• ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Sorry, couldn't keep up anymore,
    I was waiting for the canner to cool down when this all went sideways, once that was done I went to bed.
    Actual work to get done yesterday...

As for "Bad Moon Rising"...
    It seems to come down to either,

"I'm going to get mine & screw everyone else"
    (That always goes well when you crap on everyone around you and then SHTF happens...)

"I'm protected by 'God' and noting will effect me"
    (Name the last PROVABLE time 'God' showed up and intervened on a humans behalf... )

"Or me writing we'll all be in this together"
    (If you are willing to work, we can at least feed everybody...)

Follow the money,
    Scared people consume,
    See firearms, ammo, food, paper product shortage...

It is, after all, a 'Consumer Economy' and big business likes it's peasants scared & consuming!

Light frost this morning...
    Waiting for that hard frost, I'm ready to shut the gardens down for the winter.

With the spring we had I wasn't expecting much, got 2x to 3x of about everything from what we were expecting, so it's been hectic around here!
    Good stuff in the fridge, freezer & storage, so I'm not complaining at all, just tired.

I have about 300 cases of pasta sauce in glass jars I need to do something with, salvage from last winter's ice and bad driving.
    My back isn't looking forward to humping all those cases into cold storage...

Good news, 300 cases.
    Bad news, used to be 400 cases before the wreck, and the broken jars are all over the unbroken, so cleanup will be a pain...

I can't leave it in an outdoor storage trailer over the winter, so it will have to go to the cellar or get sold/given away.

Last resort, to the food bank and get tax credits for it! I like tax credits! ;)
    (Charitable Donations)

Church Mouse was talking about the old ways...
    Anyone still plant winter radishes?
    They taste good, but no one wants a few tons, and what you don't eat you till back into the soil in spring.

I've got to admit, it took me a lot time to come around to a roto-tiller, but I wouldn't do without one now.
    Just have a tractor with hydraulics big enough to power the tiller and it's off to the races in 1 or 2 passes.

Just never lend it to the idiot down the street that wants to till up all the sunken rock in his driveway!
    I actually saw that happen, so there are people dumb enough to do it...

Checked the batteries this afternoon, got to love LiFePo4, sitting at 113% expected capacity!
    GO LFP BATTERIES!

Even on half a short fall day with frost on the panels this morning.
    I'm SO GLAD I got away from lead/acid I can't even explain it!

As long as these new cells have sit around here if they were lead/acid they would be junk now...
    One of the wonderful things about LFP is they can sit for years without degrading, some have a storage shelf life of 15 years.

I've been slow about getting my new cells together into a bank, and getting that en banc, I think working on that will be the project after dealing with pasta sauce...
    Priorities... winter is coming and the new bank *Should* increase storage capacity about 1/3.

I don't know how many overcast days we'll have, but that *Should* raise storage capacity another week.
    I have the panels to charge them, just need to get the wiring changed out and get the panels installed in existing racks.
    (Week after next work)

I saw I have a vacuum leak in one of my solar thermal (hot water) tubes.
    I should have expected this, the seals are 15+ years old (I bought them used so maybe 20 years old...?).

The heat exchanger tank was sitting at 133°F this morning, so one tube isn't hiring efficiency... Yet...
    (The pump shuts off at 180°F exchanger tank temp, no one wants a steam explosion!)

Radiant floor heat is so nice, warm floors!
    The dog has a hard time finding a cool spot to lay, but the wife & cat love it.

I already bought copper seals for the tubes several years back knowing this was a weak spot on these panels.
    Copper crush seals should last longer than the early factory silicone seals.

It isn't lost on me I might have died from old age when they need seals again.
    Sobering thought...

SO!
    Feeling my mortality, I'm going back to work...
    Work till you die or win the lottery!
    The chances are much greater I'm working until I die...

Last edited:

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Right, like I said; You gotta know what you are doing.

That might be tough for those that already know everything, and just a little bit more? ;)

Yup, you do have to figure it out...

I took your advice and did potatoes in grass clippings/straw/hay and it's working out really well.
    Just put some hay & a tarp over one patch, going to see how it winter's that way (in the ground).

How about telling us how you 'Compost' animal fats without issues?...
    (Leave the insults & smug out of it)

I'm aware you can cook animal innards, droppings from meat eaters, etc.,
    I just don't want to expend the time and energy cooking what is very little of compostable material.

I tried the 'Tarp' method, took samples and had them tested, ($15 at the collage)
    Hepititus, E-coil, salmanilla, etc still present after 2 summers...

I guess I could build a methane generator and do it that way, but the expense seems excessive for the amount of animal compost I generate...
    Its not like we have a huge poultry or hog facility to supplement a bioreactor...

Fredj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Florida
    Fact check of the fact checkers: :bs:

Didn't know my great grandmother, but my mom sure as heck did! She even washed and saved those thin plastic "baggies" back before there were Ziplocs.
    Got a jar of bacon grease in the fridge right now. Fact checkers, my a$$.

Fredj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Florida
    Even when there is a non-violent alternative already in place?

