• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    looking at the Bushie 20 inch competition rifle or perhaps ordering one from Del-ton. The Armalite A2 for $900 looks tempting, though I would prefer a flat-top.

I would like to keep the bill around $8-900. Anyone have any experience or other suggestions?

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    looking at the Bushie 20 inch competition rifle or perhaps ordering one from Del-ton. The Armalite A2 for $900 looks tempting, though I would prefer a flat-top.

I would like to keep the bill around $8-900. Anyone have any experience or other suggestions?

[SIZE=+2]Colt CAR A3 HBAR Elite [/SIZE]

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    If you are looking for a "competition" rifle, I would suggest you take a look at White Oak.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    not looking for a competition rifle per se; looking for an M16 style A2/A3 type rifle, though it doesn't have to be mil-spec in terms of the barrel twist, etc.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've got a 20" Bushmaster Competition hbar around here somewhere. A flat top. It's a good shooter.
    It weighs something like 9 lbs. Not light, but not really any different than packing around a Garand ect so not a big deal.
    As far as you finding one at a decent price I don't know what to tell you there. I haven't seen one lately. But if I do see one, or someting similar, I'll let you know.
    You might find something at the 1500 if you can make it to the show. I've only been once and wasn't looking at rifles so wouldn't know what to expect on prices.

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    120   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    Build one!

Spike's Tactical stripped lower at aimsurplus - $80

Del-ton 20" rifle kit - $465

Maybe some shipping and cost to transfer the lower through and FFL. Couple mags @ $10 each or so.

In for about $600. Leaves you enough $$ for 1K rounds of ammo.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

I bought a bushmaster 20" Hbar with the A3 upper from budsgunshop. I wrote a somewhat lengthy review of it on there under the name Adam. Mine had some issues, but once they were taken care of by Bushmaster the gun has been flawless since. Mine is very accurate and I put a daniel defense omega free floating rail on mine so it'd look closer to what I used to carry.

I thought about the Colt 6700, but I wanted the flash suppresor on the rifle. I didn't want to take a brand new colt to the gunsmith and have them start going to town on a mil-spec rifle.

If you'd like to shoot one I'll be at Youngs range this saturday.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    Build one!

Spike's Tactical stripped lower at aimsurplus - $80

Del-ton 20" rifle kit - $465

Maybe some shipping and cost to transfer the lower through and FFL. Couple mags @ $10 each or so.

In for about $600. Leaves you enough $$ for 1K rounds of ammo.

^This^, if you play your cards right you can build a rifle almost as easy as buying one, plus you gain the knowledge, experience, and bragging rights of having built your own. Also, just my :twocents: , but if your not planning on shooting past 500 yds I'd stick with the 16" upper why add the extra weight and length if not necessary? Unless it's just personal preference.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I just noticed that all 20" uppers are temporarily out of stock on the BCM site. They make and sell them in batches. They do not include a BCG, charging handle or handguards on the basic upper.
    You can sign up for an email notification as to when they get them back in stock.
    These are Goverment profile with 1:7 twist.
    I think they are something like $385.00 but don't hold me to that.
    Grant at G&R tactical may have something that would suit your needs.

Edit : If interested in G&R, call them. Not everything they have is listed on their site.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I bought a Colt HBAR upper about 15 yrs. ago, 1/9 twist..with 55 gr. Acme re-load ammo its deadly at the 540 yd. range. Thats the farthest I've shot it, I was hitting what looked like a 10" gong about 75 % of the time, with the help of a spotter, I had to hold way high.....I have a better scope now, an would love to sight in at that range just to see how the groups look....the gong would just barely move, an you could just hear the ding...I hit it twice with open sights M1 Garand, the gong was bouncing all over, impressed the spotter an myself that day.

Shooter1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2010
    Tennyson "Warrick CO"
    "PK FIREARMS.com" get the Bushmaster 20" Govt profile! You can get it in 1/9 or 1/7! It makes a world of a difference! I promise you wont regert it! I hate the HBAR barrel. I got my gun set up as a exact copy of a M16A4. Im shooting a 1" group at 300 and a 12x12 plates at 600.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I don't know why Colt won't make a simple 20" flat top rifle with a Goverment profile barrel. I finally gave up waiting for it to happen and bought complete BCM rifle.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    "PK FIREARMS.com" get the Bushmaster 20" Govt profile! You can get it in 1/9 or 1/7! It makes a world of a difference! I promise you wont regert it! I hate the HBAR barrel. I got my gun set up as a exact copy of a M16A4. Im shooting a 1" group at 300 and a 12x12 plates at 600.

thanks for the info! if i order one of their uppers and a complete lower from DSA, that's a fair amount cheaper than ordering a whole rifle.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    Unless your shooting competitions for the win do not get a hbar! build a gun using a PKfirearms 20" 1/7 twist govt profile! I shoot 600yds with my gun!
    I'm learning here, my question is why not the H BAR? Is it not a more stable barrel for long rang shots? Just asking. Trying to learn more on the AR Uppers and configurations.:dunno:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm learning here, my question is why not the H BAR? Is it not a more stable barrel for long rang shots? Just asking. Trying to learn more on the AR Uppers and configurations.:dunno:

In a nutshell an hbar is too heavy for some peoples liking. You are right though that if you want more accuracy you generally go with the heavier barrel. The government profile barrels are still plenty accurate and fine as they are. Its a matter of wanting a little more accuracy or a little less weight. Both are great.

mcwulf30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    I'm building mine as soon as I sell my tactical sks. I'm going with a stag lower,bush lower kit,delton complete upper,delton carrier assembly and a Stag 20" barrel. All for around $535.

Top Bottom