• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Im still a little worried about the lead in the Glock barrel. Its also my carry gun so i dont want to mess it up any.

BTW...whats the most youd spend on 1000 primers?

Unless you are willing to see what bullets are more prone to leading and willing to keep a close eye on it, you have reason to be worried running them thru regardless if it's your EDC or not.

You have already gotten good advice on different options as far as jacketed or plated. The only thing I might add is rather than starting out by buying in bulk, you might try a 100 each of a few different weights/profiles... We have (3) G19's and two of them like both the 115 and 124 gr RN but (1) does seem to be more accurate with the plated 124 gr FN.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    You need to get a Lone Wolf barrel, NOT because of the possible leading issue, but because the factory Glock barrel does not support the base of the cartridge as well as the after market barrel. A failure in the Glock bulge area could be very dangerous.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    You need to get a Lone Wolf barrel, NOT because of the possible leading issue, but because the factory Glock barrel does not support the base of the cartridge as well as the after market barrel. A failure in the Glock bulge area could be very dangerous.

Ive never seen any bulge out of the cases ive shot from it. None at all. I know there have been problems with .40 and older gen glocks but i havent seen a thing from mine.

Unless you are willing to see what bullets are more prone to leading and willing to keep a close eye on it, you have reason to be worried running them thru regardless if it's your EDC or not.

You have already gotten good advice on different options as far as jacketed or plated. The only thing I might add is rather than starting out by buying in bulk, you might try a 100 each of a few different weights/profiles... We have (3) G19's and two of them like both the 115 and 124 gr RN but (1) does seem to be more accurate with the plated 124 gr FN.

All ive shot is 115gr out of mine. I figured the bullets would shoot the same. Never had a problem with them

I use xtreme plated 115 gr RN all the time. Never any problem. I get them grom Gunbroker and pay about $75/1000, free shipping. I think they come from TJ Conovera.

Thats where i plann on getting them. They have xtreme for 79 and berrys for 82. i figured id pay the extra 3 bucks for berrys

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The bottom of every casing fired out of a glock will have it.

If you will not get a barrel that fully supports the shell then use your brass once then sell it or recycle it.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Is it really that big of a problem? Because i get alot of range brass and ive got brass from M&P to XD's and i cant tell a differance from those and the ones i get from mine.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    The unsupported area the of the barrel helps the gun function better. With factory ammo and pressures in check the risk is very low with today's Glocks.

With reused brass, and hand loaded ammo your risk goes up.

It's your eyes and hands, for me $100 for a lone wolf barrel to shoot my hand loads was a no brainer. Bonus, I now have a barrel thats threaded for a suppressor.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    I'll post up another +1 for Berry's plated. In fact, just received a shipment today and they through in a free T-shirt too.

I use the plated ones in my Glock 23 and I haven't had any issues with them at all (I clean after every range visit though). I also haven't noticed the "bulge" in my cases. I'll start looking more closely, but I haven't seen any issues yet.

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I'll post up another +1 for Berry's plated. In fact, just received a shipment today and they through in a free T-shirt too.

I use the plated ones in my Glock 23 and I haven't had any issues with them at all (I clean after every range visit though). I also haven't noticed the "bulge" in my cases. I'll start looking more closely, but I haven't seen any issues yet.

I placed my order just today! Ill look at my caes and measure them before i load them. Ive never seen or felt a bulge before so im not too worried.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Jake over at Rocky Mountain Reloading, has 9mm jacketed bullets, 112.00/1000 shipped. He alos has 5% discount coupon good thru August. He has a post with the info about discount on THR.
    I have shot a lot of his bullets and have been very pleased, I have even shot the "pulls" he sometimes has. Plinking ammo dosent have to be first quality for me, I dont shoot that well. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom