there is plenty of joker's out there that think they're so special that they can be the only one with the answer.
    I also wonder if phylodog found somebody.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good Lord guys.

Phylo if you were closer I would sort this out for you in short order. Sorry brother but distance is a killer sometimes.

And to the fella with spark and all. How do you know the carb is actually working. Is the plug wet. If not shoot some starting fluid at it will spinning it over. If it fires then take the carb off, clean it up, clear the jets and give it a go. Make sure the petcock is allowing fuel to flow.

This crap gas we get at the pump tends to eat carbs over a period of time. I know it killed both my chain saws.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I sent Phylodog a PM with the address and phone number of a really good small engine mechanic, who happens to live across the street from me. Granted it is a 26 mile drive or so, but if my neighbor can't figure it out, the engine deserves to be buried (environmentally safely) without a marker.

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    First thing I would do is what someone else suggested and that is put a socket and breaker bar on the crank bolt to make sure it is not seized up.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm done ****ing with this thing. I've replaced the battery, the solenoid and as of today the starter and I can't get it to crank. I don't have the ability to pull start it even if it did have a pull rope and don't have anything I can use to turn it over quick enough to see if it'll run as is. So I need a mechanic who is would be willing to take a look at it for me. Preferably north of Indy, I'll drop it off and pick it up and I'll pay for the repair of course. I hate small engines and they hate me. If it won't run I'll push it into the woods and let it rot.

rAFDK2R.jpg
    That looks exactly like the one I gave my buddy a few years ago. Mind me asking where you got it?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I bought it from an INGO member. It started and ran fine when I bought it, I used it for several hours before I broke a belt and haven't had it started since. I probably disturbed something while taking things apart to replace the belt.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought it from an INGO member. It started and ran fine when I bought it, I used it for several hours before I broke a belt and haven't had it started since. I probably disturbed something while taking things apart to replace the belt.

I got to thinking about this and it makes me wonder if there is some kind of safety switch that keeps it from starting when the blades are engaged. Maybe that switch somehow got into the wrong position while you were replacing the belts and now it "thinks" the blades are engaged even though they're not. Just a guess but I know my mower won't do anything if I try and start it with the blades engaged.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Holy crap peoples. Can we have 1 fracking thread that does not end up in a pissing match. You guys wear on me you really do.

I build engines. From scratch. And they make insane HP and make :poop: go really fast. So the understanding of how these things work is deeply ingrained.
    Phylo has an electrical problem. Not sure about the other one as I have tended to get stuck in the stupid. WTAF people.

Sometimes these little engines just get tired and stop. For $135 Harbor freight probably has an engine that will replace it. I have a 5HP Honda off of a pressure washer you can freaking have if it will work for you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well it appears my issue has been resolved with the discovery that the month old battery I bought is junk. I took it back so AutoZone could put it on their charger to determine the issue but it wouldn't crank the motor even with jumper cables on the battery. Pulled the battery from my UTV and tried it and it fired right up. You'd think you could rely on a brand new battery to be functional but apparently not.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom