• ...and so much more!
  • Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    First wife had a boa when we got married, about 6' long. Kind of interesting, everyone wanted to watch it get fed. When the first daughter was born I was a little concerned and secured the top of the cage . Found myself trying to put more stuff around it and on top one morning so it had to go.

It bit me twice when feeding it. Just a mistake on its part.

Don

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There have been reports over the years about some kind of rattlesnake in NE IN. I dunno. Never seen one myself.
    Of course the entire state is overrun with Cobras.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have traipsed over alot of the Hoosier National Forest in Perry County. I have seen Black snakes over the years but that's it. I still carry my 340PD loaded with snake shot during turkey and squirrel season though. I do wear snake boots when turkey and squirrel hunting, but that's more because I hate rubber boots in hot weather than anything. They help keep the ticks off my legs too.
    Morgan-Monroe SF seems to be a hotspot for Timber Rattlers though.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    There have been reports over the years about some kind of rattlesnake in NE IN. I dunno. Never seen one myself.
    Of course the entire state is overrun with Cobras.
    Northern Indiana only has massasauga rattlesnakes. All rattlesnakes in Indiana (massasauga, timber) are on the endangered species list. Killing them is illegal, just so you know.
    There is SO MUCH misinformation about snakes going around, and people reacting with frenzies of fear and revulsion doesn't help. Education is usually the answer, but as with spiders, for some folks no presentation of facts is going to help.

Last edited:

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Northern Indiana only has massasauga rattlesnakes. All rattlesnakes in Indiana (massasauga, timber) are on the endangered species list. Killing them is illegal, just so you know.
    There is SO MUCH misinformation about snakes going around, and people reacting with frenzies of fear and revulsion doesn't help. Education is usually the answer, but as with spiders, for some folks no presentation of facts is going to help.
    My property in Michigan has massasaugas on it. Only seen a few but the habitat is excellent for them. Great mix of swamp and hardwood, pine, etc. Lots of edge habitat. Every snake up there acts like a rattlesnake. Funny as heck to see.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Have been bitten by snakes 5 times. They were non poisonous and I was being stupid. Twice was a boa when it was being fed.

In the Marines we were on maneuvers at Pendleton and I was bitten by a rattlesnake. Fortunately it got stuck in the leather upper of my boot. It did not penetrate the skin though the venom was on my sock. Fun times.

Don

Top Bottom