• ...and so much more!
  • HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    It can't be just me, right?

First, a little background. I have gleefully reached middle age (46), I have good job and income, married, have successfully raised children (my son will graduate BSU in May), own my own home, have many friends, enjoy cigars, and basically just all around average guy.

Yet I've recently developed OGDS. For those of you unfamilliar with this affliction, let me assure you that is quite disconcerting. It didn't used to be a problem and I'm attributing it to age. But I'm curious to know if any others suffer with me.

Lately, I can't leave the neighborhood with thinking that I left the garage door open. I call this "Open Garage Door Syndrome". For some reason, as I get to a certain distance and start to wonder if I lowered the door. Then I convince myself that I did not.

The other day I got all the way to Allisonville road (I live near I69/96th St) and I turned around and went all the way back home to check. Of course it was down and I've never returned to find that it's open. As far as I know, OGDS is my only mental affliction. And it's certainly getting worse.

Does this happen to anyone else?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

First, a little background. I have gleefully reached middle age (46), I have good job and income, married, have successfully raised children (my son will graduate BSU in May), own my own home, have many friends, enjoy cigars, and basically just all around average guy.

Yet I've recently developed OGDS. For those of you unfamilliar with this affliction, let me assure you that is quite disconcerting. It didn't used to be a problem and I'm attributing it to age. But I'm curious to know if any others suffer with me.

Lately, I can't leave the neighborhood with thinking that I left the garage door open. I call this "Open Garage Door Syndrome". For some reason, as I get to a certain distance and start to wonder if I lowered the door. Then I convince myself that I did not.

The other day I got all the way to Allisonville road (I live near I69/96th St) and I turned around and went all the way back home to check. Of course it was down and I've never returned to find that it's open. As far as I know, OGDS is my only mental affliction. And it's certainly getting worse.

I've suffered from ANXIETY, used to take XANAX, until day I said to myself I don't give a FLECH about anything & the anxiety left me:yesway:

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    While reading through your story, I thought you had a medical condition diagnosed by a doctor that had something to do with erectile dysfunction. I hope this remains as your only mental affliction but have no idea how to solve it. Maybe install a camera that you can view on your cell phone?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I am bad about putting the door down, while I'm home. More than once a neighbor has rang our door at 11pm to tell us it was up. But I haven't left it up while away, yet.

renegade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    IN
    HD, I suffer from it also. What I have started doing is back out and close the garage door and watch it close as I'm putting on my seat belt. This has worked pretty well for me maybe it will help you.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

I have to CHECK, and double CHECK, to make sure, I LOCK MINE....
    I will also have to believe it is age..... I'm 54.....

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    HD, I suffer from it also. What I have started doing is back out and close the garage door and watch it close as I'm putting on my seat belt. This has worked pretty well for me maybe it will help you.

I second this, I have to make sure I watch it close all the way. With the sensors I am always afraid something will cause the door to open back up before closing completely.

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Why would it matter if you forgot to close the door? will the world end? could tell you the story about a badman who hid in my brothers garage, stuck a gun to his head tied his hands and locked him in the trunk of a car in the garage.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Why would it matter if you forgot to close the door? will the world end? could tell you the story about a badman who hid in my brothers garage, stuck a gun to his head tied his hands and locked him in the trunk of a car in the garage.

Why would you say that:dunno: It's only going to make him worry more:laugh:

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I suffer the same affliction. I will watch the door go down, tell myself aloud that the door is down, drive to the entrance of my neighborhood and immedialtely think to myself, was the door really down or did I just say it was out of routine... This drives my wife bat**** crazy, but aside from that, it's a real PITA....:D

Neezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2011
    i agree with one of the other entries. if you install a camera that points at your garage door. you can wire that to modern day cell phones. i have a friend that has this and he checks his house throughout the day

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    i agree with one of the other entries. if you install a camera that points at your garage door. you can wire that to modern day cell phones. i have a friend that has this and he checks his house throughout the day
    sounds like a good way for a bad guy to make sure your not home, so they can jack all your stuff.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis

It happens to me but I realized that it is much worse if I don't really want to leave home.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    The garage door is just the beginning. It actually gets worse from there.
    Do I have my cell phone?
    Did I shut off the coffee maker?
    Did I lock the ignition on the Harley?
    Did I zip my fly?

OGDS is bad, but OFS is much, much worse. I'm sorry, but it's all downhill from here...

Top Bottom