Its called voting.
    Voting replace bullets...

Just like labor unions stopped dragging robber barons from being dragged out and killed in front of their families.
    (They remember, that's why they have private armies protecting them, why don't the rest of us remember?)

Voting doesn't work if you keep voting in the same people screwing you, creating divisions...
    Congress members spend an average of 32 years in office, while the president can make no laws, is subject to review by the supreme court, and spends a maximum of 8 years in office...

Half of qualified Americans don't vote,
    The other half are divided about 24.5% 'Right', 24.5% 'Left', and 1% over the fences.

Its my opinion most people are shooting at the wrong targets...
    But I been to the range with 'Citizens' and that's nothing new either! ;)
    For a long while I thought term limits were the answer, but the ballot box is far more powerful. We just accept too much crap as citizens. If they don't do right, vote 'em out.
    Of course, this presumes that there are any candidates worth supporting. We should all step up.

Fredj317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    Florida
    If I am cooking the bacon I start a hot skillet with a bit of grease from the jar. It gets things going and the bacon is more consistent. When we cook we do the whole pound package because someone will eat it.
    The grease cools and goes back in the jar and into the fridge.
    This thread has me looking at how much different we are than even our parents in how we cook/eat and live.
    Now my grand parents were that much different again. And I really miss those meals especially on the family farm.
    What I don’t miss is the road kill stew….:):
    Popcorn popped in bacon grease is the second best thing there is!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    For a long while I thought term limits were the answer, but the ballot box is far more powerful. We just accept too much crap as citizens. If they don't do right, vote 'em out.
    Of course, this presumes that there are any candidates worth supporting. We should all step up.

Votes do not matter.
    It's how the votes are counted that matters.

You have MUCH more faith than do I.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    A shortage of goods is just the start. The big change will be when Wall Street reacts to the huge adjustment due our dollar. It’s never been a good economy when we have continued to go in debt to keep it “looking”like a good economy. It’s like when you get a bonus check and spend it on a new gun instead of paying your bills. The adjustment is coming and lawlessness right behind it.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

The ballot box used to mean something, back before all candidates were owned by various political action committees, corporations, and parties.

Now days it's just a participation trophy.

The real solution is dealing with them when they don't do something right. Even if votes mattered, the ability to run in another election or retire on millions of dollars means they don't face much if any risk for their bad choices. Until they face real tangible risks, it's only going to keep getting worse.

Unless you think giving a violent felon a few million dollars to retire on is somehow a just punishment for their crimes.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    #1 - Vote Against The Incumbent: Democrat, Republican, Independent, it doesn't matter, just vote out the 40+ year incumbent. They're all the same anyways but if voting actually matters it sends a clear message WE THE PEOPLE can enforce term limits by the voting box.

#2 - Vote in the Primaries: you wonder why the same old farts are the only choices on the ballot in November? That's because you didn't vote in the spring! Primaries have much more impact on the direction of the election than the November ballot.

#3 - Make Congress subject to their own policies: they push all this crap on us and exempt themselves. If Obamacare was so great, why aren't those in Congress required to participate? If the vaccine is so important, why isn't it mandated for the Legislative and Executive branches? Getting elected to Congress has basically become a lifetime appointment of living above the law and the consequences of bad choices... That needs to end.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    #1 - Vote Against The Incumbent: Democrat, Republican, Independent, it doesn't matter, just vote out the 40+ year incumbent. They're all the same anyways but if voting actually matters it sends a clear message WE THE PEOPLE can enforce term limits by the voting box.
    Unless you have critical mass, you will accomplish nothing except electing the machine politician. the time to try this is in the primary. You can find out there if enough people feel as you do to make a difference without as high a cost of failure
    #2 - Vote in the Primaries: you wonder why the same old farts are the only choices on the ballot in November? That's because you didn't vote in the spring! Primaries have much more impact on the direction of the election than the November ballot.
    THIS^^^ Lasting change takes planning and the work of many volunteers. Try to encourage good people to run and be prepared to help them win those primaries
    #3 - Make Congress subject to their own policies: they push all this crap on us and exempt themselves. If Obamacare was so great, why aren't those in Congress required to participate? If the vaccine is so important, why isn't it mandated for the Legislative and Executive branches? Getting elected to Congress has basically become a lifetime appointment of living above the law and the consequences of bad choices... That needs to end.
    Those things are not mandated because they cannot be, those are all separate and independent branches by design. Don't waste time tilting at that windmill right now, especially not some pie-in-the-sky amendment to make them subject to regulation that would be full of unintended consequences

First, develop enough grass roots power to convincingly make the case that any politician can be replaced and will be if they start getting comfortable in the swamp. Then you can make it plain to your legislator that you wish specific clauses making such mandates applicable to congress written into the bill before passage. Only the legislature can impose restrictions on the legislature. Then the legislature can use the power of the purse to 'encourage' the other branches to adopt a similar mindset

If you have a low tolerance for disappointment or don't believe we need to re-elect Trump you probably shouldn't even try

Top Bottom