• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Finally got home around 2am this morning. Here's a few pics of the rifle I tried to post from AZ but couldn't get it to work. I believe it was manufactured in 1965. I'd like to keep the Olympic sights on it but I don't think they will work very well for varmint poking so it may end up with a scope eventually.

pkrzUl5h.jpg

e9jlrX2h.jpg

vnj7FrZh.jpg

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I must admit, Phylodog had some nice wood.
    So, are all the Olympified model 40-X in 22 made for the Military? Most the ones I've seen said "USMC Property".

Oh, hows the trigger? Do you think it's adjustable?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I can certainly see how there would be some mental argument on whether to scope that beauty or leave it as produced 50 years ago.

Wonder what accuracy is obtainable with the irons? Distance?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I must admit, Phylodog had some nice wood.
    So, are all the Olympified model 40-X in 22 made for the Military? Most the ones I've seen said "USMC Property".

Oh, hows the trigger? Do you think it's adjustable?

I honestly don't know the history behind these rifles. I've only seen one marked USMC, most that I've seen are simply marked US. My understanding is that these were released through the CMP years ago in somewhat limited quantities but I don't know how they were used by the military.

I believe the trigger is adjustable, there is a small screw in the shoe of the trigger. I haven't felt the trigger yet so I don't know if it'll need adjusted or possibly replaced.

Last edited:

jinks

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2013
    Central
    My understanding is that these were released through the CMP years ago in somewhat limited quantities but I don't know how they were used by the military.
    I think most of the CMP 40X were from ROTC returns, but some were used by marksmanship teams. I purchased two, a heavy barrel (700 actions) and a medium barrel (722 actions). I sold both to a member here for a project he was working on.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040210004506/http://www.odcmp.com/services/Rifles/caliber22.htm

REMINGTON 40X
    NLU R026HB

Remington, Model 40X Target Rifle Rimfire- .22LR Cal.
    ,single shot, 28" heavy barrel, target stock, approx. weight 12 3/4 pounds, metal finish may show light scratches, may be blued or parkerized, some wear with occasional minor rust or pitting. Stocks may exhibit minor dents/dings and normal wear. Rifle bores show some use with minimal lead fouling.
    These rifles are U.S. Property marked, have no sights or sight blocks and
    are returns from the training/competition field. Remington model 40X Target Rifle Rimfire priced at $350.00 each.
    Club sales only prior to 1 Mar 2004.

REMINGTON 40X
    NLU R026

Remington, Model 40X Standard Barrel Rimfire- .22LR Cal., single shot, 28" standard barrel, approx. weight 10 3/4 pounds,
    metal finish may show light scratches, may be blued or parkerized, some wear with with occasional minor rust or pitting. Stocks may exhibit minor dents/dings and normal wear. Rifle bores show some use with minimal lead fouling.
    These rifles are U.S. Property marked, have no sights or sight blocks and
    are returns form the training/competition field. Remington model 40X Standard Barrel Rimfire priced at $275.00 each.
    Club sales only prior to 1 Mar 2004.

Additional rifles were sold in 2009.

https://web.archive.org/web/20091209164814/http://www.thecmp.org:80/22targetsurplus.htm

Last edited:

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Sure is purdy. Makes me want to dig out Annie from the back of the safe when it warms up.

Good score phylo, and it didn't involve electricity or plumbing...:whistle:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I can certainly see how there would be some mental argument on whether to scope that beauty or leave it as produced 50 years ago.

Wonder what accuracy is obtainable with the irons? Distance?

Good aperture sights in the right hands are capable of holding 1/2 MOA at 1000 yards with the appropriate chambering and ammo. Granted, that's on a round black bullseye highpower target under pretty controlled conditions.

The .22 LR this thing is chambered in is the limiting factor in this setup, not the sights, for accuracy as it pertains to a nice contrasting round taget.

By the way OP, that 40X is gorgeous. You done good. Real good.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Nice gun. Aren't you worried about scratching it up laying it on the ground like that?

Top Bottom