• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    How did you secure the beam to the wall? You’re giving me ideas. I’ve never been a fan of the pinkish tile and a mantle that screams late 90’s/early 2000’s the house was built in. Thinking some type of rustic beam and barn wood or cultured stone up the walll.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    How did you secure the beam to the wall? You’re giving me ideas. I’ve never been a fan of the pinkish tile and a mantle that screams late 90’s/early 2000’s the house was built in. Thinking some type of rustic beam and barn wood or cultured stone up the walll.

I described the attachment method in the last two paragraphs of the OP.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Very cool.

I've been a big fan of the look of barn beams my whole life...they held up my Dad's barn quite well.

Barn.png

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    When my wife and I had our house built, the contractor said he had an old beam we could HAVE, and use for the fireplace mantle. He showed us photos of it and it looked great, but he kept putting off bringing it by. Finally, the day before the fireplace installer was scheduled to be there, my contractor said that he decided he wanted $500 for the beam. That night I found a beam in my 150 year old barn and my wife and I cut it, pressure washed it, stained it, and had it installed in time for the fireplace to be installed. I wasn’t about to give him money for something he had offered to me as a gift. Besides, now every time I look at the mantle, I remember that night.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    When my wife and I had our house built, the contractor said he had an old beam we could HAVE, and use for the fireplace mantle. He showed us photos of it and it looked great, but he kept putting off bringing it by. Finally, the day before the fireplace installer was scheduled to be there, my contractor said that he decided he wanted $500 for the beam. That night I found a beam in my 150 year old barn and my wife and I cut it, pressure washed it, stained it, and had it installed in time for the fireplace to be installed. I wasn’t about to give him money for something he had offered to me as a gift. Besides, now every time I look at the mantle, I remember that night.

that was a dick move for sure. I have enough beam left over that I could easily make another mantle and probably get $500 bux for it (that’s about the average I’ve seen them go for), which would still make me a profit on the part I used at home. I don’t think I’m going to do that though, I am going to make a few more things out of what I have left, just not sure exactly what yet.

380Mike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Beautiful job! Thank you for not painting it. I have a friend that just bought a 150+ year old log cabin, that has be added onto a few times. Someone in their, less than brightest moment, painted the logs in this house. Some of those logs are close to 18 inches wide. There really should be a law against that.

Top Bottom