• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Found the paper work for my 40-X, #8682, standard barrel, made in 1955, got it from the CMP back in '04. Came with no sights, $295.95 to my door. Wound up using some filler screws where all the iron sights used to be, took the original linseed oil finish down to the bare wood as I dared, rubbed in 100% Pure Tung Oil, wiped down and let it sit for a few days. Long drawn out process but it looked so much better with that old Walnut showing some grain when out in the sun. Put a Nikon Monarch 2.5x10 on it [getting old is not good for iron sights] and with some pricey match ammo it's darn near a one hole at 50 yds. Even with run of the mill ammo, it is a pleasure to shoot. Same order included a rifle that was a heavy barrel, which I got rid off a couple of years later. That thing was like picking up a bucket full of rocks

Decided to use the finished rig one year for squirrel hunting, using high velocity Super X, a bit noisy scaring other target to quit cutting. Changed to some sub sonic, still an highly accurate considering the ammo, but I was knocking more than one out of the same tree with the long barrel and sub ammo.

Haven't shot it for a couple of years now, but I'll have to dust it of this year as these posts have renewed my interest in .22LR shooting. Can remember shooting it at the range just before the squirrel season opened and having to help several sight their new rifles in [mostly semi autos] and when they saw what I was using I was answering a lot of questions.

Having done some work on the issue trigger, it pays to keep finger off until ready to shoot as more than one found out real quick that they had no trigger discipline whatsoever.

Put a good scope on your new find, but make a special box for the iron sights you take off. They ain't cheap to replace! It will be fun trying to hit the 350 yd. dinger at the local range this summer, and at a whole lot cheaper price than using my M1A.

BTW, I've turned down more than twice of what I've got in it now, and the guy was upset that I said no.

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    That is one beautiful 40X Rangemaster... I don't think that I could have laid it on the gravel to take pictures.

Congrats!

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Don't feel too bad about your purchase. Last time I went out to Arizona, I ended up coming back with a 2" bore black powder breech-loading cannon (though I freight shipped that back, since I'm pretty sure it was four or five hundred pounds over my baggage weight limit).

My girlfriend (now wife) was definitely not amused.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Don't feel too bad about your purchase. Last time I went out to Arizona, I ended up coming back with a 2" bore black powder breech-loading cannon (though I freight shipped that back, since I'm pretty sure it was four or five hundred pounds over my baggage weight limit).

My girlfriend (now wife) was definitely not amused.

He went to Arizona and all he got me was this lousy cannon. :crying:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Do you remember that chick in High School that liked you but you didn't ask her out and you've been kicking yourself over it every day since? :xmad:

You don't want to do that again, do you?

Or even worse, that very nice, but plain looking, girl in high school that really liked you but you were trying in vain to win the attention of her good looking sister. Then 2 years after graduation you run into her again and has she ever bloomed, easily outshining her sister, but she started dating a much smarter guy than you were. <--- True story.

Top Bottom