• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    So you insulted what he liked. When he didn't ask for your opinion? Then you get upset about his response and make a thread on the Internet about it?

I feel stupider for even reading this thread.

For one thing I didn't insult it. Only said that I preferred the .357 over the .40. He wasn't even in the conversation in the first place. He just decided to jump into it on his own. Never did get upset about it. And I'm not even complaining. Gave some people on INGO something to laugh about actually. One of our hometown LGS heroes. I guess you really are more stupid considering you didn't read it very well.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    If you have on of them fancy IPhones you should have shown him the Yeager video where he comes right out and says that all people who carry .40s have little male genitals.

Lol, I could only imagine his reaction to that one. Would probably have definitely been worthy of a video of the ensuing hissy fit.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I have poor impulse control so I look upon opportunities such as this as a time to have fun.

I usually get loudmouth know it alls running down rabbit holes, each one getting more and more twisty. I'd start with explaining how a .22 short is my preferred s-d caliber, and once I had one go thru two people and put a gouge into a concrete wall. From there I'd bounce to who knows where, and let him gobble like a turkey trying to keep up with me.

Deny everything he says and watch him get more and more cranked up and steaming. It's kinda like kicking a puppy, which I would never do, but some people are just born to take abuse from those who know better how to give it than they do.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Online gun forum ... good analogy. I always thought that people adopt a certain online persona when hiding behind a keyboard, and that the stuff they spew online they would never speak in person.

Maybe not with gun nuts. :D

Lol!

Must be one of them exceptions....

I am them same jackass in person, that I am one here's...

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    Brother you should see the looks I get when I tell them I dont like Glocks or the 40 ....You would think I took a Dump in their Cheerios :D

Some think I am the ANTI-CHRIST when they walk into the shop and see me carrying a 5 shot .357 revolver . or a beretta 92 compact :ingo:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Brother you should see the looks I get when I tell them I dont like Glocks or the 40 ....You would think I took a Dump in their Cheerios :D

Some think I am the ANTI-CHRIST when they walk into the shop and see me carrying a 5 shot .357 revolver . or a beretta 92 compact :ingo:

No offense to those with merely a preference, but I have a couple of Glocks in .40, and suffer the same from fools that tout the inferiority of both the make and caliber.

Its strange that in every objective demonstration of both, scores with high marks. Its also strange how both the pistol and caliber has fulfilled every need that I've had occasion to require it.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    So I was in my favorite LGS the other day with a friend of mine. He was looking in the case and seen one he liked the looks of (he's not a gun guy). Looked at it myself and said that I liked the looks of it, but not the caliber. It was a .40. Said that I didn't like the caliber (Not saying its a bad round, just don't like it for some reason) and would rather have a .357 than .40. Well this other random guy started in like I just told him to go screw himself.

His words were "Well, why not? A .357 is just over-penetration. Shoot someone with that and they're just gonna keep coming after you. The .40 does the same thing as a .45 when you shoot someone with it." The only thing I got in was "Well, I like .45." He cut me off and kept on going on about how great the .40 was about the time I started ignoring him and started looking at the 1911s.

I'd put money on it that he carries a .40, lol. I'm still wondering what made him go off like that. It wasn't in a conversational tone either. Sounded like he was just about to the point of yelling at me for not liking the .40. I really don't know.

Anyone else ever have someone just jump into the middle of your conversation like that? Not to offer advice, but to basically chew you out with how much they know?
    Oh, how I would enjoy such an encounter. :)

I would have responded that the .40 is a solution to a problem yet to be defined.

It has neither the capacity of the 9mm nor the power of the .45 but has more violent recoil than both. In actual shootings the .40 performs no better than 9mm with good defensive loads. There's a reason most top trainers use 9mm's and why we're seeing a resurgence in its popularity after the last 15 years of everyone jumping on the .40 bandwagon... they're now starting to jump off.

I feel vindicated because I never bought into the .40 hype. I have exactly zero .40's in my gun safe now days.

The .40 caught on for the same reasons 10mm did back in the late 1980's. The FBI adopted it after having a knee-jerk reaction to the Dade County shootout. When the FBI does something, everyone follows suit it seems. The FBI picked up the 10mm and suddenly every Tom, Dick and Harry had to own one. Many top manufacturers of the day brought a 10mm pistol to market. Then the FBI went to the infamous "FBI load" because the full power Norma 10mm loads that made it so effective were a bit much for some agents. The "FBI load" evolved into the .40 S&W and the FBI dropped the 10mm like a hot potato. Within a few years the 10mm fell out of favor and most everyone stopped making new guns chambered for it -- it darn near killed it. Everyone then clamored for the .40 S&W.

As a testament to the recoil comment I made above, if new agents can't qualify with the Glock 22 they will be issued a Glock 17 to re-qualify with. If they qualify with the Glock 17/19 they can carry it on duty. The FBI also allows for the carrying of the Glock 21 if agents qualify with it.

If the FBI adopted the .357 SIG you would see a run on .357 SIG handguns and within a few years the .40 would be clogging up the used gun racks across the nation.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with 9mm and .45 ACP. :D

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany

Lol, I can imagine. I carry a Glock and I like Glocks, but some people don't. Big deal. I'm sure you have your reasons. I just hate it when people don't like something (and not even willing to try it out) because some guy on the internet said it was trash. What you carry is different and kind of weird, but it works. It'll do the job :)

Oh, how I would enjoy such an encounter. :)

I would have responded that the .40 is a solution to a problem yet to be defined.

It has neither the capacity of the 9mm nor the power of the .45 but has more violent recoil than both. In actual shootings the .40 performs no better than 9mm with good defensive loads. There's a reason most top trainers use 9mm's and why we're seeing a resurgence in its popularity after the last 15 years of everyone jumping on the .40 bandwagon... they're now starting to jump off.

I feel vindicated because I never bought into the .40 hype. I have exactly zero .40's in my gun safe now days.

The .40 caught on for the same reasons 10mm did back in the late 1980's. The FBI adopted it after having a knee-jerk reaction to the Dade County shootout. When the FBI does something, everyone follows suit it seems. The FBI picked up the 10mm and suddenly every Tom, Dick and Harry had to own one. Many top manufacturers of the day brought a 10mm pistol to market. Then the FBI went to the infamous "FBI load" because the full power Norma 10mm loads that made it so effective were a bit much for some agents. The "FBI load" evolved into the .40 S&W and the FBI dropped the 10mm like a hot potato. Within a few years the 10mm fell out of favor and most everyone stopped making new guns chambered for it -- it darn near killed it. Everyone then clamored for the .40 S&W.

As a testament to the recoil comment I made above, if new agents can't qualify with the Glock 22 they will be issued a Glock 17 to re-qualify with. If they qualify with the Glock 17/19 they can carry it on duty. The FBI also allows for the carrying of the Glock 21 if agents qualify with it.

If the FBI adopted the .357 SIG you would see a run on .357 SIG handguns and within a few years the .40 would be clogging up the used gun racks across the nation.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with 9mm and .45 ACP. :D

OMG YOU COMMENTED IN ONE OF MY THREADS!!! I FEEL SO SPECIAL!!! Lol, just kidding, but it is nice to have one of the actual gurus (I guess you could say that) leave some knowledge and facts among the crazies in here, me included :D

I actually got to talking about the .40 with a guy at the range today and the more I thought about it as we were talking the more I settled on the fact that it's in that middle ground. Again, I don't think that it is a bad round. I sure don't want to be shot by one. It just seems like it tries to take the best of a 9mm and the best of a .45 and put it all into a single round that just doesn't work as well. Not to mention the recoil again or anything....

And once again I appreciate the knowledge drop :) I'm sure there are plenty of people that didn't know that.

Last edited:

Ryano23_98

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    peru / kokomo
    im with you on not likeing .40 . 9mm and .45 is the only cal. i buy for handguns. for me its just for cost in buying in bulk. I dont see the need to butt in on you and your friend at the shop . speak to when spoken too . this is why i stoped going to LGS . i know what i want so order it online. really wanting to get my FFL just for that reason

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    No offense to those with merely a preference, but I have a couple of Glocks in .40, and suffer the same from fools that tout the inferiority of both the make and caliber.

Its strange that in every objective demonstration of both, scores with high marks. Its also strange how both the pistol and caliber has fulfilled every need that I've had occasion to require it.

I have no problem with Glocks , They are great guns , One of the most reliable guns ever made .
    I just personally don't care for them .
    If they work for you Wonderful , if the 40 works best for you , Even better .

Have a great day .:ingo:

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    OMG YOU COMMENTED IN ONE OF MY THREADS!!! I FEEL SO SPECIAL!!! Lol, just kidding, but it is nice to have one of the actual gurus (I guess you could say that) leave some knowledge and facts among the crazies in here, me included :D
    Don't get too excited, I'm just a regular guy that likes guns. The only difference is I have a YouTube channel, but then there's millions of people with YouTube channels. I'm not really all that special... :D

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So I was in my favorite LGS the other day with a friend of mine. He was looking in the case and seen one he liked the looks of (he's not a gun guy). Looked at it myself and said that I liked the looks of it, but not the caliber. It was a .40. Said that I didn't like the caliber (Not saying its a bad round, just don't like it for some reason) and would rather have a .357 than .40. Well this other random guy started in like I just told him to go screw himself.

His words were "Well, why not? A .357 is just over-penetration. Shoot someone with that and they're just gonna keep coming after you. The .40 does the same thing as a .45 when you shoot someone with it." ...

This would be a good place to insert, "Shut up and mind your business or we might get to find out."

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I would have responded that the .40 is a solution to a problem yet to be defined........

The .40 caliber problem was defined.......twice.

Once because of the 1986 Florida shootout, the second because of the failure of a number of those within the FBI's ranks that couldn't qualify with the 10mm.

I would rather not carry a 9mm, for obvious reasons. While a .45 ACP is more than adequate for nearly every job, a capacity of 7 or 8 isn't practical for my own situation.

The answer to the question never asked, is rather that of the .45 GAP.

Top Bottom